Transcendence Now - Issue #1

Dr. Emerson Walden:

The letter posted on the inside of your doorway this morning was very clear, a representative from the people behind the facility wanted to see you, personally. It was very open ended, sounding promising without being specific at all. Just that when 4:00 pm came about, you'd be allowed to walk out the door of the living area to meet with the representative if you so chose.

That was the major news of the day, well, beyond the fact that in less than 24 hours everyone in the group would be free men and women again. The excitement was palpable in the air, though Miss Maleck and Theresa were off in a recreational room visiting some sort of a virtual world (an illusionary treat Dr. Walden has been treated to twice), Kenny was, unsurprisingly, just outside the door to the room where Mal and Theresa were at trying to listen in. Moving across the room with suitcase in hand, Preston was humming a pleasant tune as he cleared retrieved the wild assortment statues and paintings he decorated the area with.

Three months had gone by fast, and so had the hours and minutes of this day. It was 4 o' clock.

RobotRobotI

First Post
Sollir Furryfoot said:
"If you like, maybe we could meet up again a few weeks after we get out. I have some stuff to do back at home, mostly getting my affairs in order, assuring my former colleagues I haven't died or anything of that sort. After that though, we could go on vacation somewhere, New York City perhaps? I mean, money could be a hassle but I figure I could do some sort of stage act for a while to make some change. And then, we could..." Theresa stopped, mid-sentence, "Well, there I go rambling again, I mean, you haven't even mentioned if you were interested or not. We really don't have to, but I think it'd be fun..." She said trailing off and looking moderately embarrassed.

"If I wanted to say 'hey, no', I would've interrupted you." Mal's lips tug up a bit, and smiling, she continues, "I've never been to New York, but I guess it's probably a neat place. I wouldn't mind heading out there at all. In fact, I don't know where I'm going after we get out of here. I should probably let my parents know I'm not like, dead, or something, but honestly, getting ahold of them isn't a very high priority for me."

Mal takes a bite of her sandwich, and chews it quietly. After it's gone, she continues; "New York sounds like as nice a place as any. Maybe I should just move out there, huh? I could probably find a job somewhere. A highschool diploma should be enough to get me something, right? It's not like I'm a dropout, yeah? And then, I dunno, I'll get an apartment there, and you can crash at my place - money won't be a problem."

Mal picks idly at her sandwich, and speaks up once again while doing so. "Imagine the application. 'Qualifications: Superhuman.'"

Rybaer

First Post
Joe gives Leo a perplexed look at his abrupt exit, but says nothing.

He watches quietly while Miranda rummages through the dark refridgerator. After she's poured herself a glass of milk he decides to try to be a little conversational.

"Hey Miranda," he says. "So, are you looking forward to being done with all this? Getting back to the outside world?"

ByteRynn

First Post
Until the appointed time, Dr. Walden hums a little tune to himself while packing up his belongings, boxing up the books he brought with him, and daydreaming about how his interactions with the world might change now that he is something more than human.

At 3:58 he walks to the doors, and steps out, looking for the representative.

Festy_Dog

First Post
Shalimar said:
She continued on over to the table where Lukas and Felicia were eating lunch, and made up a plate for herself. "Hi guys."

Lukas smiled welcomingly.

"Makenzie, glad to have the last treatment finished with?" he asked in his refined German accent, "Quite a weight off the shoulders I found."

Shalimar

First Post
"Makenzie, glad to have the last treatment finished with?" he asked in his refined German accent, "Quite a weight off the shoulders I found."

"Yes, it is nice...though I'll miss talking to Angel, at least for awhile. She said she was going to be done with the program in a couple of months, I wonder what her deal with the program was." the teen replied, her like of Angel pretty evident.

"Hey, I know our powers don't work on each other, but do you think there are other people like us that are getting powers that would be affected? It just seems kinda weird for them not to work, what do you think?"

