How does a Dancing Sword Work?

Ferrum

First Post
SRD said:
Dancing: As a standard action, a dancing weapon can be loosed to attack on its own. It fights for 4 rounds using the base attack bonus of the one who loosed it and then drops. While dancing, it cannot make attacks of opportunity, and the person who activated it is not considered armed with the weapon. In all other respects, it is considered wielded or attended by the creature for all maneuvers and effects that target items. While dancing, it takes up the same space as the activating character and can attack adjacent foes (weapons with reach can attack opponents up to 10 feet away). The dancing weapon accompanies the person who activated it everywhere, whether she moves by physical or magical means. If the wielder who loosed it has an unoccupied hand, she can grasp it while it is attacking on its own as a free action; when so retrieved the weapon can’t dance (attack on its own) again for 4 rounds.

So, is the Base Attack Bonus the only thing that modifies the attack of the sword? What about Weapon Focus, Strength, Weapon Specialization? Does it have iterative attacks, or does it attack only once per round?

How has your experience with dancing weapons been? My character just got one, and before I let it loose, I want to know what to expect.

Sejs

First Post
Iterative attacks and base attack bonus are part of the same whole. Doesn't benefit from your stats or feats otherwise, though. Just BAB and enchantments on the weapon itself.

As for my experience regarding 'em - I'd put dancing weapons in roughly the same category as animal companions as far as combat utility goes. They're not bad. A little extra punch on top of whatever else you've got going. But they're not brilliant or world-ending. But certainly better to have it than not.

Ferrum

First Post
Has anyone else seen a dancing sword at work? Particularly at high levels (14-16)? I'm a little worried that the lack of modifiers to the attack bonus is going to make the sword really cool looking but not very effective, specifically against things with high AC or damage reduction.

Specifically, in my case, my character has a +32 to attack with his primary weapon, but the Dancing Sword +2 only has a +18 to attack. With feats and strength bonuses, I have +20 damage with my primary weapon (not including power attack), but the dancing sword only has +2.

Are there nifty uses for it other than extra damage? I was thinking it might be nice for someone not weilding a melee weapon, so that they can produce a flanking condition, but that doesn't seem viable by the RAW either. Can it deal Sneak Attack damage? Can it be used to sunder, trip, or make other combat maneuvers? Tell me there's something cool that it can do that I haven't thought of!

Last edited:

FrostedMini1337

First Post
Ferrum said:
Has anyone else seen a dancing sword at work? Particularly at high levels (14-16)? I'm a little worried that the lack of modifiers to the attack bonus is going to make the sword really cool looking but not very effective, specifically against things with high AC or damage reduction.

Specifically, in my case, my character has a +32 to attack with his primary weapon, but the Dancing Sword +2 only has a +18 to attack. With feats and strength bonuses, I have +20 damage with my primary weapon (not including power attack), but the dancing sword only has +2.

Are there nifty uses for it other than extra damage? I was thinking it might be nice for someone not weilding a melee weapon, so that they can produce a flanking condition, but that doesn't seem viable by the RAW either. Can it deal Sneak Attack damage? Can it be used to sunder, trip, or make other combat maneuvers? Tell me there's something cool that it can do that I haven't thought of!

Not really. The only use I've had for dancing weapons is dancing bane weapons on a ranger who has favored enemy of whatever he has baned.

Rodney Sweet

First Post
You can combine it with poison, and If you tie a rope on it and cast levitate, you can have it attack someone across a chasm and have it pull you along with it. As a straight up weapon for a fighter, it is weak, but in the hands of a creative spellcaster, it can be awesome. Also you can attack something with a big reach advantage without getting too close or provoking AOO, make attacks while you cast spells.

Remove ads