Scrolls, Wands, Potions and Caster Level

Bobbystopholes

First Post
Let's see, say you want a potion of Invisibility. Normally the price is set at Caster Level 3, since it is the minimum caster level a spellcaster has to be to cast the spell, but can you set the caster level lower? Can you set the caster level at 1 for a shorter duration? Same thing with Wands and Scrolls.

A Scroll of Greater Magic Weapon, for example. Could a 6th level Wizard create a scroll of GMW at 1st caster level (Spell Level 4 x Caster Level 1 x 25gp = 100gp purchase price) The scroll would only last 1 hour and the bonus of GMW would only be +1 (since it would have to be a 6th level caster to get the +2).

Yeah, yeah, looking for loopholes, but ain't this what this board is all about ;)

hong

WotC's bitch
Bobbystopholes said:
Let's see, say you want a potion of Invisibility. Normally the price is set at Caster Level 3, since it is the minimum caster level a spellcaster has to be to cast the spell, but can you set the caster level lower? Can you set the caster level at 1 for a shorter duration? Same thing with Wands and Scrolls.

No.

A Scroll of Greater Magic Weapon, for example. Could a 6th level Wizard create a scroll of GMW at 1st caster level (Spell Level 4 x Caster Level 1 x 25gp = 100gp purchase price) The scroll would only last 1 hour and the bonus of GMW would only be +1 (since it would have to be a 6th level caster to get the +2).

No.

Yeah, yeah, looking for loopholes, but ain't this what this board is all about ;)

No. Stop being an ambulance chaser.

dcollins

Explorer
DMG p. 178, under "Caster Level", 2nd paragraph:

For potions, scrolls, and wands, the creator can set the caster level of the item at any number high enough to cast the stored spell and not higher than her own caster level.

kreynolds

First Post
Bobbystopholes said:
Page and book, please. Stop being a know it all ;)

You can't set the caster level below the minimum caster level required to cast the spell.

You wanna page number? Here ya' go. Read the DMG: Magic Items and the PH: Feats (item creation). ;) Also, you can look up, right above my post. If that's not enough, I don't know the exact page number off the top of my head, but I believe what you're looking for is in the DMG. Just look in the index for Magic Items, Creating.

Last edited:

Bobbystopholes

First Post
Thanks guys. I read the DMG, but missed it. I guess cause I was focusing on Wands. It totally makes sense though. I'd hate to see a 300gp scroll of Implosion!

mikebr99

Explorer
Bobbystopholes said:
Thanks guys. I read the DMG, but missed it. I guess cause I was focusing on Wands. It totally makes sense though. I'd hate to see a 300gp scroll of Implosion!

ATTENTION WALMART SHOPPERS... Please see isle two for our Blue light special!!! Implosion Scrolls... now only 300gp!!! limited time offer, limit 12 per customer.

Remove ads