The Akeema Story Hour - Following the Adventure Path Series (Updated April the 11th)

Daniel Knight

First Post
Forward

The world is full of defining moments. It is said, that one could simply be sitting watching a beautiful sunset when it occurs that elsewhere, that very same sun is the cause of heat exhaustion and the very soon death of some poor sod who’s lost his way in the desert. Or that while the idea of shoving pinecones up ones bottom might be considered somewhat erotic in Al Kelyar, unless you have sufficient lubricant it can actually be quite a painful experience. Or that love, the greatest joy known to sentient kind, is actually the cause of depression and suicide when there is a lack of it. They are all things people would rather not think about. Especially the pinecones. But they are all things that occur.

Along the same lines, it can be said that in an infinite universe with an infinite amount of possibilities, not only will a room full of monkeys type out Hamlet but they’ll also put on a production to make Kenneth Branagh give up his silly obsession with Shakespeare and spend his new found time on something closer within his talents… such as black lit tapestry weaving. This is all using logic. Science is not only unable to dispute it, but seems to support it to some extent. Somewhere, out there, there is an alternative you that’s living a perfect life with their perfect partner. Not only do they have great sex each night, but they also happily go shopping for shoes with one another. With an infinite amount of possibilities, logic dictates that this is a truth. Even if it is depressing knowing that this you is out there.

With these thoughts in the forefront of our minds, we can now accept that that following story is true. The people, places, and events are all real and have occurred in the not to distant past. The strange thing about this set-up, is not that this true story contains magic, dragons, and the occasional pinecone, but that there are a group of people sitting around a table re-enacting the events they couldn’t possibly know has occurred. These Players of the Game, are convinced that they have invented a bunch of misfit characters, who’s fate is dictated by the roll of a dice. Occasionally they’ll get a bit of corn dip on their character, and file them away at the end of the night ignoring them for another week.

Meanwhile, in this location where our story takes place, the bard Zyphnobod, is sitting on a hill looking up at the stars. His companion, a half-orc warrior by the name of Grod, sits next to him decked to the hilt in arms and armour, trying to remove a stone from his boot.

“Do you know,” said Ziphnobod “That up there, there is probably a planet impossibly far away, where our life is re-enacted in the form of a game?”

Grod squinted up at the night sky with a critical eye. “I’m not entirely sure I understand you there Ziph. Are we talking a game of cards?”

“Maybe. I’m not sure.”

“You are of course referring to the gods, yes?”

“No, no.” sighed the bard, “I was rather thinking of a world without magic, or people attacking each other all the time with swords, and where people dream of our lives to escape the boredom of their own.”

Grod examined the stone from his boot, rubbing it between his beefy thumb and forefinger thoughtfully. “You been at the spice again, haven’t you?”

And thus the conversation continued throughout the night, until of course Grod had the sense of mind to slap Ziphnobod over the back of the head with the palm of his hand. The two later on went down into the village pub, and got drunk and had a bar fight - but that as it were, isn’t really important to the overall story arc of the Players of the Game sitting around their table, so won’t be continued here. That’s not to say that Grod didn’t get kicked in the ribs, or Ziph didn’t have ale spilt down his tunic, it’s just that no one on this planet really gave it much thought.

So, without further a due, you are presented here with the life stories of some people from another planet. It’s not a work of fiction (as science seems to dictate that fiction is an impossibility), but rather a coincidental re-enactment of actual events. Some of the events have been created by some Players of the Game sitting around the table drinking far to much Red Bull and Coke, and some have been written by a bored cinema projectionist wishing that all he had to worry about were dragons, instead of bloody relationships, sour friendships, and the occasional suicidal tendency.

To Be Continued...

Last edited:

cthuluftaghn

First Post
Mind boggling....

Your prologue is the kind of stuff we used to ponder while staying up all night during the summer months of my high school years... drinking imported beer, and trying to solve the questions of the universe.

I look forward to the future posts of someone with a mind nearly as twisted as my own.

By the way... what IS at the end of this infinite universe? More infinity? A brick wall? An infinitely thick brick wall? Ack.... migraine.

Daniel Knight

First Post
Re: Mind boggling....

cthuluftaghn said:
I look forward to the future posts of someone with a mind nearly as twisted as my own.
I'm sure that was meant as a compliment! ;) Thanks. :):):)
cthuluftaghn said:
By the way... what IS at the end of this infinite universe? More infinity? A brick wall? An infinitely thick brick wall? Ack.... migraine.
Ever see Men In Black? I think they had it pretty spot on.

Last edited:

Daniel Knight

First Post
...Story Hour Continued

Prelude

Sparks rose into the night air, wafting on the summer breeze. King Liam I of Krailem dismounted his horse and moved forward, sweat beading on his brow. Seven of his best knights followed suit, as he pushed past an onrush of screaming soldiers covered in flame. He had no time for the wounded – the clerics would have to see to them. His aching feet continued forward, crunching as he tried to keep balance on the smouldering remains of soldiers long since gone from the world of the living. A roar echoed through the night sky as another dragon was destroyed.

