Gaming with the kids ...

Krel

First Post
solkan_uk said:
My daughter's still a bit too young for this (err, she's 3 months), but I've been slowly converting my 7 year old nephew.
I've been going for a tack of boardgames getting increasing more RPGy. So we started out on the D&D boardgame (since it only cost £5 from a discount shop) and now we're taking our initial steps into Warhammer Quest.

I intend to start him on D&D at some point, though since I only tend to see him once a fortnight it's slow going.

I find this a bit scary. Maybe its just the word "convert"...

I think it's nice to introduce your family members into D&D, as long as no one is pressing a relative to do so.

nyrfherdr said:
Beldar,
My advice is to talk to the boy, since he's had time to deal with it, he'll probably be fine. The key is to respond to his feelings, not your own. If it's important to him, make it important, if it isn't don't. Don't read too much into it. Kid's emotions run high sometimes.

If he knows that he can get another familiar, maybe even a better one, then he has something to look forward to and has learned an important lesson within the context of the game. It may be important to stress that it's a game and has ups and downs.

Otherwise, just roll with it. If you provide him some moments to shine, it will outweigh the setbacks of his character.

I hope that helps.
Game ON!

Solid advice. Well written and true.

Tomovasky

First Post
Not to be rude, but I have neaver got why it is so had to game with kids. I am 21 of age, so it may get harder as I get older. My group Has me, my buddy(21), My brother(18), his friend (17), my other brother(11) and his to friends (15,10).
Now as a rule the group has always been about me my brothers and a friend for each. I thought my youngest brother how to play when he was 6. my brothers have never been any good at reading though they pick up reading the sheats quickly.

The trick, Besides patience is to just play the game that you all love. there is a reason that you love this game and your kids will follow.
As a second though the "matcher" stuff, swearing and sex. Well if your a parent of a good uncle or older brother, you are parable use to sensering your self around them any way. So that should not be to hard.
Just like in greyhawk swich the brothels for feasthalls or even Elfin tea house(if a daughter is playing this is a good place for you to use thouse tea party skilll and teach her how to role-play, though with the cool elfin fell a son my not be to bord and get in to the role playing as well.)

well any way just some thought I hope it works, for as with every thing eals kids are the ...well you know the rest. Keep those dice roling and may you always role crits.

Wombat

First Post
Tomorrow I am running a game for my niece (9) and my nephew (10).

Simple dungeon, clean layout, 2nd level characters, simple monsters -- almost everything is direct, physical confrontation, with a few traps and hidden doors.

I have done this for them a couple times before. They love it...

...as long as my niece can find some pretty clothes in the treasure and my nephew can find at least one peice of "really cool" leather... ;)

Kylas

Explorer
beldar1215 said:
I run a game for 10-16 year olds at my FLGS and have had the same experiences as many others here. Most weeks I have 9 players. Boy is it hard to keep them focused on the game sometimes. One thing I'm having a hard time dealing with is if I should let PC's die. I'm kind of doing things on a case by case basis. I've had a couple of the older kid’s loss their PC's and they have been fine with it. I had one loss his Snake familiar last week and he sat at the table and cried. I'm going to pull him aside this week and talk with him about it. Any ideas of the best way to handle this situation?
Snake!?! Snake!?! SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Mission Failed

Ipissimus

First Post
[/nostalgia]

Brings back memories. Played my first Fighter when I was 6 and graduated to my first Paladin not long after that waaaay back in 1E AD&D. DMed for the first time not long after for my cousins (ages 6 or 7 to 12) and got them interested in the game... good times.

Admittedly, my first Fighter was little more than a bodyguard to my Mom's Cleric. Considering that the people we played with were 10-20 years older or slightly more, there wasn't too much I could contribute to that game. But still, I became an avid reader of the books, including the Monster Manuals and Deities and Demigods, which introduced me to mythology, philosophy and books all at the same time.

[/nostalgia]

From experience on both sides of the equasion, I have to disagree on the religious front. If your kids can handle a cartoon (Dragonball Z, Aladdin, Hercules, etc.) and real life, they can handle the fact that not everyone at every point in time is or was <insert your religion here>. They can also handle the fact that not everyone is nice.

Not saying that you should jump into mature elements feet first, of course (heck no), but gods, goddesses, angels, demons and devils are good fodder for 'morality plays' in DnD, even for kids. I know I loved them, and the kids I've introduced to the game handle it fine. Particularly squashing Demons (and they love that part).

Still, I don't think the educational value of RPGs and be overestimated. What other hobby exercises imagination, creativity, problem solving, english and basic math while introducing elements of philosophy, history and practical knowledge?

doghead

thotd
a pitch, of sorts.

general - gaming with kids

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I found it quite inspirational. I did wonder how 12-13 year olds would handle the complexities of the game. Then I remembered I was 12-13 years old when I started playing AD&D at school with a bunch of other 12-13 year olds. From there we went on to Traveller, Cyberpunk and Warhammer, all without any adult assistance.

I don't have kids. Indeed, I barely game much these days. What I do is all done pretty much here at ENWorld as PbP. So I have recently turned my energies to getting my adventure ideas from my head into written form. This thread gave me the idea of trying my hand at plotting some adventures for young adults largely still learning the game.

My initial thoughts on the matter were thus:

1) core rules only as that already include a lot of material to absorb. But use the rules largely as is. Some really good ideas out have been mentioned for making things more manageable for younger kids. Its been ages since I have been into a game store (virtual or real). Perhaps stuff like this is already out there. If not, it seems like it could be a good market for someone.

2) keep it simple - common monsters and situations. These are the things they will be expecting and familiar with. The use of familiar concepts will lower the barriers to entry and make engagement easier.

3) remember that old is new again. Remember the first time you popped a door with knock, or disarmed a trap. Another way to think of this is to incorporate lots of opportunities for the character to use their abilities to achieve things.

4) stick with a generic setting. Make it as easy as possible for DM's to plug and play into their existing settings.

Initial plan of action:

1) get some feedback on the above from those gaming with kids on the above.

2) rough out some simple plot outlines.

3) work up the outlines into adventures (largely) ready to run.

I am thinking along the lines of a collaborative product. I much prefer working with a group of people. You get a variety of ideas and perspectives. You have others to bounce ideas off. You get to pick peoples brains. The finished products would be available to everyone for free.

So, any thoughts on the above?

What plots have you used that have worked?

doghead
aka thotd

Flynn

First Post
I've started bringing my 10-year-old with me to the local D&D Meetups and RPG Meetups. We've played a few low level games together of D&D, as well as a few Savage Worlds scenarios. He really enjoys this time together, especially when we both play under another DM. He does suffer somewhat from being the only kid in a group of adults (mostly with being heard or when coming up with ideas for actions sometimes), but obviously it isn't stopping him from having a great time, because he keeps wanting to come back and play again.

I am considering trying to do a kids' game at a public place sometime, to see if we can get games for families or at least for kids his age going in the local area. I figure a public place like the FLGS would be good to help everyone feel at ease, and would help advertise the fact that there's a kids' game going on. I just have to find time to fit it into my schedule.

With Regards,
Flynn

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

I've been running D&D ('74 edition) for my five year old daughter. She loves it. We also started an offshoot campaign in B2 KEEP ON THE BORDERLANDS using the J. Eric Holmes' D&D ruleset.

It makes me very happy when she bounces in to the office and says "Daddy, can we play dee an dee?"

:)

Remove ads