Renshai's Known Realms Campaign (Dungeon Crawl Classics)

Renshai

First Post
I am gearing up to start my Known Realms Campaign next weekend. While I don't have the campaign setting quite yet, I think the previews and what the authors have posted in addition to the DCC adventures themselves is enough to get started with.

I have a number of house rules that I'm using with this campaign, mainly because we've had a bad run of total party kills in the past. If anyone is interested I'll posts my house rules document for download.

In the mean time I will start posting the material I am getting from my players and how I am weaving their stories into the Known Realms and the DCC adventures.

I have chosen the first two adventures, but plan on just dropping hints and plot hooks for the other adventures and letting them decide what direction they will take. I will be running Bloody Jack's Gold at some point because of one character's background story.

Adventure I: Into the Wilds
Adventure II: The Mysterious Tower

So far my character roster looks like this:
  • Human (The Barrier Isles), Fighter/Rogue (1st level multiclass rules from the DMG)
    Human (Crieste) Fighter and agent of the Sable Knights.
    Human (Crieste) Wizard working for the Royal Academy of Magic and trying to join the Ordo Arcana.
    Cleric (unsure of race and background)

I don't have names yet, so I will refer to their classes for now.

Into the Wilds
The Fighter/Rogue is traveling to Wildsgate to investigate the rumor that a notorious thief may have hidden valuable treasure in some ruins near there. Ever on the hunt for treasure, this pirate...err. sailor is eager to see if the rumors are true.

The Agent of the Sable Knights is traveling to the area to help put an end to the curse that has plagued the family there for a hundred years. He is also to investigate Captain Argun and the Lady Aborn, for there are rumors that the two have become lovers and that both of them have eyes on the important baronial seat of Wildsgate. Captain Argun, being an ex-member of the Sable Knights seems a likely candidate for such an action. It is widely known that while the young Baron Kaldal supports the young King of Crieste, that his half-sister the Lady Aborn supports the nobles and the Imperial Army. The agent's primary mission is to lift the curse and to secretly aid the baron.

The wizard of the Royal Academy is investigating a book that is missing from the Royal Library of Magical Research. A copy of this book is believed to belong to the scrivener of Wildsgate, a very old elf named Navost. The tome contains references to an old wizard that was obsessed with force spells and is rumored to have encased his tower in a magical force field to keep out the rest of the world while he studied magic. This tome will point the party directly to the "Mysterious Tower".

I don't have any background information on the cleric yet.

For information on the Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics, visit www.goodmangames.com

For information about the Known Realms you can visit: http://www.goodmangames.com/5034preview.php

The following was posted at the Goodman Forums by the setting's authors:

An Introduction to the Northlands
A grim cloud hangs over the North. At the time of the scribes' feeble scratchings, scarcely one-third of the North can be properly termed civilized. The great empires of yore have all slipped beneath the march of time. Where great cities once thrived, tall forests now stand. The great works of wizards abound, but few can lay claim to their arcane might. Ruins of old whisper of long lost secrets, waiting only for those bold enough to uncover them. Fell monsters prowl the borderlands, while barbarian raiders grow ever bolder. And civilized nations of mankind, once the shining rulers of the North, are poised on the brink of ruin.

Majestic Crieste, whose empire once spanned the Northlands, has shrunk to a handful of baronies. Its emperor, a mere child, is counseled by corrupt barons and a vizier of unchecked wickedness. Once again monsters and monstrous humanoids roam the darkness, setting upon the helpless and weak. The Priest-Kings of old have returned, and wage a secret war for control of the empire.

To the east the Grand Duchy of Leherti stands in smoking ruin, its cities put to the torch and its people enslaved to monsters. The surviving free cities are hard put to hold their own, let alone retake that which was lost. The armies of the Scourge, far from defeated, bide their time and recoup their forces, waiting only for the time to finish what they have begun.

To the south and the north are smaller nations, once beholden to the Emperor of Crieste, that now strike out for their own. They carry humankind’s fiery torch, but are threatened on all sides, contesting as much with one another as with monsters.

Travel between nations grows ever less frequent and ever more dangerous. Meanwhile, barbarians of the North and Abylos of old, threaten at the borders, raiding deeper into the heart of civilization. Dark seers consult their fiendish masters and declare an end to the Age of Man.

And yet, not all is lost. In Crieste, the Knights of the Sable fight in the name of the Emperor and wage a secret war against their wicked Vizier. Dwarven warlords hailing from the Holdfast of the Steel Overlord take up axe beside elven knights of Blackbriar, Corsan and Anseur. Knights of the Lance ride to the ends of the North, fighting for justice and good. And everywhere, adventurers fight their way into forgotten ruins and ancient dungeons, returning with untold riches and arcane relics.

