Just my luck.

Miles Pilitus

First Post
In our group, there exists such a thing known as Don Luck, when tends to be whenever I roll, I can get any results above a 10 for roughly about 9 out of 10 rolls. This wouldn't be so annoying if it wasn't just me. We've got a couple of people in this group, who when they need to roll the 20, they get the 20.

I know it's just a bad run of chance, but it's hit me evey two or three sesions, a night where I can't roll well to save my charater's life, in one case quite literally. But our DM has to design for encounters where the PC's will be rolling the 20's and doing things that con drop a monster in a single good roll or pass that DC in the low to mid 20's.

I don't know what there is I can do about it, except start running a game again, because I never seem to get Don Luck when I'm running something.

Miles Pilitus

First Post
the Jester said:
That sucks. Take 10 or 20 whenever you can.

I've been doing that, and also just throwing my roll to give someone else a +2 bonus when I can, because I know they are going to roll well. Then weapons get drawn, and my character, right now our party's front-line, can't hit anything, even in rage.

Nebulous

Legend
We have a player who actually records and charts his rolls. It's...not quite as geeky as it sounds. He likes to be able to look back and show us,"Hey guys, here's where my dude fell into the pit, dropped his sword, got bit by 17 scorpions, failed his saves, and then slipped in the mud. Yay."

Stalker0

Legend
We had a player in my game who rolled horribly for several game sessions. I mean, I even took out pen and paper just to prove that he was in fact rolling horribly and not just our perceptions. But lately, he's been on fire, last game every roll went his way.

You can try new dice as it is possible your dice are bad, but otherwise take heart, statistics always pan out in the end.

Oryan77

Adventurer
You have to charge your dice! When you aren't rolling them, leave them all face up on their highest numbers :p

Don't let anyone touch your dice.

If a d20 rolls bad, throw it across the room and start using another d20. Repeat this until you get a d20 that's being a good boy.

Have someone else roll your dice.

A couple of sessions ago, my NPC cast Fear on the 4 PC's. Three of them rolled a 4 and failed. This is a new group and I'm realizing that everytime they have to make Will saves, they all fail. Even the Cleric with a +7 Will fails. I feel bad now when I start using those spells.

Rhun

First Post
Oryan77 said:
You have to charge your dice! When you aren't rolling them, leave them all face up on their highest numbers :p

Don't let anyone touch your dice.

If a d20 rolls bad, throw it across the room and start using another d20. Repeat this until you get a d20 that's being a good boy.

Have someone else roll your dice.

I agree with all these tactics.

EricNoah

Adventurer
My dice situation: when I DM, my dice are super hot. When I play, they're pretty cold. Same dice. I rolled two pairs of natural 20s within a minute of each other last game when I was DMing.

Oryan77

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
My dice situation: when I DM, my dice are super hot. When I play, they're pretty cold. Same dice. I rolled two pairs of natural 20s within a minute of each other last game when I was DMing.
I'm the exact same way! Except I have my "player" dice and my "DM" dice. I always roll terrible when I'm a player. When I DM, I sometimes feel so rotten. I may have setup an encounter that was deadly, but if the group plays smart, they can overcome it. That's right when I start rolling 19's-20's. I won't roll like that when the wimpy goons attack; only when the guy with enormous damage attacks :\ Last weekend I rolled a 20 crit followed by another 20 confirmed crit.

Then I just got a blood red die that I call the "Death Die". A couple of months ago I bought some miniatures from a guy and he threw in this blood red die. The dude must have been a a devil worshiper or something, because this die is evil!

We've had 4 sessions since I got the Death Die. Just goofing around I rolled the die at the beginning of the first session just to show it off. Bang, a 20. Everyone said, "You aren't using that thing". The second session; I did the same thing....rolled another 20. I forgot to do it on the third session. Last week at the beginning of our fourth session; I wanted to show it off to a new player so I rolled it again....a freaking 20. I'm afraid to actually use it during the game. Maybe I sold my soul for the die and didn't realize it. I've heard Lucifer is tricky like that.

Remove ads