The World Village

Brack

First Post
Back Ground:

In the year 2006, a group of people from many nations are in a setting with each other, each divided along ethnic and cultural lines (roughly). It looks like this:

http://courses.cs.vt.edu/~cs3604/lib/Discrimination/Diversity.Village.html

leading them is my character, a latecomer and ideas man.

Possible settings to plonk this into:

A fantasy realm
A Brisbane that has gone either quite decayed or very decayed morally/socially etc
A zombie invasion
A post apocalyptic Brisbane

Any ideas?

Khuxan

First Post
I'm very cynical about those figures (6 people have 59% of the wealth, but only 1 person has a university degree? 6 people have 59% of the wealth but only one owns a computer? None of the Europeans own a computer?), but I do think it's a fascinating idea for a campaign setting. I wouldn't dilute it by including magic or other obvious elements of the supernatural (magic in the hands of villains is fine, but should be used judiciously).

Brack

First Post
Khuxan said:
I'm very cynical about those figures (6 people have 59% of the wealth, but only 1 person has a university degree? 6 people have 59% of the wealth but only one owns a computer? None of the Europeans own a computer?), but I do think it's a fascinating idea for a campaign setting. I wouldn't dilute it by including magic or other obvious elements of the supernatural (magic in the hands of villains is fine, but should be used judiciously).

I is clevah

:p

SWBaxter

First Post
Khuxan said:
I'm very cynical about those figures (6 people have 59% of the wealth, but only 1 person has a university degree? 6 people have 59% of the wealth but only one owns a computer? None of the Europeans own a computer?)

The wealth concentration is correct. According to this article there's about 575 million personal computers in the world today, which means there's 8 or 9 computers in the village; given that many of them are owned by businesses, it's not too suprising that only one would be a home computer. The university degree numbers look right to me, even in western countries only 20% or so of the population has a degree and that drops like a stone in less developed countries where most of the world's population lives. Having none of the Europeans own a computer is just an artifact of rounding.

SWBaxter

First Post
Brack said:
Possible settings to plonk this into:

A fantasy realm
A Brisbane that has gone either quite decayed or very decayed morally/socially etc
A zombie invasion
A post apocalyptic Brisbane

Any ideas?

I think it'd probably be some kind of science fiction setting - maybe aliens abduct a representative sample of Earth's population and set them up in some convenient space station to study humanity.

painandgreed

First Post
Khuxan said:

The website is from 2001 and the information is probably from before that. I could imagine that more people would own computers these days.

Jack of Shadows

First Post
Hmm,

I'd be curious to know how many of them owned cell phones. There was an interesting article in the news today about about the rampant use of cellphones in Iraq. It's becoming their sole source of entertainment.

Jack

Remove ads