It is a time of heroes, when power, riches and honor can be won by any hero courageous enough to take risk the threatening darkness.

CRIESTE: This is the foundation empire of the North. At the time of the gazetteer, Crieste is emerging from a 300-year interregnum. Without an emperor, the nation sank into a dark age, causing many of the other kingdoms and free cities in the North to declare their freedom from the old Empire.

Pressed for an emperor, the barons of Crieste placed a child on the throne and appointed a wicked vizier to ensure that the boy remain but a figurehead that wouldn’t interfere with their plots. Fortunately, the child-emperor is served by Captain Sentri, a loyal servant of the throne who works to ensure that the emperor, the of the empire, stay true to the cause of Good.

Enter the PCs. Sentri needs agents and brave souls to counter the Vizier’s schemes. This is sourced from Dumas’ “The Three Muskateers,” in that PCs – serving as knights and agents of the Sable March – find themselves pitted against the Crieste’s Imperial Army. The adventures range from courtly intrigue to back alley duels, to being ambushed by the Vizier’s agents as the PCs emerge from dungeons laden with treasure.

Despite 300 years of decline, Crieste still exerts control over a great deal of territory. There are two capitols, Winter and Summer palaces, respectively. Kassantia, the Winter Palace (appearing in an upcoming DCC), is a Mecca for Áereth’s wizards. Home to the prestigious Royal Academy of Sorcery, and the mysterious Ordo Arcana, the city is can rightly be said to be the Gem of Crieste. Wondrous sights and sounds abound in the city’s shops, archmages can be seen arriving astride pegasi and enormous rocs, and the brightly armored knights of the Sable March patrol the well-cobbled streets.

The Summer Palace (Archbridge, as found in DCC #1)is home to the the Imperial Army and their chief rival, the Order of the Sable March. Archbridge is a city ruled by Crieste’s warrior class, men and women famed for their honor and martial pride. Status in the Imperial Army is determined by noble birth, while in the Sable March rank is accorded by honor and bravery. It follows them that the Army and the Knights of the March are bitter rivals, each striving to outdo the other on the field of battle. Too often these tensions boil over, resulting in a deadly back alley duels and running street battles. Officially, the generals of the Army and the Sable March refuse to condone the duels, but high-level commanders can be often seen returning to their barracks late at night, sporting bloody wounds and ferocious grins.

Many aspiring young warriors make pilgrimages to the city, hoping to join the ranks of the fabled March or the Imperial Army. Those that fail quickly find their way to the city’s taverns and gambling dens, where they nurse their wounded pride with liquor and brawling. It is said that Archbridge is a city of warrior-lords, but this only partially true; for every knight there are a dozen pretenders hoping to catch the Emperor’s eye.

The majestic city is built atop the ruins of a previous acropolis, and Archbridge’s vast undercity is notorious for its ancient passageways, forgotten tombs and secret corridors. The Imperial Army sends regular expeditions into the undercity, but – of course – few return.

An Introduction to the Southlands

Antediluvian magic and spirits as old as the world itself dwell in the continental region known as the Southlands. The name is a misnomer, since the Southlands are more west than south, but the names that stick are the ones explorers first write on their maps. To those who sail westward across the great Empyrean Ocean the Southlands may seem like the New World at first, but the glyphs carved into the ancient temples and great megaliths beg to differ.

The Southlands are a vast geography ranging from towering, ice-capped mountains to humid, burning jungles. The climate is decidedly tropical, but numerous anomalies of nature confound all but the local druids—and the priests of the Mighty Eye, the ancient creation god Madrah.

The mighty City-States of Xulmec (pronounced shul-mec) are by far the dominant power of the Southlands, a proud and mystic people who’ve learned the hard lessons of the nagas who once reigned supreme millennia before. Devotion to their gods and the primeval belief that they must protect the world from ultimate destruction keeps the Xulmecs from the manifest destiny of which the Northlanders seem possessed. They stave off the expansionist-minded foreigners, hold at bay the unspeakable horrors of the jungle, and remain ever vigilant against the evil schemes of Ssorlang, a would-be empire of human-snake hybrids intent on conquering the Known Lands.

The Xulmecs are as diverse as they are mysterious. While the fire priests of the city-state of Chuzec regularly cut out the hearts of their captives upon their burning altars, the adolescent king and queen of Teotcoatlan host elegant ceremonies at the summits of their majestic pyramids. Acolytes of the Rain Queen pray for life and healing...even as the bloodthirsty warlords of Coatlimict plan their next raid. A Northland visitor to the jungles of Xulmec is as likely to be welcomed with gifts of food or scalped and later sacrificed to the gods—it all depends on which Xulmecs he meets first.

