Announcing Department-7.com!

(Also posted on WotC's board. I'm "double posting" to cover that don't read WotC's boards.)

Okay, this is it. No d20 Modern Living Campaign appears on the Indy GenCon list of events. Again. I'll be damned if that will happen next year.

Announcing Department-7.com!

I'm proposing this community work together and build a "grass roots" Living Campaign. I know y'all have been playing d20 Modern for many years and have lots of scenarios that can be dusted and adjusted to fit into a Living Campaign. As soon as the organization pulls together and the scenarios are ready, Department 7 can appear at 2007 GenCon, if not earlier.

I wanted to design Department 7 as a section of a city newspaper for suburb of Los Angeles. I picked an newspaper, or at least use a newspaper as a cover for it's activities. When I read through what the MSRD has for Department 7, it described the generic pseudo-government agency, so I went back to that. I plan to present the idea of using the newspaper as a cover to the campaign team once it gets formed.

Why cut out those who want to game in a Past or Future setting?
I have the web page set up as more than one campaign setting. I've created sections for d20 Past and d20 Future to go along with a d20 "Present". This may triple the workload, but it will give the gamer more options, more flavor, than the same old fantasy campaign.

My background, or Why I think I can pull this off?
Because I helped to launch Living Verge, a successful but doomed Living Campaign when Alternity was unplugged. There may be those on that team who think I didn't do much or deserve any credit. That's fine. I'm going to use that experience to pull people together to create a Living Modern setting. Hopefully, and the Gaming Gods willing, d20 Modern won't suffer the same fate as Alternity. If it does, then I was the one that doomed it.

Who is on the team?
If you are interested in what I haven't described herein, go to www.department-7.com and scan through the pages. Right now, the pages are pretty much duplicated between Past, Present, and Future. They will diverge some as the Campaign grows. I've also set up a forum (www.department-7.com/forum ) on the site for discussing the concept and development of this Campaign.

I'm sure you have questions.
Before anyone asks, Yes I posted a topic about having no scenarios to run. No, I'm not doing this so I can get ready-made scenarios from y'all. If this campaign grows, I'll likely end up with less time to develop my own scenarios. Satisfaction in doing something rather than waiting on WotC is enough.

Second most-likely-to-be-asked question answered is...
No, I haven't contacted WotC. On a wild hair, I went searching for Department 7 dot com. I did find a "dept-7.com", but it didn't have anything to deal with d20 Modern and RPG's. I figured if WotC hasn't secured department-7 dot com already, then they weren't going to. So, no, I'm not a cyber-squatter. I fully intend to make use of the URL, for a living campaign or at least for my own campaign if this idea fails.

I figure if I did contact them, I'd either hear "Sure, go ahead", "Don't bother, we have one" or "Don't you dare". In either case, a campaign gets created, or I get told by a major gaming corporation to cease and desist. If that happens, then I may not care if d20 Modern fails or not.

genshou

First Post
I would be happy to hear that a Living Modern campaign was online and doing well. I'll never have a part in it, though, because I favour my house rules too much.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases