D20Future: Lasers on Starships

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Just a quick question that I had.

Is there anywhere in the d20F book that says lasers ignore Hardness?

Lasers deal Fire damage. As per d20M rules Fire damage is halved BEFORE applying Hardness.

Am I missing a rule somewhere that says Fire damage against VEHICLES isn't halved?

If not don't lasers make really poor vehicular weapons?

--fje

Roudi

First Post
Technically, the rules about objects and energy damage state that objects take half fire damage in MOST situations. This would be one of those times when I would assume the object takes full damage.

I actually addressed this issue in my first design blog, creating an energy damage subtype for lasers and plasma weapons. I'll reprint them here:

Fire (laser): Laser weapons create a focused point of intense heat. Objects do not take half damage from weapons of this type.

Fire (plasma): Plasma weapons fire electron-stripped matter at their targets. Objects do not take half damage from weapons of this type. Fire Resistance has no effect against weapons of this type.

Does this help any?

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
:)

That'll work. Seems odd that they'd have lasers do specific "fire" damage while all other energy-based weapons do a non-named "Energy" damage.

As-written it would seem that lasers would be pretty useless in the future ... but wreak havok in D&D-Land where so many things have DR (bypassed by energy damage).

--fje

genshou

First Post
I made a change similar to Roudi's and made all fire damage from laser weapons deal full damage to objects, but I didn't change it to bypass fire resistance. If it's still fire energy type, then the alien bugs in my Bughunters campaign have their DR bypassed by it, which is why the UFMC soldiers carry flamethrowers and laser rifles ;)

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
The vehicle rules say vehicles only take half damage.

However, spaceships are treated differently. (This was covered in Bullet Points.)

Do you remember which Bullet Points? I've read most all of them, and I don't remember seeing it. Stopped by and it's not in the obvious two Future-specific ones.

--fje

Remove ads