D&D with an audience

Frostmarrow

First Post
Sometimes when we play D&D we get an audience. It can be a family member, a waiting friend, or simply someone who likes to make a social appearance. Most of the time, however the audience is not really there to watch - they just happen to be in the room.

I have been a spectator when others play RPGs and I have found it both entertaining and boring. It can get entertaining for short whiles but mostly it's a complete drag.

Do any of you have experience with audiences and what are your feelings towards it? Could inviting an audience raise the quality of the game? (i.e. be more focused and immerssive.) Are there steps that can be taken to encourage spectatorship in RPG events? Would anyone like to?

ken-ichi

First Post
I generally find it boring to watch someone play rpgs. I play rpgs and I only can stand watching bits here and there that I catch while doing other things, unless I am playing in the game of course.
We have had some sessions that I think would have been fun to watch, but generally those you-had-to-be-there moments are often too far apart for a bystander to find it entertaining.

As to being watched, I am somewhat shy and have a hard enough time speaking out when I am just talking to the group, but having someone just watching would probably make me even more uneasy.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I can stand to watch sometimes - depends on the group and what is happening - however, what will usually happen is I end up running an NPC. :)

As for someone watching one of my groups, it has happened a few times - and the results usually depend on the person. It has been disruptive and it has been focusing - and occasionally has made someone interested enough in wanting to play.

the Jester

Legend
Yeah, I'd say we actually usually have an audience- either a gf of one of the players (both of whom are sometimes players themselves) or a random drop-in friend or two. More often than not, these days... the cool thing is, I can't even remember the last time our audience was disruptive! :)

Sammael

Adventurer
I currently have two regular audience members: one player's GF, and another player's friend. They both enjoy watching (as far as I can tell) and would love to play, but I really can't fit them into the campaign right now (and they'd have trouble running ECL 19 characters at any rate).

My players don't have any problem with the audience, as long as the audience keeps quiet and doesn't interfere with the game.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I've had audiences at times. It used to be that we played in my kitchen and (when she was alive) Mom and a friend or two would be in the den mere feet away with only a bar/cabinet divider between us watching TV or talking.

At the time, the campaign centered around a group of good characters trying to avoid and bring to ruin their evil families.

One night she started laughing, and later told me that my aunt leaned over and whispered to her 'My goodness, but that boy on the right just hates his grandmother doesn't he? I never knew people could treat others that way'. :)

Actually, I'd like having an audience. We'd have to probably tone down our language at times, but other than that it would go well and could show others what a fun little hobby we have.

tzor

First Post
I met a few DMs in my life whose games are so fascinating that even if I wasn't playing I would just want to watch. But it's still the rare case. Besides I'd probably be taking notes.

bento

Explorer
Since I DM for a college gaming group, we have on average one person per session check us out. If they arrive prior to play I'll take a few minutes to explain a little about the game and ask that they remain quiet during play. During the break I'll usually talk to them and ask if they have questions.

We also make it mandetory that people interested in playing sit in on at least one session to get a feel of the game - what to expect, how the players interact and what kinds of action takes place. We've attracted a couple of players this way.

diaglo

Adventurer
last time i went to a game that had an audience it was very eerie.

it was a brand new campaign near my house. and one of the other players called to say she was bringing her boyfriend to watch.

by the end of the session the boyfriend attacked the DM with a set of fake vampire teeth.

btw, i never went back to that game :uhoh:

Zander

Explorer
Frostmarrow said:
Do any of you have experience with audiences and what are your feelings towards it? Could inviting an audience raise the quality of the game? (i.e. be more focused and immerssive.) Are there steps that can be taken to encourage spectatorship in RPG events? Would anyone like to?
The group to which I belong plays in the common room of a pub. Although we're in a corner we're also right next to the part of the bar where food is served, so there's quite a bit of traffic.

We've generated some interest from both punters and bar staff though so far we haven't recruited anyone this way. It doesn't seem to bother us or them that we're playing. In fact, the bar staff seem quite pleased we're there.

Remove ads