Acid attacks and ranged attacks against weapons...

RigaMortus2

First Post
1) Doesn't it state somewhere that acid ignores hardness? Or am I making this up? I thought that was a rule somewhere. Does acid have any special effects against objects?

2) Can you make a ranged attack against an opponent's weapon (without the ranged sunder feat)? Against their shield? Against their armor? Against a piece of clothing like a belt or backpack strap?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
RigaMortus2 said:
1) Doesn't it state somewhere that acid ignores hardness? Or am I making this up? I thought that was a rule somewhere. Does acid have any special effects against objects?

The 3.5 Main FAQ used to be contradictory on this point, but its been updated to be consistent. What it now states:

Hardness applies to all types of damage unless specifically
stated otherwise by the effect. (Page 165 in the Player’s
Handbook is sometimes misinterpreted to suggest that hardness
doesn’t apply to acid and sonic damage; in fact, the phrase
“apply [damage] normally after a successful hit” simply means
that the damage isn’t halved or quartered, as other energy
damage is.)

PHB p165 states:
Energy Attacks: Acid and sonic attacks deal damage to most objects just as they do to creatures; roll damage and apply it normally after a successful hit. Electricity and fire attacks deal half damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. Cold attacks deal one-quarter damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 4 before applying the hardness.

I agree with the FAQ in this case; acid and sonic damage do not bypass hardness, except in the case of Psionic energy powers that specify a sonic form that ignores hardness.

-Hyp.

shilsen

Adventurer
RigaMortus2 said:
2) Can you make a ranged attack against an opponent's weapon (without the ranged sunder feat)? Against their shield? Against their armor? Against a piece of clothing like a belt or backpack strap?

No. Sundering is specifically a melee attack option, with the Ranged Sunder feat allowing one to get around that restriction. You can't sunder worn armor, whether using melee or ranged. And attacking worn items is listed under the Sunder section of the rules so I'd say that needs to be a melee attack too.

Remove ads