• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stupidest things PCs/DMs have done

Kwitchit

First Post
fiddlerjones said:
ACRONYM

Advanced
Colossal
Raging
Otyugh
Naively
Yearning for
Mayhem?
ULTIMATE PARTY KILL
Undead
Level-Draining
Tarrasque
Is
Munching
A
Town's
Entire

Population.
A
Roguish
Tavern-keeper
Yodels

"Kill
It
Lazy
Lummoxes"

Sejs

First Post
Mallus said:
When players come up with something like that I (usually) run with it. It would have been a terrific challenge to improvise up some 'evil math' with which to carry out the conversation.

Everything's done in base square root of -1.

Lalalei2001

Explorer
Got a new one...

During a World War 2 game, the players got captured by Nazis and brought before Hitler.

Player: I punch Hitler right in the you-know-where.

GM: Alright. Do you have a new character worked out?

STARP_JVP

First Post
OK. I think I can make a sizable contribution here. There's this one player in my group...well, see for yourself. Here are some samples of his handiwork.

Using a flame strike spell while me and another PC are in melee range of his target.

Using a summon swarm spell (I forget why, but it wasn't necessary by any means) and then using a gust of wind to disperse the swarm. The swarm had attacked my friend the cleric who was inside her tent. When Sir Isaac used the gust of wind, it blew the tent fifty feet backwards into a tree, with the cleric still inside. A moment later she emerged and said a striong of very un-holy words before climbing down the tree.

While about 7th level, the PCs encountered a Pit Fiend. Now, there was no way they were going to win that fight - the idea was that the pit fiend filled a story role, and wasn't a combatant. The pit fiend didn't even take notice of the PCs' presence - they were, after all, like ants to him. All this was, of course, until Mozart says "I hit it with my greataxe." I was in a charitable mood so I said that the pit fiend still ignored him after the axe bounced off him, but had I been feeling more malicious I would have beaten the living snot out of him.

This same PC had a habit of going after the low-level minions while his less-combat-oriented PCs got spanked when they went up again the various bosses. As a result, John Nash would then boast "I got fifteen!" to which his companions would say "Great. We got one, between us, and he beat the crap out of us. You're a real big hero."

The one time this guy did go up against a boss, he regretted it. In the same adventure as the pit fiend incident, an ice devil showed up. This is a CR 13 creature. Like the pit fiend, it was there to serve a story purpose - ie. eating the town. The smart and intended thing for the PCs to do was to find the source of the demon invasion and stop it. Hawking decided to go after the ice devil. This one didn't ignore him, and he's bloody lucky he passed his massive damage save, that's all I can say.

Einstein had only a passing role in this one, but it's still funny. Einstein was pretending to be a great general in order to drum up support for the resistance. The great "General Toth" was to be the face of the struggle against oppression. Which is fine. However, the effect was rather spoiled when, after apprehended some prisoners, the party's mage said "General Toth, would you guard these prisoners?", thereby alerting the prisoners, whom they released, that the great "General Toth" was anything but the leader.

When fighting a large (or possible Huge) snake, Asimov decides to kill it by jumping on its back and covering its eyes, meaning a screaming warrior is dragged by a blinded snake (which doesn't really affect it much anyway) through a dungeon hollering for help.

In the same campaign, Kasparov has a mount which is, I swear to god, a bird, which we all referred to as "Big Bird". We are fighting some dudes, many of whom are several hundred feet away. We're all mounted on horses, but Sherlock decides to fly on ahead on big bird. He lands in front of the guys three rounds before we get there - and, as he's outnumbered five to one, gets resoundly pummelled and has to meekly ask for our assistance.

But, for true unadulterated gormlessness, this story takes the cake.
We are in a city, looking for the person or persons who captured the DMPC, our friend (we actually like this DMPC. I know - we're weird). Anyway, I managed to locate someone who was the go-between between thugs and clients, and I was pretty sure I could get him to talk. Unfortunately, while I was tailing him, he spotted me and ran. Sounds like an exciting chase? Well, it was. I ran after him for a bit but started to fail my Con checks, so I dropped out. Wittgenstein decides to continue the chase, and he catches up to the guy, but not before the guy finds some local watchmen and says "help". So the watchmen protect the guy and, swords out, tell Socrates to lower his weapon. At this point, I arrive, having cried "stop thief" before, hoping the guards would take the guy, as had just happened.
This was my plan. As a bard (well, a sort of bard. Lone Wolf Sage of Lyris, actually) I was a skilled talker, and my plan, which I think was a good one, was to persuade the guards to turn the "thief" over to me, where I would deal with him myself. This had a reasonable chance of success. Unfortunately, Plato got in the way. He still had his sword out, and the guards did too. Everything would have been alright if he'd just dropped his weapon, as I had done, and let me handle it. The PC had the power to shatter stuff.
Me: Dude, just drop it.
Sartre: I shatter their swords.
The room exploded into cries of "No!" and people clutching their heads, banging heads on the floor, etc. The DM just stared, mouth open, at the new winner of the Big Dumb White Guy pageant. Finally, after five minutes of hysterics, he did the combat - which resulted in da Vinci standing in a pile of dead guards - with ten more on the way. He was dragged off to the stockade and hanged for his crime, and all of us merely said "What's for lunch?"

