Ways of Dividing Treasure-How do You do it?

National Acrobat

First Post
A little background first-I have been DMing for nearly 20 years, 12 with the same bunch. In 2e magic items were more class specific, armor and big weapons went to fighters, wands to wizards, etc. The group has always used the cast a d20 for every item you want rule to divide treasure. However, there was always a rule in place that class specific items went to the characters that could use them. In 3e I have noticed things are a bit different. Some classes can use skills such as "Use Magic Device" to acquire items like wands, Amulets of Natural Armor work for anyone, etc. This has caused a large amount of controversy now because it seems to me that the randomness of dividing treasure no longer has a place. Several players are upset. My question is, as a DM, this seems to me to be a character/player problem that they need to work out themselves. Do you agree? Should it be a fair system or should it be winner take all? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
This is a character problem. As a DM, I wouldn't get too involved unless the problem grows to the point where noone is having fun.

If people are really getting upset, you could always suggest that the gp value of the items are taken into account when treasure is split up. If everybody but Mr. X gets a useful item, then Mr. X should get a cut of the next treasure haul off the top to at least make up the value difference. That way he can buy or have items commissioned that will be useful to him.

Again, that's just a suggestion. Ultimately, whether your players do the accounting or just cast lots for everything, it's still up to them.

Spove

First Post
I would try to get them to resolve the issue in roleplay. They should be forced to stick with their alignment when debating who gets what. Although this can both help and hinder depending on alignment.

Ultimately if they are unable to resolve the issue I would suggest having the characters vote for who gets what. Disallow voting for ones self.

My only concern would be the dominate player who always asserts his/her will. If this player always ended up getting the goodies I would discuss it out of game with them.

The threat of not giving out any more magical items due to the game stall each time should prove enough motivation for the players to solve the problem in our out of game. Although I would only use this as a last restort tactic.

kengar

First Post
My players have used the Market Value of the item to "buy" the item from the party. Giving up an appropriate amount of cash to acquire it. Personally, I am not entirely fond of this method, but the players are satisfied with it, so it works.

In a situation where there is an item worth more than any one player can afford to pay, the party can decide whether they are willing to wait for the cash (sort of like a "loan" to the player with the item) or vote to sell it and split the cash.

The biggest drawback to the system is from a roleplaying perspective. As a DM, I don't like how the party will begin to view magic items as just a commodity with a price tag. Also, part of me is irked by their casual knowledge of the GP value on items (though I am too lazy to change them :D). It detracts from the flavor of the game and makes it 'about the numbers'. In a high-magic world (my last campaign used FRCS), characters often would rather sell a magic sword they found and use the cash to have one custom made because they'd "rather have Keen than Wounding", or whatever. Yes, I know I could have made enchantment services rarer or more expensive, but I was trying to run a fairly straight from the book setting/campaign.

Like I say, though, the main thing is the players agree on the method of loot division, so that keeps them happy and having fun.

Ulrick

First Post
"MINE!!!" Then have my character bash through a couple other characters to get it, if its a spell book that my fighter can't use. :)

Seriously, what usually happens in my games is that monetary treasure gets divided evenly among the players. Although I've been in games where all the money goes to a "group fund."

Magic items and the like are another story. These are divided out by class of course but really we've tried to spread them out through the party.

What works is something that's general agreed upon.

I played in games where the money and the magic items where divided by their monetary value. That gave me a headache cause we'd get like 2,000gp and a 12,000gp magic item.

The Dungeon Master

Edit: I'm not "The Dungeon Master" on this message board. I am

Ulrick

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
This is the best method I've found for dividing treasure among a party...

Add up the cash value of the magic items and divide it among the number of characters. This is each players allowance to 'buy' items from the party as someone said above. Also add up all the cash and divide it among the party members. This becomes additional funds for each party member to use if they run out of 'allowance' money. Then what I do is auction each item off. I just go down the list and ask who wants each item. If more than one person is interested, they start bidding with their cash money. Whoever wins the bidding gets the item, deducts the original cost from their allowance, and gives the extra money up to be divided among the rest of the party. Any items left over after the auction are sold off for half their market value and that money is then split between the party.

Garmorn

Explorer
kengar said:
My players have used the Market Value of the item to "buy" the item from the party. Giving up an appropriate amount of cash to acquire it. Personally, I am not entirely fond of this method, but the players are satisfied with it, so it works.

In a situation where there is an item worth more than any one player can afford to pay, the party can decide whether they are willing to wait for the cash (sort of like a "loan" to the player with the item) or vote to sell it and split the cash.

The biggest drawback to the system is from a roleplaying perspective. As a DM, I don't like how the party will begin to view magic items as just a commodity with a price tag. Also, part of me is irked by their casual knowledge of the GP value on items (though I am too lazy to change them :D). It detracts from the flavor of the game and makes it 'about the numbers'. In a high-magic world (my last campaign used FRCS), characters often would rather sell a magic sword they found and use the cash to have one custom made because they'd "rather have Keen than Wounding", or whatever. Yes, I know I could have made enchantment services rarer or more expensive, but I was trying to run a fairly straight from the book setting/campaign.

My group use a simlar method but the character use half of the appraised value of the items to make the division. This keeps in character and helps the roleplaying by having the either take the skill or trust the skill of some one else. Having customized items helps define the character better because now you are into the likes and this likes of the character, not the whim of the DM or dice.

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
My groups used to split the treasure into shares. Items were not assigned a price. Then everyone bid on items, like in an auction. The people who wanted an item really bad would go high and get it. Everyone was happy most of the time, and the items that no one wanted were sold. Easy.

Example: one wand, a sword, 32 gp, and a scroll.
party: thief, fighter, wizard.
fighter offers to trade his share of gold to the pot for the sword.
wizard trades his share to the pot and thows in some more for the wand and scroll.
thief laughs, grabs the gold and runs.

everyone is happy.

Remove ads