Festy_Dog

First Post
"I guess it all depends on how wealthy our benefactors are, but then you'd have to wonder what benefit there was in creating groups and keeping them unaware of each other. Perhaps creating experimental conditions of some kind..." Lukas trails off for a moment, "But, if there were others could we affect them? Hmm, I wouldn't say no to that question. Particularly if this was a corporate situation and others were being made by rival companies, but then they'd want a profit and I doubt releasing us free of charge is in best corporate interests. A tough question Makenzie, but I don't think we know enough to solidly say there even are others let alone whether we can affect them. But then again, the speculation is fun, is it not?"

Joshua Lucas Trevin:

"Oh? Have you thought of a cover-up story for how you attained your telekinesis? I somehow can't imagine you marketing yourself as a stage magician, relying on the audience's skepticism to prevent them from prying into your personal life. Nevertheless, acquiring some funds early on sounds like a wise choice, so long as you didn't attract too much attention to yourself." Will opines, finishing organizing the pieces in the chessboard.

He makes a casual glance towards Joe and Miranda, who are talking by the kitchen, before turning back to Josh, "Quite the odd couple, no?"

Lukas Clausewitz/MaKenzie Wolf:

"I wonder how much each of us 'costs'," Felicia says, entering the conversation, speaking as if she had given the topic much thought already, "I mean, lodging-wise, the food isn't fantastic but its better than what you get at most hospital cafeterias, labor-wise, the technicians they use must be adequately trained at least, and who knows how expensive the technology they use is?"

"It makes sense that we can't use our powers on each other. Think about it, we're already not allowed to use our powers blatantly outside of their tests. For those of us with more offensive powers like yourself," Felicia notes, referencing Lukas, "There's much less incentive given to use them during this time if you couldn't affect anything with them. They probably didn't want us hurting each other, disrupting the tests...but when I say it all out loud like that it comes off as if I'm a tin-hat, conspiracy theorist." Felicia finishes, laughing to herslf a bit, "God I can't wait to get on the outside."

Ms. Maleck Blackwell:

Theresa said nothing, her smile returning and growing as Mal spoke in her usual charismatic way. When she did speak, she started to giggle a little, "I don't imagine we'll have any trouble what so ever. Not to brag, but jeez, if this program only took 25 people from all over the place, we must be pretty darn qualified."

"Living in New York would be fantastic! At least for a while. I've never really visited there but I've always read about it. But of course, I'd earn my own wages and help you pay for the place! Wow Mal, I'm pretty excited now, pretty soon we can be having some real picnics."

"Of course, there are some advantages to my illusions. Any requests?" Theresa asks, smiling.

Last edited:

Samnell

Explorer
Sollir Furryfoot said:
"Oh? Have you thought of a cover-up story for how you attained your telekinesis? I somehow can't imagine you marketing yourself as a stage magician, relying on the audience's skepticism to prevent them from prying into your personal life. Nevertheless, acquiring some funds early on sounds like a wise choice, so long as you didn't attract too much attention to yourself." Will opines, finishing organizing the pieces in the chessboard.

Josh nodded, "Well they said we go public at some point. I've enough of a nest egg to make it for a while. The King pays well when he wants to hear you play.

He makes a casual glance towards Joe and Miranda, who are talking by the kitchen, before turning back to Josh, "Quite the odd couple, no?"

"I'll say," Josh agreed quietly, "The Cat Lady's odd all on her lonesome. I admit I've not spent much time around Joe since he started hanging about Leo."

RobotRobotI

First Post
"Of course, there are some advantages to my illusions. Any requests?" Theresa asks, smiling.

"C'mon, now, Theresa. I know as well as anyone not to push art," Mal giggles out. "Real picnics'll be great. Central Park, right? That's in New York, right? Sounds like fun." After taking another bite of her sandwich, Maleck continues; "... Huh. You brought up qualifications, yeah? Wonder what it was they were lookin' for in us. I don't remember putting out anything in the Classifieds or anything," Mal grins, "Nineteen-year-old Highschool graduate seeks superhuman powers, three-month getaway, Oh-Bee-Oh."

Remove ads