This player is best summed up in the following actual exchange. An NPC informed the players of the presence of mind flayers. Then:
Pythagorus (alarmed): Mind Flayers?
Another PC: Relax. You're quite safe.

We now have awards for this kind of behaviour. This guy wins every time.

STARP_JVP

First Post
Oh, I forgot one.
I forgot to mention the time we were playing Hunter: The Reckoning and had to get inside the house of a vampire to, you know, do what you do to 'em. His solution was to steal a single-engine prop and, in his own words "9/11 the f*cker."

Those of you familiar with the system will understand that the only mitigating circumstance here was that he was playing a Wayward, for which that sort of behaviour is standard.

The players were trying to get into Mexico by van, but some of them were slightly wanted by law enforcement authorities for questioning, but not for crimes. One of them (a Russian immigrant) had killed a crooked cop in self defense, and really wanted to avoid cops. The cops, of course, really hated him, but he wasn't found guilty of anything. The PCs split up into two vans, with the wanted guys (a hitman, martial artist and Russian ex-soldier) in one van and the weapons in the other.

The second van got through no problem - they got this low-level customs agent who would accept bribes, too.

The second group ran into a high-level customs agent with lots of Sense Motive and Spot. The ex-soldier stayed in the van while the martail artist and hitman went to speak with the customs agent, who was suspicious of their van - he was going to search it for contraband. The hitman has a low Charisma, no Bluff skill but high Sleight of Hand. He tried to feed the customs agent a line of BS but the agent wouldn't accept it. (Bluff -1 vs Sense Motive +13. :) ) On the other hand, the customs agent had no evidence to hold them, so he had to let them go anyway. However, he was very suspicious of these PCs, and obviously would be alert around them.

Suddenly the hitman decided he wanted a genuine customs agent badge. This came out of the blue, and prompted much disapproval from all of the other players. Nonetheless he figured he could pull it off. Nope. The customs agent saw him. The hitman offered a bribe - now the customs agent was even more offended. Finally, he drew the customs agent's gun and held it at him. This prompted the security guards watching through the closed-circuit TV camera to call in the Special Response Team aka the SWAT team.

Two players vs a SWAT team. They lost. They spent their time in prison while the rest of teh adventurers did their thing in Mexico (and got XP for that, too).

taran

First Post
Ok, I've got one. This is from a Technomancer game: upbeat urban fantasy, more or less.

The PCs are tracking an Atomic Lich. They've clashed with it once, it has far more magic than it should, and now it wants to kill them. They know where its base is, so they divert it with rumors of their presence in a different city and break in.

They get past all the traps and guardians, finally reaching a vast circular chamber with dozens of heads lining the walls, linked up by mana conduits to an evil-altar looking thing in the center of the room. The heads continuously scream with agony. Most of the party is all for destroying it. The Technomage has a different idea.

Technomage: "Don't you get it? The heads are still alive! The lich so strong because he's been doing ritual magic with them. If you put me into it, I can take it over and use it against him!"

The rest of the party talked it over, and concluded that it couldn't hurt. The "us" was left politely unsaid. They decapitated the technomage and used a necromantic ritual they'd found elsewhere in the complex to attach him to one of the unused sections of the wall.

Me: You become magically aware of the other heads in the artifact. Then you feel Zadkiel (the lich) peering into your mind. You feel that he has learned where you are, and is now preparing a necromantic spell of some kind.
Technomage (mouthing the words to his party members): Get...the...#*$!...out...

Lots of escaping later, the atomic lich learned some new spells from the desiccated husk that was once the technomage's soul. The rest of the team returned their fee and fled the country.

Hodgie

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
The players were trying to get into Mexico by van, but some of them were slightly wanted by law enforcement authorities for questioning, but not for crimes.
This is so much cooler because it is the players and note some stinkin characters! I vote this one wins. :D

Justin Bacon

Banned
Banned
This is the tale of two game sessions which probably qualify as my worst gaming experience ever. Ever. I was the DM. The highlights of the party's actions include:

- Discovering a "To Do" list which consisted of: "<name>", "Diary", "Travel Logs", and "Potatoes"; concluding that this must mean that <name> is going to be assassinated (what?); and spending two days keeping a secret watch over him to prevent the assassination.

- They eventually conclude that the person the "To Do" list belonged to was probably not going to assassinate <name> (particularly since they had been hired to *find* the person the list belonged to). They then conclude (conrrectly) that they should go and talk to <name> to find out if he spoke with the guy they were trying to find.