But that’s just on the surface. The expansive Zimala, the old homeland of the nagas, and the monstrous Isle of Tarras are locales not conducive to long lives—to say nothing of the wyvern-infested marshes of exotic Dujamar. If there is a place of safety, it might be found in the Criestine Colonies, where the famous Emerald Cobra once reigned, or the safe harbor of Halcyon.

But a poisoned kris blade is hiding in the shadows somewhere...

Freeholds, the (the Outlaw Territories)

A loose collection of brigand enclaves ruled by brutal warlords, the Freehold badlands are in a constant state of lawlessness and unrest. The fall of Leherti swelled the ranks of the bandit lords, but thus far the Freeholds have limited themselves to raiding caravans and outlying settlements of nearby lands. Though strong enough in number to form a fearsome army, without a charismatic ruler the brigands are nothing more than bands of disorganized raiders and poorly armed militias.

What passes for a city or town in the Freeholds is often nothing more than filthy stronghold at the back of box canyon, atop a ridge, or some other place with natural defensibility. Most strongholds sport wooden walls atop earthen ramparts, while the rare fort might be found within the decaying stone walls of a previous fortress. Invariably each stronghold has one (or more) mead halls and taverns, a smithy and armorer, corral, and a well-defended tower or keep.

The quality of arms and armor carried by Freehold ruffians depends entirely upon the success of their raids. The lowliest of bands wear piecemeal bits of scavenged armor and fight with improvised polearms. The more successful bands field mounted raiders wearing ringmail or boiled leather, and fight with bows and well-forged spears. Bandit leaders are unique, armed as fortune and chance permits.

With little in the way of agriculture, the brigands rely on raids into civilized lands to swell their grainaries. In times of dire need the outlaws may turn to hunting and foraging, but more often a season of hardship only presages a deadlier season of raids.

While little can be written about the Freeholds that won’t have changed in a fortnight, following is a list of established towns and bandit holds:

Ashaven: (Hamlet, pop. 381) Shortened from its original name Ashe’s Haven, Ashaven is a staging ground for many of the raids into Leherti and the Theocracy. The hamlet has been razed by armies of Leherti on several occasions (known locally as “the shaving of Ashaven”) but the rogues have become masters of escaping into hidden cellars and secret bolt holes. The collapse of Leherti has granted Ashaven a reprieve, and the community is stronger than ever with new brigands arriving each day. Presently the fortified hamlet is ruled by Hadrun the Shadowhand, a swarthy skinned warrior-mage hailing from the Uru’Nuk Highlands.

The Barrier Isles

Rulers: Cozette LeRoux and Lord Raazt
Resources: Trade and contraband
Capital: Bloodport

The chain of islands known as the Barrier Isles are named for their occupants’ propensity to harass, plunder, or sink merchant vessels sailing between the Northlands and the Southlands. The Isles are an unrivaled haven for pirates and buccaneers, a cluster of ports so rife with humanoid vermin that lawmen from the Northlands dare not approach with standards raised.

Before the infamous Bloody Jack made a name for himself more than one hundred years ago, the Barrier Isles were merely a temporary anchorage for Northland seamen making the voyages south and west. A collection of docking ports were settled, each governed by an appointed official from its founding country. The greatest of these was Port Isolé, established by the Criestine crown. A puzzling array of ruins half buried within the forested isles became a distraction to explorers, leading to conflicts among them as each competed to delve the ruins first. Over the years, the number of buccaneers who hid their loot in the ruins began to outnumber the isles’ reputable inhabitants, a situation which deterred merchants and imperial captains.

Then came Bloody Jack Dascombe, the most reviled and feared pirate of his time, with his fleet of loyal raiders. In a single night of blood-soaked violence, he rid the isles of all those he deemed to be in service to Crieste or its allied nations. Just as swiftly, Jack sailed on again, deigning to hide his own treasures elsewhere. Indeed, it was rumored that Jack had a secret island of his own, a place not found on any map, where he stashed his marvelous treasures. Of course, rumors endure today that Bloody Jack left behind small caches of his treasure within the Barrier Isles and many ambitious pirates have given their lives searching for them.

I will be posting some material that my players wrote for their characters in the next couple of threads.

Last edited:

Renshai

First Post
Lucky Dan Draven, Fighter/Rogue

Discuss your family. Are they still alive? What are their names and what do they do?

