Need Cartography Help!

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I've been doing a lot of cartography freelance lately, and I've been messing around with rendering world maps in 3d using Bryce 5.5. A lot of people make some super realistic maps in Bryce using real word DEM data, but the problem with doing this for fantasy worlds is this data obviously doesn't exist and it has to be generated from scratch.

Does anyone have any links to programs or tutorials which can take the map I've drawn with mountains and such and convert that data to a realistic looking DEM format? I'm doing this trial and error for weeks now. Its not hard, but a real pain and I'm already way beyond deadline.

I think I can save a ton of time if there are either tutorials out there or a piece of software that could do what I am trying to accomplish. The thing is it seems like it would be ripe for a free software application. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fargoth

First Post
This link is one of the staples for any serious cartographer. I'm not entirely sure it addresses your exact question, but I do recall articles about DEMs, Bryce, and myriad other such topics. I hope it helps.

http://www.shadedrelief.com/

Regards,
Paul

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Fargoth said:
This link is one of the staples for any serious cartographer. I'm not entirely sure it addresses your exact question, but I do recall articles about DEMs, Bryce, and myriad other such topics. I hope it helps.

This is a great site and I have this link. I can't find exactly what I want on here since most of the info on this website is for making cartography of the real world using satellite data. Excellent website though. I just need a fantasy equivalent.

Edit: I've been on your website before as well and have you bookmarked. Good work. How do you do your 3d maps?

Fargoth

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
I've been on your website before as well and have you bookmarked. Good work. How do you do your 3d maps?

Depends on which map you're asking about. It also depends if a client has a set land mass I have to use or if I have carte blanc authority to create at will.

I’ve had to use Fractal Terrains, Bryce, WorldMachine and Wilbur for various 3D type maps.

I’ve never dealt with DEMs so I can’t offer much assistance in that area.

Fargoth said:

http://www.shadedrelief.com/

Regards,
Paul

Thanks for the link, Paul. I just found the maps I need for the next magical society book. :)

joe b.

Fargoth said:
Curses! Another potential client lost! Grrrrrrr! ;)

Don't worry about it. If I can't make the maps look the way I want them too you'll be the guy I contact. Already have your site bookmarked. :)

joe b.

Remove ads