- But rather than simply talking to him, they approach him under the guise of hiring him for some fake business. Not a bad plan...

- ...except they decide to execute it by hiring a DIFFERENT person for their fake business in the hopes that this will elicit <name>'s attention. It doesn't.

- So they go to him and ask him if he's concerned that they've hired his competitor to do their fake business with. He's not.

- And thus, having never asked him about the guy they're trying to find, they conclude that he must not know anything about the guy they're trying to find. (They proceed to spend a couple of days turning the fake business they invented for their pointless ruse into real business, just to make sure their "tracks are covered".)

- They are attacked by an assassin who shoots one of them with a dart reading, "One day to live." They all correctly interpret this as a threat: That the guy hit with the dart will be killed within the day. So, that night, they decide to take safety in numbers. They all stay together in the common room of their inn... except the guy who was hit by the dart. He goes upstairs, by himself, and falls asleep. No one goes with him. He gets killed in his sleep after failing a Listen check. They are all shocked that this could have happened. (What makes this funnier is that the PC was a wizard whose familiar could have kept watch... except that he *explicitly* had his familiar drink itself into unconsciousness before going upstairs to bed.)

- They then concluded that the guy they had been hired to find MUST have been the one to kill their companion. (After all, he'd been plotting to kill <name>! He must be guilty!)

- The next day, the entire party is ambushed by six assassins. They kill the assassins and search five of the bodies. They decide not to search the body of the assassin who threw the dart at them the day before. Despite the fact that they've correctly identified this assassin as the leader of the group. (They just got bored of searching bodies.)

- I'm forced to intervene at this point because between these shenanigans and other, lesser shenanigans, they would have successfully managed to miss or ignore all the clues in the adventure. So slip of paper they would have found on the leader of the assassins is instead found on one of the other assassins. The slip of paper includes an address, today's date, and a time.

- They decide to investigate the address... but they wait until two hours AFTER the time shown on the slip of paper. (Thereby missing the meeting they were supposed to observe.)

- After seeing nothing out of the ordinary, they put the tavern under watch... for a couple of hours. Then they get bored and go back to their inn.

- The entire party goes back to the tavern the next morning, finding it closed. They break in and ambush the barkeep, attempting to murder him in his sleep. The bar was named the Old Adventurer's Tavern. The barkeep, who is a former adventurer as advertised, grabs his two-handed sword and proceeds to gut their fighter.

- The rest of the group escapes and hide in an abandoned warehouse (which they had purchased as part of their plan to make their fake business a reality). They have no way to raise their comrade (having already gone deeply into debt to get the wizard raised), so they dump his body in the corner.

- I take pity on them once again. The new character for the player of the fighter is introduced: He's actually got his own reasons to be suspicious of the character the PCs would have noticed at the tavern if they had bothered to show up on time, so he's been keeping him under observation for awhile. He saw him hire the assassins, but he only just managed to track the PCs down to this warehouse they recently purchased!

- "Ah ha!" they say. "We should tail this guy! He'll lead us back to his base and we'll probably find the guy we're looking for there!" And you know what? They're absolutely right! Hooray! All they've got to do is tail this guy back to his hideout and then we'll have a fairly straight-forward dungeon crawl and we'll get out of this adventure.

- So they tail him. The tailing sequence is scripted: He visits three locations (which become important later in the campaign if the PCs follow-up and investigate them) and then heads to his hide-out. The PCs tail him to the three locations and then, as he's leaving the third one, one of the PCs walks up to him and guts him with his sword.

I kid you not.

The pain continued for a few more hours as I tried to find various ways to stop the campaign from turning into a shipwreck before it even begun, while the players found all kinds of ingenious ways to shoot themselves in the foot over and over and over again. And then we have the big wrap-up to the comedy of errors:

- The halfling rogue, injured and down to 1 hit point, crosses paths with the cultists as they're kidnapping another person. (This was contrived, but it was another attempt to give them a lead after they had exhausted the dozens of legitimate leads in the adventure.) He's following them back to their hideout. Yay again! We can see the finish line!

- He decides to shoot his crossbow at them... Sonuvabitch. One 1st level rogue with 1 hit point vs. 6 cultists. Even I can't torque that one into something workable.

- So... uhh... they're looking for sacrifices. Yeah, that's it. So they revive him INSIDE THIER HIDEOUT. Brilliant. And there's the guy he's looking for! They're both trussed up right in front of the blood-stained altar!

- So he escapes his bonds (as I knew he would) and he frees the guy they've been trying to save... and then he stuffs him into the hollow altar. "Stay here, I'll be back with help!"

Boggles the freakin' mind.

He does manage to escape (barely) and alerts the city guard, who completes the dungeon crawl portion of the dungeon for the PCs while they stand around outside the lair.

Justin Alexander Bacon
http://www.thealexandrian.net

Remove ads