“That is a good question. I don’t know. The last time I saw me mum. She was banging her bum on the end of the gang plank. She went on ta make an incredibly healthy splash I must say. Is she aliiive? I suppose et’s possible. I heard she always was good with her tongue and perhaps those wiggling grey fins were just there to bask in her great oratory.
My father? Now that is a difficult kwesh… quest…question. You see she narrowed it down to a few likely candy…candu.. candid.dates. Well. It was either Blowhole Billy, called that because of a wonderful oozing hole left in his head for months, after taking a spear in the top of ‘is noggin; or it could of been Captain ‘The Pike’ Pembrey. Nasty fella likes to decorate his deck with the dripping skulls of the recently departed. Or, it could of been Bartleby Cornwall. A rather non interesting fellow if you ask me. I don’t know how he ever even got the nerve to even ‘visit’ me mum. You see she never could narrow it down more than those three, basing of course on the time of my oneder.. wanderoos… wonderous arrival. Now if you will excuse me I have some unfinished bisy… bizee. BIZnus with that scantily clad scrumptious morsel over there...hic”

Where are you from and why did you leave?

“Where am I from? That is as silly a question as I have ever heard. The SEA, man! The life of a pirate, er sailor is entirely and directly correlated to the length of his occasion at sea. I suppose you mean earlier on though. Well I suppose in my youth you could say I was raised in Port Dagger. Yes. That’s in the Barrier Isles. Have you even ever ‘been’ to sea? Well. It’s a dandy town if I ever saw one. The town is built on a sharp ‘dagger-like’ peninsula… That’s a portion of land nearly surrounded by water and connected with a larger body by an isthmus. That’s… never mind lad.

There is a keep at the head of the peninsula and a decent wall surrounding the town. These fantastic docks drape down from the walls to the water below. Its looks something like a spider. Thus, the name Spiderkeep. Very tight ship, that town. Anyway. Yes I grew up there with me mum, Gods rest her heart. Soul? Dear boy, you never met me mum. As I was saying. Until the age of about five I ran the streets of Port Dagger. No not ran literally you simp. I meant I ran around upon the streets. Quit interrupting me or I will perforate you where you had not intention of having a piercing. Perforate! Put a bloody hole in you, you vomitous weasel. Now shut up and buy me another beer while the story is good and you are still alive.

What? Why did I leave? Well. Every man comes to a juncture.. sigh.. A POINT IN TIME, one made critical by a concurrence of circumstances. Man, have you ever ‘read’ a book? Well. Don’t bother. Everyone reaches a point where they have to make critical decisions. Yes. You might yet some day have to think beyond that proboscis you have there.
Anyway. You see me and a group of acquaintances… sigh… mates, found a map, a very old map. That map bore the mark of none other that Bloody Jack, himself. I see you have heard of someone other than the twenty people you know now. Yes, that’s very nice. Well. So some three years ago we set off to follow this wondrous depiction to where it may lead. After three months of searching we found an island, not on any mariner’s charts. Surrounded by jagged, teeth-like rocks. So jagged they would tear the ship asunder… Don’t slow me down boy. I am in a rhythm. Would tear the ship asunder if we even brushed up against them. We sailed around for days looking for a place to anchor but, on the third day we found that at low tide a shallow opening appeared in the rocks. We had to set anchor a good ways off shore and take the long boats into gaping maw of rock, the wind and waves daring at any moment to thrash us unto our deaths. We made it alright, though we may have been better off as fish food.

Inside the cave we found a cove in a spacious cavern and the remains of dockings and ladders. It seems we had either come to the right place or we had found something just as interesting as we had wanted to, to begin with. However, we soon found that we were indeed on the right track. The map mentioned a symbol of flesh and bone. The map showed a very crude representation of what we actually saw BUT, the key point is that it WAS the symbol. Some poor buggers had been flayed and spread out on a ships wheel, one inverted. Yes that means upside, down. About them, were tied iron shod staves and some very large animals teeth. Overall it was quite stunning if you can appreciate the time it took to put together. Well. For two days we tried to follow that map. We got lost more times that I would want to admit, were I not il-sober. And oh, yeees we lost a few men. The inhabitants of that island were, how would we put it, none too happy to have visitors. But being the humongous beasts that they were, we were not in a position to refute their claim to territory. I mean we didn’t even have a flag. (an Eddie Izzard joke)

Finally after loosing half our number to the cretinous lizards that sought us as breakfast, lunch and dinner, we reached what the map described as the resting place of the treasure of Bloody Jack. No you dolt. Not all of it. Just the part he had surmised to leave at this one location. And wisely I might add, considering the tenaciousness of the local carnivores. Eight of us entered that old temple. Eight brave souls I called mates. Only two of us came out alive. Another beer here boy. Yes, two of us. The wicked traps and creatures worse than what we had faced outside whittled down our numbers like shaving a bar of soap. Don’t tell me you don’t… No. No. I believe you. My olfactory senses confirm as much.

