The Game of Kings

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"Apparently, and you're it, Stone Bones. I'm Morika, if you need to get my attention," she says with a careless wave of her hand, and goes back to scrutinizing her potential employer and companions.

Bobitron

Explorer
Glasia is silent as she walks toward the pier, her voluminous traveler's cloak covering her features. She carries the covered birdcage at her side, obviously tiring from the weight. Approaching the shark-festooned ship, she notices others walking up as well. She cringes at the sight of the band of what must be adventurers, but steels herself and steps forward. The letter did say part of a group, she thought, pursing her lips as she studied the group from the depth of her hood.

A finely-dressed and sharp-tongued kobold. A warforged, complete with the innocent attitude she had experienced in the others she had met. A shifter, dangerous and doing her best to show it. A rather nondescript half-elf. A pale and slender man with a somewhat otherwordly feel about him. A hard-faced man with haunted eyes.

Some companions. Her mind was already raising the doubts that had plagued her since leaving on the lightning rail so long ago. This looks more like a gang of criminals than heroes. If Father saw me here...

A faint noise from the cage snaps her attention back to the situation at hand. Making a quiet hushing sound, she removes the crumpled letter from her pocket and steps up to the guards, laboring with the bulk of the cage.

"I am here to see Elinvath Sargessean," she says softly but clearly. "My name is Glasia Domarus." Her pale and slender hand extends, clutching the paper.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
When the warforged replies to the shifter, the kobold nods slightly, as if it expected the response. If it heard the quiet whispers of the shifter, it made no sign.
Bobitron said:
A faint noise from the cage snaps her attention back to the situation at hand. Making a quiet hushing sound, she removes the crumpled letter from her pocket and steps up to the guards, laboring with the bulk of the cage.
The kobold turns its gaze to the new coming walking awkwardly under the weight. At the noise from her belongings, its nose twitches a moment, as if smelling something. With a keen eye, it notes that this other walks away from the rest.
Glasia said:
"I am here to see Elinvath Sargessean," she says softly but clearly. "My name is Glasia Domarus." Her pale and slender hand extends, clutching the paper.
As the woman speaks her question, the kobold stops. It crosses its finger over its walking stick, and places its enlongated snout on top of them. It looks quietly at the girl and the old man, obviously waiting.

Bront

The man with the probe
Carver begins to say something again, but sees the girl approach and speak, so he chooses to say nothing and listen.

Once she finished speaking, "Yes, I'm here to see Elinvath as well. I'm Carver Banderelli."

OOC: Note, warforged with last names are extremely odd, let alone one who has a common gnome name.

James Heard

Explorer
The man carrying the long object wrapped in oil skins simply shook his head at the discussion. His bloodshot, half-open eyes seemed to confirm a rough night in the cups, but they still didn't seem to miss the details, effortlessly pausing on each of the people on the dock and seeming to measure them. The off-white of his open shirt seemed to be a natural consequence of time, but very little care had been given to the half-stitched holes and split seams. In contrast, the malicious-looking foreign leather armor he wore almost glistened from a fresh oiling. There was no telling how early an obvious drunk as himself had to get up this day to manage that.

Disregarding the conversation, he silently offered to aid the young girl carrying the cage. And so we send our children off to die again, in the name of need and glory. His smile deepened, but that smile still, never, reached his eyes. To the dark with it. The world's just one dance where all the dancers die, time to play the tune again.

"What they said." he said simply, with the slight accent of a Karrnathian peasant. "Where are the business partners?"

Ringmereth

First Post
As the group slows to chat and bicker amongst themselves, the man in black at the end of the dock approaches them. His slim frame is garbed in finely tailored black silk with silver buttons and buckles sewn on liberally, and a cape trimmed with gold billows behind him as he stides down the length of the wharf. He carries a hefty purple bag, as well, and its weight effects his gait slightly.

