Extraplanar PCs

prosfilaes

Adventurer
A couple players in my upcoming campaign are wanting to play dusklings from the Incarnium books, which are extraplanar creatures. I'm concerned that one spell can effectively remove them from the campaign. If such a character gets sent back to their home plane, how would they ever get back to the party, short of some serious extraplanar adventuring?

To make it more complex, I'm running in Ptolus, which doesn't have the clearly defined planes of Planescape; in fact, the player's guide discourages all thought of the possibility of extraplanar travel. It would make the race more powerful to just ignore the extraplanar aspects; is that a major balancing factor or one that can just be ignored without danger?

smootrk

First Post
Sounds like you just need to say 'no' to this race, citing the setting, the cosmology, and other factors. Tell them they must take a native race (to that setting), else you might need to make serious changes to accomodate the choice, which it sounds like you are reluctant to do.

Dragonbait

Explorer
prosfilaes, first, I agree with smootrk. Second, just be glad your players are letting you know their race before had. I've had many a player just grab a "kewl" race/class combo without ever even taking note as to what race is and is not in a setting. "So I have a Warforged samurai for your low-fantasy medieval Europe game."

Last edited:

prosfilaes

Adventurer
smootrk said:
Sounds like you just need to say 'no' to this race, citing the setting, the cosmology, and other factors. Tell them they must take a native race (to that setting), else you might need to make serious changes to accomodate the choice, which it sounds like you are reluctant to do.

I already told them that I'd like them to use the races from Incarnium if they want to play an Incarnium class; it helps me explain why Incarnium doesn't have a bigger impact on the environment. I'm tempted to just remove the extraplanar trait, but I'm worried about the impact on the balance. I'm also curious how it's handled in other campaigns; the authors of the book didn't seem to consider it an issue worth discussing.

Hammerhead

Explorer
Note that in Ptolus there are all kinds of demons, devils, angels, aasimar, tieflings, etc.

I'd just remove the extraplanar tag and leave it at that.

Baron Opal

First Post
IIRC, if an extraplanar being come to Praemal, Ptolus' plane, they are stuck there. Extraplanars can check in, but they can't check out! That was a function of Monte's campaign, but I don't know where in the timeline the Ptolus product come in. My pre-order was late, and I haven't gotten my player's guides yet. :\

The Baron Opal

Odhanan

Adventurer
Hammerhead said:
Note that in Ptolus there are all kinds of demons, devils, angels, aasimar, tieflings, etc.

I'd just remove the extraplanar tag and leave it at that.
Or you keep the extraplanar for other spell effects, but it is simply impossible to banish the creature from the material plane, which isn't such a big deal and fits the background perfectly. Could be interesting if the character wasn't aware he's trapped on the material plane... ;)

Remove ads