Well. We had stuck into the heart of the temple and after much death and near death experiences we found the horde. I must say it was more beautiful than I had imagined. Gold coin. Gems. A plethora of golden objects and pieces of art. And my dear mistress here. A beauty isn’t she. Elven make you know. No. Well take my word for it. As keen and sharp as a razor. I had to convince some of my unruly mates that she was mine and mine alone. A little knuckle knocking between mates is a trivial thing. No don’t touch it you daft, unless you want to be picking up those grubbies from the floor.

Yes I also got some gold. We each had brought a pack for just that purpose. The five of us left that what found the treasure filled our bags full, and let me tell you there was much more to come back for. And we intended to once we were back at the ship. Intended is the key word here. On the way back out, poor Otis just had to play with that damn door. I told him anything with bas like that… ‘carvings’…anything with bas like that should not be handled by anyone with out some sort of certificate or honorary stating such ability or merit for controlling or mastering such implicated creatures. Well. Otis looked at me with that same look you are giving me now and the brute opened the door anyway.

What happened? Dear man. I can’t even begin to describe. What ever it was, it tore Otis apart as if taking a sickle to a sack of wheat. And as far as big men go, Otis was huge. The Sea keep him safe. It did not take any more convincing before the other four of us ran and ran fast. I heard Tomas get taken by the beast. Like they say, you don’t have to be faster that that Tarrasque… chuckle…ahem… The Sea keep him safe. Broken Butt Berry had it worse I think. He forgot his footing and was caught up in one of the nasty snares that had gotten another of me mates on the way in. I could hear his screams and the growls of the beast still as Kort and I burst out of the temple. Much to our dismay, once we made it back to the hidden cove, in dash time I might add, we discovered that somewhere along the way, perhaps even while still in the temple our packs had been torn open. All that remained was a handful of gold, my sword and the dagger that Kort found. Frankly I came out on the top end of that deal.
We rowed back to the ship and the two of us managed to sail it back to civilization. Why didn’t we go back for more? Man. I wouldn’t go back to that island if Princess Kiera danced the Shurgat for me, naked even, on Harvesttide.

And hear I sit today. What? How did I get here from The Barrier Isles? Well. You see it takes a lot of coin to secure a ship and fund such an expedition. A certain money-lender whose name I will not mention would be looking for his share of the treasure or the return of his ship and a ludicrous return on his investment. We did what any two men in the same situation would do. We kept the ship, changed its name, found a port and took on a crew of privateers looking for an erstwhile enterprise. Yes. I was a ships captain for a time and a damn good one. Well at least until a larger ship of more experience privateers came upon us. I did what any good captain would do. I secured my belongings and took my dingy off the back. The men were better off with a ship of their own anyway. I am sure Kort was looking to take over anyway.

Well. After that, the mainland seemed to be as good as any a place to be. The river ships are not as large or powerful mind you as a seafaring vessel but a man must make a living.

Explain your background skills and how you used them and where you learned them.
“Haven’t you been listening man? I am a pir… er, a sailor.”

Where did you train to get your chosen class, skills, and feats?
“Well. As you might guess growing up on the streets of Port Dagger tends to make for what you might say, inventive entrepreneurs. And well the life at sea is full of peril. A man has to learn fast and be quick to stay alive. The sea is full of pirates and other dangers. My speech? Well the first captain I had, Three-armed Trent. It’s because of his, well his; well I only heard the stories anyway.

He was quite the educated brigand. A former knight in some mainland city I hear. It seems he had some falling out on the mainland and discovered the sea. He never could leave her after that. Anyway. He taught me how to read and write. He as well taught me quite a bit about fighting and sailing. More of a father than I had ever had. Sea keep him safe. I hear his ship was taken down by a bounty ship several years back. Dangerous life, the sea.”

Do you have any enemies?
“Me? I can’t think of a single soul that would want to harm a hair on my head. The model of civility and goodness I am.”

What are your goals?
“Goals? What does any man want? A beautiful woman in his bed, or in my case, several. If you get my drift. A chest full of gold. Which I have had if you don’t recall. A ship at his feet and the wind in his sails. My gods. Why would a man ask for more?”

Remove ads