"Greetings. I'm most pleased to meet you all in the flesh," the man says with a warm voice as a small smile appears on his untanned face, which displays faint wrinkles. "If you'll forgive the generality, Mr. Banderelli," he adds, nodding to the Warforged as he sets the bag he carries down at his feet. "I am Elinvath Sargessean, as I'm sure you've assumed. Time, I'm afriad, is not plentiful, and I regret that we must turn so quickly to buisness. I cannot accompany you to Port Verge, but I trust that you'll all use the voyage to acquaint yourselves with each other. I'm sure you have many questions for me, but I'm afraid you'll have to make do with what I tell you now: as I expressed in my letter, I have a task of great importance awaiting you, but I've encountered an unfortunate setback."

"A minor affair between local pirates has arisen, and caught up in the middle of it all is an old sea baron. An elf," he adds. "His name is Gaardasci, and his sons who rule the Blacksurf Principality and... rather foolishly indulge in indiscriminate piracy have caught the ill will of the Prince of Port Verge and the Direshark Principality." He chuckles and points over his shoulder to the emblem on the ship's bow. "That Prince, a man named Kolberkon, seems to have sent men to kidnap the old baron, and from what I've heard, he demands a high ransom from Gaardasci's marauding sons. I wouldn't involve you or myself in this squabble by choice, but Gaardasci has vital information, and we need him alive and well, and free, as soon as we can."

Elinvath sighs for a moment. "I'm asking you to retrieve this prisoner by any means necessary, but I must add that if the Prince finds that outside interests such as mine have a stake in Gaardasci's freedom, obtaining it may be all the more difficult. If you decide to negotiate for his release, do so in the guise of hired hands of Gaardasci's sons. Their names are Hesr'lan and Jedernis."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
As the companions introduce each other, the half-elf pleasantly smiles at each one in turn, although he only gives the antagonistic Morika a respectful nod. "I am Doral," he says with another grin. "Doral Sloans of Vathirond." A lie here and there never hurt anyone much.

After he listens to Elinvath he asks, "What are the crews orders? Are they to merely transport us or are they to listen to our commands? Will they stay in port for us to use their ship as a base? Will they provide free rations on the voyage and in port? Do we have a point of contact in the port? What other resources will you provide us? What is our reward for this task? Does Kolberkon have anything we can use against him for blackmail? I take it you would prefer that we didn't do anything too violent that might garner lasting enmity between you and this prince. What kind of bargaining tools will we have at our disposal?" After this tirade his business-like face falls back into a friendly smile. "Just curious, of course."

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
"You're going to let us use the ship right? Because otherwise it will be a long swim. I guess I could walk there, but I don't want all my scrolls to get wet."

MadMaxim

First Post
This Doral character certainly asks a whole lot of questions. One would take him for a Zil gnome if he wasn't so tall. What's he going to ask for next? What they're serving on board?

Partash steps up next to the half-elf and introduces himself: "Good day, Mr. Sargessean. Parlinor Tashlov, champion of the Sovereign Host at your service. Though Mr. Sloans has asked many 'interesting' questions, I was wondering whether we're to negotiate on behalf of people who don't know we're working for them? And does Mr. Gaardasci know that we're coming to free him?"

Bobitron

Explorer
Glasia politely declines the offer for help, although her expression is grateful. "He acts up if another carries him," she says, shifting the weight to her other hand. "Once we're off the dock, I'll let him loose. I'm afraid the pidgeons and gulls will be too much of a temptation right now." She returns the smile, pulling back her hood to reveal a young face framed with silvery hair.

Sargessean certainly looked to be a worthwhile employer. His cloak alone was worth what a worker on his ship might earn in a month. His words are less comforting. This sounds... illegal. The wizard keeps her thoughts to herself as he describes the task. The pirates raise the ire of the Prince. He captures the father, who this Sargessean has some sort of need for, and demands an amount in ransom that is too high for the sons to pay, either due to lack of funds or lack of desire. It has to pretty high or they wouldn't be willing to fund us. The barrage of questions from the half-elf and the following queries by the others cause her eyes to open wide. By the Flame. I would never think to ask that stuff.

Remove ads