Let's hook up

ForceUser

Explorer
When did this phrase change from meaning "Let's hang out" to "Let's have sex?" Sometime recently within the American cultural tableau, "Let's hook up," "We hooked up," and "I hooked up wit Amy last night" now only connote sexual encounters, and I'm pissed because nobody told me until I high-fived my boss at work and said "Hey man, we should definitely hook up tomorrow."

Confusion ensued.

I still use "hook up" to connote "hanging out," but maybe I'm behind the language times, too ... however, it's been quite some time since I've given someone a high five! ;) :lol:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I couldn't agree more and I too am a traditionalist. I just look my wife straight in the face and say, "Let's have sex." None of this "Let's hook up." crap.

Although if I was going to push for a new saying, it would probably be, "Baby, I'ma gonna freak you!" That's just fun to say!

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
You may rethink the hi-five also. It is used as slang for HIV. HI and the roman numeral for five=V. Using the girl from the above example. Amy got HI-Ved last week, or something along those lines. I heard about it on Oprah. She was talking with people about teen sex and they use the phrase to refer to someone getting HIV.

Aeson said:
You may rethink the hi-five also. It is used as slang for HIV. HI and the roman numeral for five=V. Using the girl from the above example. Amy got HI-Ved last week, or something along those lines. I heard about it on Oprah. She was talking with people about teen sex and they use the phrase to refer to someone getting HIV.
First time I heard that slag was on ER a while back.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
First time I heard that slag was on ER a while back.
I admitt to hearing about it on Oprah when I could have picked something more manly like ER.

Remove ads