A note on descriptions

Magi_Siani

First Post
Hiya gang;

I wanted to make clear that descriptions violations cannot be gotten around by substituting a graphic for text. If the graphic violates the setting rules, it will be treated the same as if it had been a text description. So...do not provide a graphic that has forbidden items such as horns, tails, non-humanoid ears and so on. There are a lot of graphics out there, and a lot of artists, using a graphic that violates the setting rules is as much a warnable offense as a text description of the same. As the CoC states, use of perceived loopholes in the Code does not justify their use. The intent of the setting rules is rather clear on the whole.

Siani

Babylon Logos

First Post
I don't use graphics in my descriptions, instead I try to get what is what in the words. But some things you find you just can't describe easily with words. So now to the question. What if the text doesn't include any restricted items, but the graphic, containing an item you couldn't quite get the description right on does include the restricted details. Is the graphic allowed as a suppliment to the actual description, or should it remain omitted because of restricted content?

Magi_Siani

First Post
Since the graphic is what people will key off of predominantly, restricted features may not be part of it. As I say, there are a lot of graphics out there and a lot of artists. It's fairly easy to see, if unfortunate to have to illuminate....people key off pictures a great deal. Many won't even bother with any text or so little that the picture really is the only clue to what the character looks like.

On a case by case basis I may allow images that aren't entirely up to specs, but I can tell you now that they would be small images, mostly head and shoulder pics with a solid text description and a clear note the offending bit isn't actually part of the character. The offending bit would also not be a majorly obvious feature of the image...so animal ears the size of a person's palm or whatnot wouldn't fly. I'd have to see them though, certainly where the Tavern is concerned. Remember, I said case by case...that doesn't mean it's a blanket permission slip to go ahead and do so.

I like seeing the graphics for the characters....but it only takes a few folks who think the setting rules are for everyone else to shake things up for the rest of us.

The large majority of what I have seen lately has been quite cool.

Siani

Meh

First Post
Oddly

It seems like you just keep adding things as you go along..

I don't think it is fair to limit a picture in specific to none violating what evers when it was never clerified, or punish the player for the lazyness of others that do not take the time to read the full description.

Last edited:

Magi_Siani

First Post
The Tavern Setting restrictions are as they are written. Descriptions of characters have to fit within those parameters. Doesn't matter if the description is done with text or pictures, it still has to fit within the Setting restrictions. Those have not changed since I wrote them.

If a player simply cannot do without forbidden features then there are two alternatives...The Rotunda of the Forgotten Realms, or the Grand Bazaar of Sigil.

If players want an Eberron or other setting rooms...then get enough people to warrant the extra work of keeping track of the logs and checking on activity that it requires. We have a lot of rooms and wouldn't mind adding more if need is demonstrated.

We even have two rooms for play with no structured settings at all...they are what the people playing in want them to be at the time. The Tavern restrictions will not be relaxed nor will the setting be changed to something else, so I recommend one of the above options.

So far, however, the settings other than Greyhawk don't get as much traffic....even FR characters insist on hanging out in the Tavern...and they must still abide by it's restrictions. Anyone in there must do so.

May your days be blessings and not burdens.

Siani

Magi_Trelian

First Post
Meh said:
It seems like you just keep adding things as you go along..

I don't think it is fair to limit a picture in specific to none violating what evers when it was never clerified, or punish the player for the lazyness of others that do not take the time to read the full description.
What about punishing the laziness of those who don't take the time to find a picture that doesn't violate the rules? We don't really want to do either.

The ability to add pictures is pretty new to ISRP. New things take a while to iron out and to figure what works and what doesn't.

One thing that might work is having two pictures, one for the restricted form and one for the unrestricted form, but that takes up a lot of load time for people with dialup connections and turns them into bootezu bait. You could post the links instead of the actual files and that would help.

There are a lot of people around who love manipulating graphics and might be able to take the offending portions out of your picture. But then again, there might be copyright issues with that. Claiming someone else's work looks like your char is mild (I think) compared to changing their work on them.

If you're not sure about your description, please, please send a version of it to Siani or any of the other Magi and see if it's okay as is, or what can be done about it if not. You can send them through PMs here on EN World.

Amber

First Post
racism

personally i think the whole restriction thing is a little bit racist in its own off handed way....i mean seriously, this restriction thing is getting WAY, WAY, WAY, out of control...pretty soon we will only be allowed to play humans...diversity is what makes dungeons and dragons what it is..being able to tweek and manipulate little things here and there to make your character unique from everyone elses is what a lot of players enjoy doing when creating a character. thats my opinion and how i am feeling right now about the whole thing...friend of amber's

Tharivious

First Post
Quite frankly, that's a bit off base.

The tavern, in particular, is inside a human settlement. Meaning that races allied with humans make sense to be there with some regularity, and races obviously enemies of humans would be shunned and driven out... if applying suspension of disbelief.

You'll note that the other races are permitted as long as they are disguised to fit within boundaries of the common humanoid races (elf, dwarf, halfling, gnome, etc.), or conceal themselves under sufficient cloaks to hide their more alien features.

What you call racism is a fallacy; what is actually being practised is a realistic exclusion system that wasn't possible before the ISRP became independantly operated. Simply put, a normal town in a medieval setting populated by individuals who aren't necessarily used to the supernatural being thrown in their faces on a constant basis (ie, Oerth, where the tavern is located, which is a low-magic setting to my knowledge), won't tolerate monstrous races flitting about without reproach.

Hence, the reason that Sigil was made into an all-allowed setting, as the natives of that setting are used to such creatures being present.

Meh

First Post
Trel---What about punishing the laziness of those who don't take the time to find a picture that doesn't violate the rules?---

When you are looking for a picture that suits your Idea of a character you can spend days looking, so do throw it off as lazyness, I am sure most of you have taken care to look a long while.. But to not read an already layed out description that is lazyness.

And about artist, most actually wont money, and really I don't need to be spending money on a character pic.

Remove ads