Illusion Spells

nyc-roleplay

First Post
Quick question about Illusion spells... Can you voluntarily choose to believe an Illusion spell? In other other words can you forego your Will save deliberately?

What about in the case with Shadow Evocation/Conjuration spells?
Let's say you cast Shadow Evocation to mimic Leomund's Tiny Hut. Can the party choose to believe this illusion? If so, would it be real enough to prevent cover from the elements?

Quote from PH for Shadow Evocation:
"Nondamaging effects, such as gust of wind, have normal effects except for those who disbelieve them. Against disbelievers, they have no effect."

irdeggman

First Post
nyc-roleplay said:
Quick question about Illusion spells... Can you voluntarily choose to believe an Illusion spell? In other other words can you forego your Will save deliberately?

What about in the case with Shadow Evocation/Conjuration spells?
Let's say you cast Shadow Evocation to mimic Leomund's Tiny Hut. Can the party choose to believe this illusion? If so, would it be real enough to prevent cover from the elements?

Quote from PH for Shadow Evocation:
"Nondamaging effects, such as gust of wind, have normal effects except for those who disbelieve them. Against disbelievers, they have no effect."

From the SRD:

Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw: A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality.

Unless the spell says "harmless" then I don't see anything that states you can't voluntarily fail a saving throw against a spell.

Infiniti2000

First Post
nyc-roleplay said:
As irdeggman notes, yes.

nyc-roleplay said:
Exactly how do you convince the "elements" to fail their saving throws? ;)

The shadow evocation does nothing in that case except perhaps keep 20% of the rain off you.

nyc-roleplay

First Post
Thanks for the reply... that answers the first question about the ability to allow a favorable spell result. What about the actual reality of the spell? So in the example I gave regarding using Shadow Evocation to cast Leomund's Tiny Hut, just because the entire party chooses to believe that the illusion is real, is it actually real? If it is raining does the illusion of a hut keep them dry just b/c they want to believe it or do they think they are dry when they are actually getting wet?

Infiniti2000 answered this. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I've argued before that if you are the caster if a shadow evocation or shadow conjuration spell, then you better than anyone know for sure that the thing you just created or evoked is real in some sense.

I think it makes sense for you to be able to fail your save willingly. In fact, if I knew something was about to hit me that was for sure at least partially based in reality, it would be more difficult for me to misbelieve it than it would be to believe it is real.

Remove ads