Is D&D Your Primary RPG?

• Yes

Votes: 193 70.2%
  • No

Votes: 82 29.8%

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I can't even imagine what this would look like! Sounds cool, though.

The world is divided into Eight single-biome (more or less) Worlds, including the Underdark and Star Heaven (which are also always below/above all of the other six), that are connected by the ancient and mysterious Warp Pipes. Plains World, Jungle World, Desert World, Ice World.

The playable ancestries in D&D terms are Humans, Tortles, Gorilla-Orcs, AD&D Kobolds/Halflings, venomous Vegepygmies, and CN magical rogue Warforged. Room for more, certainly: Hobgoblin/Oni, Thri-Kreen, maybe Gith would all fit. The Gorilla-Orcs are roving bandits and pirates, while the Kobold-Halflings prey on the cities. Vegepygmies are used as slaves by more powerful civilizations (all of them). The Warforged are terrors; they're mercenaries, disciplined and professional on the job, who spend all of their blood money on supporting scholarship and the arts, and performing elaborate random acts of senseless violence/kindness.

All of the Worlds work on a Points of Light framework. Human cultures are either barbarians, scrappy pastoral folk, or decadent city-dwellers. Tortles are in a brutal civil war between the Loyalists serving the (centuries) new Evil Emperor and the Traditionalists trying to preserve their ancient LN(G) dwarf-druid traditions.

There are no horses. People who can afford them ride giant flightless birds. Even wealthier people can afford giant flying birds. Magically talented craftsmen can build automobiles and skyships. The most common weapons are hammers and spears. Everything is magical, and powerful PCs/NPCs are explicitly magical regardless of class.

Angus MacDonald

First Post
Back in 1975, D&D was the only game in town.

Then I found RuneQuest.

Since then, I have looked for the best system to fit the setting, rather than forcing a setting to comply with a system. I have GMed using over two dozen game systems in my time, and played under even more. My current preference is for lighter systems, such as FATE, but I also have a fondness for Ars Magica, which is notably crunchy.

Arilyn

Hero
The world is divided into Eight single-biome (more or less) Worlds, including the Underdark and Star Heaven (which are also always below/above all of the other six), that are connected by the ancient and mysterious Warp Pipes. Plains World, Jungle World, Desert World, Ice World.

The playable ancestries in D&D terms are Humans, Tortles, Gorilla-Orcs, AD&D Kobolds/Halflings, venomous Vegepygmies, and CN magical rogue Warforged. Room for more, certainly: Hobgoblin/Oni, Thri-Kreen, maybe Gith would all fit. The Gorilla-Orcs are roving bandits and pirates, while the Kobold-Halflings prey on the cities. Vegepygmies are used as slaves by more powerful civilizations (all of them). The Warforged are terrors; they're mercenaries, disciplined and professional on the job, who spend all of their blood money on supporting scholarship and the arts, and performing elaborate random acts of senseless violence/kindness.

All of the Worlds work on a Points of Light framework. Human cultures are either barbarians, scrappy pastoral folk, or decadent city-dwellers. Tortles are in a brutal civil war between the Loyalists serving the (centuries) new Evil Emperor and the Traditionalists trying to preserve their ancient LN(G) dwarf-druid traditions.

There are no horses. People who can afford them ride giant flightless birds. Even wealthier people can afford giant flying birds. Magically talented craftsmen can build automobiles and skyships. The most common weapons are hammers and spears. Everything is magical, and powerful PCs/NPCs are explicitly magical regardless of class.

My daughter would love this. She's an adult so I'm not implying your campaign is for kids! Sounds like a lot of fun. Love the ancient and mysterious warp pipes.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
My daughter would love this. She's an adult so I'm not implying your campaign is for kids! Sounds like a lot of fun. Love the ancient and mysterious warp pipes.

Running two games currently. First is definitely not for kids, as I'm deliberately pushing the boundaries of my group's tolerance for sex and violence for the "Rated R for Robocop" experience. We're going to start steaming it on Twitch as soon as we work out some logistics. Game is episodic in nature, featuring the same characters in different adventures without any real continuity: first session was roughly based on Howard's Tower of the Elephant, with the Tortle rebel Knight trying to turn the local Governor against the Emperor, my brother's oversexed Kong gladiator serving as the Duke's champion, and a Human assassin and a sorcerer/thief trying to ply their respective trades on the Duke and the Duke's sealed tower, respectively. Featured a hilarious erotic social duel between the Kong and the sorceress as they tried to counter-seduce each other for cross purposes; everyone voted them the best players of the session.

Ended with the Tortle honoring the ancient star-god's final request to be... liberated from its moral form. Nobody got paid that time, making next session's Advancement easier.

Next story is based on Jack and the Beanstalk.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Yes, and the reason as simple. As others have stated, it's what is by far the easiest to get a group together or find a group to join. To be honest: after 30+ years of playing D&D, I'm just weary of it. I like it a lot still. It's just... uh... been there; done that.

That will be changing in the very near future in that D&D will be come the co-primary game as I found a group that meets every other Saturday to play Savage Worlds. I'll then be playing D&D and Savage Worlds every other weekend.

Maybe. ;) Because right now, I'm taking a break from all RPGs and enjoying that. Forums during morning coffee is about the extent of the energy I'm putting forth at the moment.

Last edited:

I play D&D every week on Sunday. Recently it's a friend who is running a D20 - Future campaign (third edition). And every few weeks we continue my 3.5 pirate campaign. Yep, it is still going strong.

Remove ads