Food question

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
MonkeyDragon said:
True, true. Honey should never be fed to babies. To be safe, don't give it to them until they're two.

Another thing is yogurt. The active cultures in yogurt are very good for adults, but can be bad for babies.

While I agree with the honey bit, never heard of this for yogurt. It is a common "first food" in many cultures (no pun intended). The bacteria in yogurt are actually good for the intestinal system including those of babies as far as I understand (as I eat a spoonful of Yoplait).

edit: as for not giving honey until 2 years old, most medical guidelines say 12 months for a normal healthy baby. Their immune system should be well developed by then. 2 years is extreme caution.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Another interesting note about honey: There has been some indications that eating honey from local producers can help reduce pollen allergies. By eating the local pollens in small quantities in the honey you may get your immune system to reduce its reaction to them.

Harmon

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
Another interesting note about honey: There has been some indications that eating honey from local producers can help reduce pollen allergies. By eating the local pollens in small quantities in the honey you may get your immune system to reduce its reaction to them.

Do you have a source on that? That is way cool.

I know a few people with allergies and, well no offense, but a source would be better then- "there was this guy on ENWorld- its a Board for gamers, ya D&D. Anyway he says-"

Also- why the hell has this thread turned into an America bad eating four food groups disgussion? :p

Harmon

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:

Hay Thornir- was there a source on this that I could pass on, or is this a folk lore thing?

LightPhoenix

First Post
Good Eats should come out on DVD. Seriously.

WRT herbs/spices, in addition to what Jdvn1 said, one thing to keep in mind when cooking with spices is that dried spices are quite a bit stronger than fresh ones. When following a recipe, make sure to note if it calls for dried or fresh spices. You can substitute one for the other in about a 1:3 ratio of dried to fresh - that is, if a recipe calls for a tablespoon of fresh oregano, a dried equivalent is about one teaspoon.

However, season to taste. While some spices go better with some things than others, really your best bet is too experiment. For example, I've found that with a simple cheese and potato soup, a few drops of tobasco sauce adds a nice subtlety to it. Cocoa is a must for a serious chili, even though you wouldn't really think it. Oregano and parsley tend to go with everything, and are better fresh, but that's just my opinion. Experiment and don't worry if something doesn't taste completely right, just make a note and try something different next time. Most of all, have fun!

Remove ads