From the Pages of the Black Mask (OOC)

Yellow Sign

Explorer
This is the play by post continuation of a Call of Cthulhu d20 face to face campaign that I ran about a year and a half ago. This game is only open to my friends in the Mind's Eye Secret Gaming Society. I am not doing any outside recruiting for this game.

Welcome to the Pages of the Black Mask

normal_blackmask_nov_1942.jpg

This is the out of character thread for my Black Mask Call of Cthulhu d20 RPG Campaign. The game is set in 1926 San Francisco. It is a blend of the pulp mystery stories of Dashall Hammet and Raymond Chandler with the cosmic horror tales of H.P. Lovecraft.

All the players have some connection with the Hearst-Gilliam Publishing House and its magazines: "Black Mask", a monthly mystery/horror magazine, and "The Public Eye", a weekly tabloid.

Here is a website that I had made for the game.

dimMyst_L01.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny Bravo

First Post
Deacon Faust reaches into the inside pocket of his expensive custom tailored suit and retreives a silver cigarette case. Opening it he takes out a pricey turkish blend, tapping it on the case to settle the tobacco, then placing it in the corner of his mouth. Quickly striking a match his eyes take in the room about him as he lights the smoke. Inhaling deeply his body relaxes as he he exhales the smoke through his nose. "Anyone else joining us?"

Last edited:

Beaumont

First Post
"Hidden Mantis"

Jonathan T Beaumont looks up from his latest masterpiece. A griping tale about a man haunted by a small noise from behing his walls.

Mindseye

Explorer
The rich mahogany door to Faust's study flies open suddenly. Ezekial Sawyer rushes in, slams the door behind him, and leans with his back against the door. His hands rest upon his knees, obviously trying to catch his breath. "I think I was followed! This reminds me of that time in Rangoon.....or was it Calcutta?" he asks as he surveys the room over the top of his wire-rimmed glasses, his hair absurdly disheviled. "Who are we waiting for?"

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Deacon Faust, Jonathan T Beaumont, and Ezekial Sawyer have arrived! This should be very fun indeed! :)

Too bad that Conrad Nagel is unlikely to return. I am going to miss that drug addict with a foot fetish! :p

I bet that everyone is wondering about our resident authority on the occult and owner of the Codex Esoterica book shop, Dr. Mantell Roberts Ph.D. Who knows if he will be apart of these new adventures? Only time will tell. :uhoh:

Our friend from Emerald Isles plans to join the party and I know that everyone is very excited to be able to game with him. Even if it's not in person. I wonder what interesting character that he will bring to the group? :cool:

Also the noted powergamer Kenn is thinking about playing! Yeah Kenn! :D

Last edited:

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Some quick questions:

Does anyone still have the campaign background that I passed out at the beginning of the game?

What levels are you characters? 3rd or 4th. I cannot remember?

Does everyone who played before still have their character sheets?

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Let me explain how this is going to work.

This thread is the Out of Character thread. Basically this is were we chat about the game, ask questions, give out experience, level characters, etc. Most out of character stuff will happen here.

Once the game is ready to start I will start a new In Character thread in which all the actual game will run. It is there that all in character interaction will happen. No if you want to say something out of character in the IC (in character) thread then post it like this.

(OOC: I want to search the dead man to see if he is carring any papers. My Search check is +7)

(OOC: My attack bonus with the Tommy Gun is +4 and I do 2d6 damage if I hit!)

(OOC: How many goons can I to be hiding behind the crates? Spot +9)

Now all dice rolls will be done by me. Just tell me what your doing and any bonuses you might have and I will roll and tell you the results. This keeps the game flowing at a good pace.

Last edited:

Mindseye

Explorer
I still have the original handout and my character sheet. I may need some updating, as Ezekial Sawyer is only 2nd level! I know I missed a game or two, but I don't think it was very much.

Last edited:

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Mindseye said:
I still have the original handout and my character sheet. I may need some updating, as Ezekial Sawyer is only 2nd level! I know I missed a game or two, but I don't think it was very much.

I think 2nd level is about right. We started at first level. I am going to let everyone level up to 3rd level though.

Remove ads