Cleric with good touch/ranged touch attack

marune

First Post
I need to build a cleric (18th) with a good touch/range touch attack becaue he focus on poison/disease/necromantic spells.

So, I need him to have an high dex... loosing the benefict of having the heavy armor feat as class feature.

I'm not sure how to do it, some suggestions ?

His deity (FR, Talona) have unarmed strike as FW. His domains are Destruction and Suffering.

gabrion

First Post
An 18th level cleric should have at least a 30 Wis (+10 mod), so instead of dropping heavy armor and trying to pump Dex, I would just pick up the Zen Archery feat (Complete Warrior), which lets you use Wis instead of Dex on ranged attacks.

With divine power running, that's a +28 bonus for ranged touch attacks, meaning you'll have no problems hitting anyone but twinked out monks and ninjas.

marune

First Post
Hmm.. Zen Archery works only for Ranged touch attacks, but yeah it's better than nothing.

Of course he has Reach Spell.

Zamtap

First Post
sounds like one level of hierophant (from 3.5 DMG) wouldn't hurt.
divine reach would mean all his melee touch spells were now rays with a range of 30 feet
and the just touch ones are well whomsoever he wants to touch within that range (i think thats what the ability means) as per limits of the spell

if you go for more levels of hierophant you lose 9th level spells (you only get caster level not additional spells per day) so i'm guessing you probably don't want to do that. The "spell as a spell like ability twice per day" could be quite powerful

Vegepygmy

First Post
skeptic said:
Hmm.. Zen Archery works only for Ranged touch attacks, but yeah it's better than nothing.
Do you really need something to help your melee touch attacks? A cleric should have a decent Strength score anyway if you're going to be wearing heavy armor. Your original post seemed to suggest that the issue was needing a high Dex and then losing one of the chief benefits (AC bonus) because of the heavy armor you'd be wearing. Zen Archery fixes that pretty much completely.

marune

First Post
Vegepygmy said:
Do you really need something to help your melee touch attacks? A cleric should have a decent Strength score anyway if you're going to be wearing heavy armor. Your original post seemed to suggest that the issue was needing a high Dex and then losing one of the chief benefits (AC bonus) because of the heavy armor you'd be wearing. Zen Archery fixes that pretty much completely.

Yeah, I finally went that way (High Str, low Dex) with Zen Archery.

Remove ads