Monitor acting up....

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I have an old CRT monitor for my computer. Lately it's started to sort of , I don't know, shake a bit. The screen does. Like the picture shrinks just a little bit for a second and then goes back to normal.

Any ideas what could be causing it? Is my monitor dying?

Earlier this month I got a new video card and went from the trial version of Windows XP Pro x64 to the real version (which I why I hope it's not my monitor dying, I'm still paying those off). Either of that could be the culprit, but I don't think so. One thing, though, the trial version did seem to have a driver for my monitor (an old Gateway EV700 that I got secondhand) but the real version didn't.

I've tried changing the refresh rate, but that doesn't seem to be it. I would try a different driver, but there only seems to be one stable version for my version of Windows. (The others either have graphic glitches in games or suffer from other problems). Though there is a new one I am going to download when I get a chance...

Psionicist

Explorer
Sounds familiar. The monitor sort of "resets iteself", changes its own size then gradually return back to normal - the whole thing takes 5 seconds or so. If it has only happened once or twice it's probably dust falling down on the catode inside the monitor. If it happens often, the monitor is probably dying. This is exactly what happened to my old CRT before it died. Thankfully many people are abandoning their CRT:s for TFT:s, so CRT:s are really inexpensive now.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Ah, thanks. Hopefully it's just dust.

Though thankfully you're right, CRT monitors are now fairly cheap - I saw Bestbuy had a 19" for $140 which I could afford in a pinch

Rackhir

Explorer
The symptoms you are describing are constant with the power supply for the monitor going. So it may well die on you at some point.

Drew Baker

First Post
Have you, by chance, checked the monitor's power cable? I was having similar symptoms, but reseating the power cable in the back of the monitor seems to have taken care of it.

--Drew

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases