My reduced skills system

Asmor

First Post
So here's a system I've had kicking around in my head for a while. My goals were three-fold:
1: Simplify the skill system down to a much smaller number of skills
2: Cut down on bookkeeping and other headaches that come with high-level and/or multiclass characters with skills
3: Make intelligence work like constitution, where gaining intelligence gives you access to more skills and losing it makes you lose skills.

There are 9 adventuring skills and 3 character skills. Every character is allowed to pick two character skills for free, representing knowledge the character gained before becoming an adventurer. You can either pick two skills from the same catergory (i.e. two different crafts) or two different skills from two different categories (i.e. a craft and a profession).

Skills are either known or unknown, you do not purchase ranks in them. You have a certain number of skill points with which to buy skills. With class skills, you have a base score equal to your HD +3 (so a level 3 fighter/level 3 rogue would have a base score of 9 in all class skills he bought). Cross-class skills have a bonus equal to half that, rounded down (so the same 3 fighter/3 rogue would have a base score of 4 in all cross-class skills he bought). Character skills are always considered class skills.

Skills cost either 1 or 2 points, depending on how important they are. Generally, skills which are central to a class or just generally useful cost 2 points.

You get your skill points according to your primary class. Your primary class is the class which you have the most levels in. Only count base classes, not prestige classes. If tied for primary class, the one which was primary most recently is considered it (for example, if you took level 1 in rogue, then 3 levels in fighter, then 2 more levels of rogue, fighter would still be your primary class).

To choose your skills, write out an ordered list of them. The list doesn't need to include all skills, but it should be long enough that you probably won't reach the end of it. You access the skills starting from the top and going down. If your intelligence modifier goes down, or your primary class becomes one with fewer skill points than you had before, you lose access to a certain number of skills as appropriate. Similarly, if your intelligence modifier goes up (including temporarily, such as through a spell or magic item), or your primary class becomes one with more skill points than before, you gain access to new skills continuing on down the list. Once the list of skills is made, it may not be changed. Your free character skills are not part of this list and you always know them, although you may choose to add more character skills to the list and treat them as normal. If your primary class changes, then whether skills are considered class or cross-class also changes.

Example: Bob is a fighter with 12 intelligence. This gives him 3 skill points. He makes the following skill list:

Athletics - 1
Notice - 2
Stealth - 2
Survival - 2
Social - 1
Thievery - 2

Bob has access to Athletics and Notice. If Bob's primary class later became Druid, he'd have 5 skill points, giving him access to Athletics, Notice and Stealth. If Bob then took 2 points of intelligence damage, he'd lose access to stealth because it costs 2 points and he'd only have 1 point left after paying for athletics and notice.

List of skills:

Adventuring Skills:
Arcana (Int) - 2
Athletics (Str) - 1
Deception (Cha) - 1
General Knowledge (Int) - 1
Notice (Wis) - 2
Social (Cha) - 1
Stealth (Dex) - 2
Survival (Wis) - 2
Thievery (Dex) - 2

Character Skills (Pick two for free):
Craft (Any one) (Int) - 1
Perform (Any one) (Cha) - 1
Profession (Any one) (Wis) - 1

Arcana - Autohypnosis (Psionic subtype required), Concentration (Spell- and power-related checks only), Decipher Script, Knowledge (Arcana, History, Psionics, Religion, The Planes), Psicraft, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device
Athletics - Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Jump, Ride, Swim, Tumble
Deception - Bluff, Forgery, Disguise
General Knowledge - Knowledge (History, Local, Religion)
Notice - Listen, Search, Spot
Social - Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (Local, Nobility and Royalty), Sense Motive
Stealth - Hide, Move Silently
Survival - Concentration (Non-spell- and power-related checks only), Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (Dungeoneering, Geography, Nature), Survival, Use Rope
Thievery - Disable Device, Escape Artist, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand

Appraise and Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) are now Profession skills, i.e. Profession (Appraise) and Profession (Architecture and Engineering)

Speak Language is no longer a skill. Not sure what I want to do with it yet. May just stick with bonus languages.

I've still got to tweak (reduce) how many skill points each class gets, and what their class skills are.

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
Okay, here are the classes and their skill points and class skills. Note that this makes the example above wrong, because I did it using the RAW skill points.

Class skills

All skills which are not class skills are cross-class

Class - Skill points - Class Skills

Barbarian - 3 - Athletics, Notice, Survival
Bard - 5 - Arcana, Deception, General Knowledge, Social, Stealth, Thievery
Cleric - 2 - Arcana, Social
Druid - 3 - Arcana, Survival, Notice
Fighter - 1 - Athletics
Monk - 4 - Athletics, General Knowledge, Notice, Stealth, Survival
Paladin - 2 - Arcana, Social
Ranger - 5 - Arcana, Athletics, Notice, Stealth, Survival
Rogue - 7 - Athletics, Deception, General Knowledge, Notice, Social, Stealth, Thievery
Sorcerer - 2 - Arcana, Social
Wizard - 2 - Arcana, General Knowledge, Notice

Psion - 2 - Arcana, plus 1 based on discipline:
*Seer - Notice
*Shaper - Deception
*Kineticist - Thievery
*Egoist - Athletics
*Nomad - Survival
*Telepath - Social
Psychic Warrior - 2 - Arcana, Athletics
Soul Knife - 3 - Arcana, Athletics, Notice, Stealth
Wilder - 3 - Arcana, Athletics, Notice

Last edited:

Sadrik

First Post
Neat. A very simplified skill system. I like the way Int boosting actually grants you access to more skills. However, how do they gain the new knowledge? Spontaneously? Stuff that they had always been studying but never thought they could do it until now?

Escape Artist should be part of Athletics.
Appraise should be part of Craft.
Search should be part of Notice.
Delete Perception.
Make a knowledge skill which caries all of the mundane knowledge skills (local, history, architecture, religion)

I like to split knowledge religion in to knowledge occult and knowledge religion basically take out the undead identification stuff and add in more unnatural things like shape shifters and make it knowledge occult. You could put this into arcana and leave religion in knowledge.

Asmor

First Post
I did originally have Search in notice, but I moved it to perception because I couldn't think of a good place to put appraise, and I honestly don't think that search belongs with listen and spot. I guess it is kind of arguable, I mean, it's not like my system doesn't take a lot of liberties in order to cram things into so few skills. I do really like the idea of making appraise a craft skill. I'd actually come up with a similar idea on my own regarding knowledge (architecture and engineering), making that into a craft or profession skill instead. As it is, I just shoved it in the place it felt least wrong.

As far as the whole increased intelligence granting more skills, it's just sort of like you become smarter and unlock more latent knowledge. I guess you could think of your skill list as your innate "knacks," where you're more inclined towards things at the top of the list. As your mental capacity increases, the stuff hidden deeper becomes more prominent.

I understand your reasoning in making escape artist related to athletics, and I don't disagree (in fact I think that was the first place I was considering putting it), but while it fits I think it makes more sense and fits better in the thievery skill.

I like your idea of making a new knowledge skill. I think the biggest hurdle for that would be Knowledge (Religion), because I really need it to be in Arcana. Arcana is meant to be the "casting" skill, so divine casters should be able to take it and get all their stuff.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think it might just be okay to duplicate skills. Especially in the cases of some of the weirder skills that don't come up so often, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to let them appear in more than one skill. Escape artist, for example, could be in both Thievery and Athletics. You wouldn't get anything special for having both, of course.

Quartz

Hero
Can I suggest a further simplification? Once a skill has been a class skill, it becomes for ever a class skill? So you just tot up the character's levels and have done. This also gets around the Primary Class issue.

This looks good - I'd like to see what you suggest for skill points. I'd also suggest a bonus character skill (which may have been a class skill) every few levels.

Asmor

First Post
Quartz said:
Can I suggest a further simplification? Once a skill has been a class skill, it becomes for ever a class skill? So you just tot up the character's levels and have done. This also gets around the Primary Class issue.

This looks good - I'd like to see what you suggest for skill points. I'd also suggest a bonus character skill (which may have been a class skill) every few levels.

The problem with making class skills stay class skills forever is that all you need to do is multiclass a bit and then everything's a class skill. Actually, I really like the primary class idea, because it makes the class's skill list mean a lot more. I also think it works out well from a flavor aspect, because if you start off a rogue and then become a fighter, you lose a lot of your old skills as you forego your general training to focus on martial training.

I already posted (and just revised) the skill points for classes. See my second post, right below my first. :)

Machiavelli

First Post
asmor said:
The problem with making class skills stay class skills forever is that all you need to do is multiclass a bit and then everything's a class skill.
To be fair, that's assuming that multiclassing is very easy to do, which is a problem with the multiclassing system, not the skills. Besides, all of the skills you will need to fulfill the role of a given class should already be class skill for it; multitasking for skills is a bit of backward logic.

Quartz

Hero
asmor said:
The problem with making class skills stay class skills forever is that all you need to do is multiclass a bit and then everything's a class skill.
I don't see that as a problem: the character is gaining skills but losing out on other advancements.

Asmor said:
Actually, I really like the primary class idea, because it makes the class's skill list mean a lot more.
The problem is that you can go from being very skilled in something to not very skilled in something. It's particularly bad at high levels. Consider the skills of a Rog 9 / Ftr 8 who becomes a Rog 9 / Ftr 10.

Asmor

First Post
Machiavelli said:
To be fair, that's assuming that multiclassing is very easy to do, which is a problem with the multiclassing system, not the skills. Besides, all of the skills you will need to fulfill the role of a given class should already be class skill for it; multitasking for skills is a bit of backward logic.

Multiclassing is easy to do, though. There are absolutely no restrictions on it. If you wish to make it less easy, that's fine, but it's not the RAW. If I'm not specifically editing something, then I have to assume it's going to be used per the RAW.

I don't really understand your other point. One of the main reasons to become a rogue is all the skills. Would you suggest that you shouldn't be allowed to become a Wizard until you can already cast a spell, or that you shouldn't become a fighter until you can already wield a sword and shield proficiently?

Asmor

First Post
Quartz said:
I don't see that as a problem: the character is gaining skills but losing out on other advancements.

Generally speaking, it's accepted that in most cases a multiclassed character, with the exception of one who primarily casts spells, is very powerful. They get massive save bonuses, and all the the cool abilities a lot of classes gain in the first level or two. In fact, there's almost no downside to ludicrous multiclassing. Sure you lose out on some abilities, but you gain a lot more in recompense.

[/quote]The problem is that you can go from being very skilled in something to not very skilled in something. It's particularly bad at high levels. Consider the skills of a Rog 9 / Ftr 8 who becomes a Rog 9 / Ftr 10.[/QUOTE]

I don't see that as a problem. As I said, I like the way the system works as I wrote it. Don't forget that the character is a level 19 character, and if it didn't switch over they'd have skills as if they were a level 19 rogue when they've spent less then half of their time actually training as a rogue. If the character really cares about the extra skill points, then it's pretty easy just to not let the rogue fall behind the fighter. You can even keep them equal as long as you take turns levelling them and the rogue always goes first.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases