Bounty of the Endless Sands

BigB

First Post
Rhys attacks for what he believes will be the last time, one way or another. Go back whence you came Abhorration! he yells as he attacks.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Abhorration--that's a cool new word. I guess it means hated/abhorred aberration?)

*Rhys and Vrina each attack again, and this time their blows are significantly more powerful, slicing the seared dry flesh into three sections that cease their twitching and dissolve into the sand.*

"You said something about turning them? Shural knows now would be a great time!"

(OOC: A3 takes 8 Damage then 7 Damage, total 25, and perishes

Findoram and Irene)

B4cchus

Explorer
Findoram gets an AoO when the undead tried to attack him, since findoram has 10' reach and it will step out of that threatened squeare to hit Findoram.. unless it has reach as well.

-edit: sorry about the readied action.. i was a little overenthouisatsic. It's not very clear which undead just attacked. Did the three new ones take a charge?

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Yes, three new ones charged. Correct on the AoO, let's see...damn, bad luck on the roll. It missed)

*Findoram swipes at one of the undead as it passes to attack him, but the blow with the heavy blade is clumsy and misses its mark.*

(OOC: Turning? Attacking?)

B4cchus

Explorer
ooc: this encounter is really starting to worry me because its starting to look like a TPK..
If i'm not mistaken these undead are ashen husks, CR 3 monsters. six of those make for a CL 8 encounter. against (effectively, i'm not counting eskon) one lvl 4 pc (who can't see nothing and is effectively out of combat. but taking her into account nonetheless), 2 lvl 1 pc's and a NPC at, say lvl 4, makes a level 2.6 party (without irene a level 1.5 party). Yes, 1350 xp form a single encounter is nice at level 1 but one would have to survive it one way or the other first. It may be too early do start... complaining and it's not over untill the fat lady sings. But i'm worried nonetheless.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Analysis--
Mitigating factors--the groups were encountered in waves such that they needn't have been fought all six at once. There was advance warning for the party to set up an ambush and prepare. One of the PCs is immune to the only thing that makes these guys stronger than zombies. All PCs wield the weapon type that cuts through their DR. The monsters are only 2 HD and are a crummy CR 3 to begin with (compare to the ghast to see what I mean), plus possibly the easiest CR 3 undead to turn in the entire game and you have a cleric.

I ran this encounter in playtest and had the party winning 4/4 times. I've gone with encounters where the party won 3/4 or even 2/4 playtests--this one should be comparatively easy. (Take a look at Night's Embrace in the Playing the Game forum for a real meatgrinder encounter :] Though they wound up winning in Night's Embrace barely))

*Findoram unsuccessfully attempts to turn the undead.*

*Vrina fights defensively and backs up to pack in a tight formation with Findoram, hoping Rhys will follow so they can't be flanked, at least for now. Unfortunately, she pays a bit too much attention to her defense and botches her attack, despite the charge.*

*Rhys manages to connect, slicing into the undead's arm.*

*The undead attempt to finish off these impertinent mortals, slamming at the three of them but only able to connect against Rhys, bringing the stalwart goblin to the ground in a crumpled heap as they knock his head with an audible crack. Still, he seems to be alive, for now.*

(OOC: A4 takes 4 Damage

Rhys takes 7 Damage and drops to -6

Everybody's Turn again)

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Oh--I realised I may have come across as being defensive in my last post, but my intention was more to discuss design elements, since I always like to do that. As the GM, I don't feel a need to be defensive, so I generally won't. After all, I could throw a CR 19 in there if I wanted, not that I do :lol: )

BigB

First Post
ooc: For the next round Rhys will prepare an action to bleed. :lol: I am confident that Findoram and Irene will save the night.

Remove ads