Malvoisin's Savage Tide, Act 1 - There Is No Honor

Tonks

First Post
"Perhaps she wishes to gather a crew for a ship? I have seen you by the docks Goodman Col, and I have heard Goodman Keoni is a skilled sailor as well. Do you sail Goodelf Kalen?"

Ignoring the older man's comment on his ability to swim for the moment, 'how many eyes were on the docks when I won that wager', Damash extended his hand first to the elvish stranger.

"I am Damash. Should we enter or wait for them to fetch us from the front of the gate?"

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Tonks said:
"Perhaps she wishes to gather a crew for a ship? I have seen you by the docks Goodman Col, and I have heard Goodman Keoni is a skilled sailor as well. Do you sail Goodelf Kalen?"
As the elf opens his mouth to speak, Col takes another opportunity to speak for him. "Kalen? Nah, he be a tale-spinnin', magic-flingin', elf swashbuckler extraordinaire, if you hear it from him. Some truth to it, so I heard, just don't play 'im cards. He's got a nasty habit about winnin'."

"Me on the other 'and, I donna sail the Blue Mistress anymore. Gave up me sea legs, did I. Too many dark things under and over da sea fer my likin'."

OOC: Haven't played a low Cha character in a while. It be fun being the cantankerous one. :)

Tonks

First Post
'He does not know that the land above is twice as dangerous as the one he claims to fear.'

"Then perhaps she is hoping to convince you to regain them? And there is always need for one who can shape spells aboard a ship. I have seen the cabins of the ship's mage as I moved their crates, and I assure you there are fates worse than the one they have."

Voadam

Legend
Tonks said:

"Kalenestarianthalus Floriandin magister of the Art at your service." the elf smiles warmly as he introduces himself. "Though for use in the mortal tongue of men Kalen will do just fine." Kalen says and gives Damash a wink. "Let us proceed inside and meet our good hostess gentlemen."

stonegod

Col nods at the elf's last comment, and spins towards the impressive door for the manse. Looking for a knocker, he suddenly starts, points, and exclaims, "The mark of the Fiery Eye! What demon haunted place be this!" Reaching again into his pocket, he almost takes something out, and starts saying, "I'll take care of...", when he stops, and squints at the knocker again. "No... looks to be a standard sunburst, not even Pelorian. But they do have da similarity. Best be careful in any case."

With that, he knocks loudly on the door.

Malvoisin

First Post
The sounds of Col's knock echoes across the well-manicured lawn of the Vanderboren estate. Even as the assembled foursome waits for a response at the door, two more people come hurrying up the walk. The first is a lean, handsome, blonde man, who introduces himself with a smile as Anar. The second is a short, stocky black-skinned Olman with a powerful build, and dreadlocks. He grunts his name, Chongo. (Players, feel free to interject a response to these newcomers, especially if you have had cause to meet them in your past).

After a few minutes, the door is answered by a familiar, wizened face. Kora the halfling greets each guest by name as she ushers all inside. She looks back briefly before closing the door, as though perhaps she was expecting someone else.

"Welcome, each of you, to Vanderboren Manor. Miss Lavinia will be so pleased you all could come, and so punctually too. Please do make yourselves comfortable. Now, if you'll follow me to the atrium, while the final preparations for dinner are made..."

Kora leads the way down the richly appointed hallway to an expansive atrium, which seems to be at the center of the estate. Hallways lead off in four directions, and an ornate fountain decorates the center of the room. The ceiling is open to the evening sky, and the setting sun casts a warm glow upon the guests' faces. Kora excuses herself while the group waits.

After a few minutes, four figures emerge from one of the halls, and head toward the party. These newcomers are a jaunty male half-elf dressed in leather armor and armed with a half-dozen daggers of different shapes; a dark-skinned dwarf with a sour expression dressed in green and brown robes and clutching a large curved spear; an attractive but haughty-looking woman dressed in dark purple robes and with a tatoo of a crescent moon on one cheek; and lastly, a tall and handsome man dressed in a polished breastplate carrying a bastard sword. (Knowledge: Local Checks?)

The man in the breastplate stops and sizes up the group before him. "Hmm. You must be the help Lavinia's bringing in to do the chores. Well, best of luck to ya!"

Voadam

Legend
Kalen treats the man's comments about chores as a friendly joke and replies with a wry smile. "So you're the old Vanderboren gardner who is to be replaced then I take it? You mortals age so quickly, but I'd have thought you've got a few good years left in you yet. Tired yourself out lifting those big pruning shears you carry while wearing that metal shirt? The blackberry topiary is not truly so fearsome here is it? In any case, I thank you for the good wishes, though for the moment I'm here for the fine conversation. Tell me what chores need doing around here though, I would be most interested in hearing."

ooc [SBLOCK] no knowledge local[/SBLOCK]

stonegod

When Col sees the other two arrive before the door opens, he smiles and claps the short jungle man on the shoulder. "You too, Chongo? This Lady has her talons everywhere, does she not? This be interesting, fer sure."

~~~

Being led in, Col keeps an eye on the furnishings and art, alert for any arrangements or pieces that suggest an occult connection. He remembers the soul traps he read about in Dark Furyondy that were formed out of decorative statues. Waiting in the atrium, he is about to mention the unusual configuration of the roof opening---it has similarities to the binding circle for the Hzame Beast---when the motley crew appears from behind the closed doors. He says nothing as the elf taunts them; instead, he peers at them closely, as is is want.

OOC: That's be me doing the Knowledge thing. In general, unless the Knowledge looks quite obscure (or we are in combat), Col will just take 10 on these checks. Speeds things up. :)

Tonks

First Post
Seeing Chongo arriving at this gathering, Damash felt more confident that their summoner was seeking to gather the backbone of a strong sailing crew. It was his and Chongo's challenge which had first sparked the talks of Damash's uncanny ability in the water and while Damash's heritage had given him the edge, Damash knew there were few others who could come close to the Olman's ability naturally.

Allowing the others to enter before him, Damash looked around the waiting room and was preparing to step aside when the gauntlet was thrown down and accepted by the elf and the armored stranger. He didn't know if this other group would also be sailing with them, but he did know the tides were easier on those who did not fight against them.

'Watch, learn, reflect...this is the way of the sea.'

hafrogman

Adventurer
Keoni bows his head in greeting to Anar, another from the dockside taverns of this town. He allows the others to preceed him into the manor and finally enters slowly, his eyes wide as he stares around at the oppulent surroundings.

He gives the handsome man a curious look at his comment. Chores? But the elf seemed to think it perfectly normal, so Keoni remains silent. He nods greetings to all those assembled but stands back to watch.

Remove ads