“My Lord, please you must away!” A young boy – barely a man – staggered up to the king. His blue eyes squinted through ash caked around his eyes, burn marks running along his left cheek and down his neck. His clothing hung on him, dirty, battered and burnt. “There’s nothing left of the West Tower but rubble and fire. The wizards could only hold against so much.”

Liam stopped trudging forward. The heat was becoming unbearable now as his armour started to scold his flesh at the edges. “How long ago?”

“What?”

“How long ago, boy?”

“Just moments.”

“And Heldun?”

The boy hesitated. Heldun was the kings advisor and trusted friend. There were nine other countries involved in the war, and Heldun was also the only arcanist under Krailem’s banner. “He’s still in the remains of the tower my Lord. He’s magiced up some sort of a see through wall around himself. There’s also a sorceress from the desert lands and some elf, I think.”

The king squinted towards the flames in the distance. “Why didn’t the Blue Banner troops make it there?”

The boy frowned and looked away. “They did my Lord.”

“So where are they now?”

Another roar echoed through the night, bouncing off the nearby mountains. “The dragon my Lord, it came in so quick! I was with the Green Banners but there was nothing that could be done.”

Liam unscrewed the top of his water-skin and let the cool liquid slide down his raw throat. The initial rush of fleeing soldiers had passed, leaving the group alone on the battlefield with the moans of the dieing at their feet. One more rise, thought the king, and the tower would be visible. “And my daughter who was leading them?”

The boy remained motionless and didn’t answer.
Liam stared off into the distance and nodded at the silence. The wind changed direction and a blanket of heat wafted over them - the thick air filled his lungs and smothered his body sucking the energy from his muscles, and yet he felt icy cold fingers sliding their needle tips into his heart and stomach. He closed his eyes and the world seemed to change. The polluted air’s scent changed from blood and smoke to that of the salty sea, and the wind cooled and tumbled through his hair. He looked down to his daughter sitting on the edge of the pier, all grown up with her feet playfully splashing in the water. They were in the city of Melzibeth for diplomatic reasons. She looked so much like her mother, he thought, so beautiful and so defiant against all the odds. He liked to see her like this, when life’s hardest punishment was making her decide what sort of flower to put into her hair. She’d chosen a tulip. Things had been so different a week ago. He felt dizzy.

“Did she lead the contingent well?”

“She did my Lord.”

King Liam turned around and looked at his knights with coal black eyes. Battles continued to rage around them through the countryside. His knight stood before him, battered and bloody, exhausted and coughing up smoke and blood. A tear rolled down his cheek to his beard, cleaning a line in the soot. He sniffed the air and looked back towards the boy. “Now go and keep safe, you’ve done well for Krailem. If you want to continue helping, please see to the wounded – more then enough blood has been spilt today.”

The boy watched as his king once again started moving forward, knights in tow. “But my Lord, you’ll never live! To face the dragon is to stare into the face of Death himself!”

The king continued forward, ripping the burning armour from his pain-wracked body. “Good.” Liam said simply clenching his jaw, “I’ve got a score to settle with him.”

To Be Continued...

Last edited:

It's good to read an effective dragon attack, and the danger that the soldiers are undoubtedly in seems very real - nice, descriptive writing. Keep it going...

And who built that brick wall? Where did they come from? Ack.... migraine.

Last edited:

Krellic

Explorer
Meanwhile on this side of the Multiverse...

So far - great, you've got a cracking writing style that bodes well for the future. I only hope your players are up to it!!!

:D

cthuluftaghn

First Post
Re: Meanwhile on this side of the Multiverse...

Krellic said:
cracking writing style

I thought only Wallace used the term "cracking"... or was it Grommit? Which one's which? We Americans ain't edumacated 'bout such thangs.

Daniel Knight

First Post
cthuluftaghn said:
This reads like a movie script from a good action/drama. [Russel Crowe enters from stage left]
Hehehe… depressingly enough I could probably see Russ playing Liam. He’s about the same age and frame. As for it reading like a movie script, that’s probably true. My strength is that I’m very visual and my weakness is I’m far too overdramatic. Both of these things are fantastic for film or theatre (which is good, ‘cause that’s what I do), but I’m very interested to see if I can pull it off in story writing.
Krellic said:
I only hope your players are up to it!!!
Hehehe… I actually don’t have any players yet. I haven’t been able to organise a group since I moved states. This so far, is just setting up what’s gone before. I’m trying to build a solid background for the events that occurred involving Ashardalon, giving the beast a bit more weight then a couple of scared landmarks etc.

I’m glad people seem to be enjoying it. Thank you for your kind remarks.

cthuluftaghn

First Post
Your user ID still says Australia. Where in the States? There are lots of resources for finding players. Glad to help out.

I play with a couple from Melbourne myself.... Florida!

Remove ads