Dragon #298 contents: Drow, drow, drow...

Aitch Eye

First Post
...drow, drow, and yet more drow. Probably the most overwhelmingly themed issue recently, with only one non-drow feature article, the Chainmail and Greyhawk stuff and 2/3 of the comic strips devoted to drow, and no "Up on a Soapbox," "Elminster's Guide," or "Class Acts." (Not that they needed more prestige classes this issue.)

Seems fairly good...just soul-flensingly oppresive. The Kabuki warriors were a little ray of sunshine, though.

Contents:

When Paizo Says, "I Play," You Win! by Johnny L. Wilson. The president of Paizo Publishing, LLC (and Group Publisher of the magazines at WotC) offers explanations and reassurances on the change in publisher, and plans for the future. ("I Play" in Greek is "Paizo.")

Flesh For Lolth: The Secret Life of Dark Elves, by Robin D. Laws. Detailed look at drow culture, focussing particularly on child-rearing, social status, aesthetics, and their relationship with Lolth.

The Bestiary: The Punishments of Lolth, by Eric Cagle. A series of nine tests drow are put to as they rise in level. Includes three spider-like monsters that those who fail tests are transformed into (Aracholoth, Spiderleg Horror, Brood Mother), and the fully-statted demigod Proxies of Lolth (which are choldriths, you don't need MoF or Deities & Demigods with the info they give).

Sinister Tools: New Equipment from the Underdark by Eric Cagle. All of drow manufacture. 3 alchemical items(shriekpaste, flashstone, blackwater), 3 poisons, 2 drugs, 5 general magic items (3 species of spider-mask, dessicator, Z'henra's Tools of torture), 3 magic weapons(Bolt of Discord, Lash of Torment, Rod of Tentacles), and a non-magic weapon (shatter bolt) and armor (silk).

Crusades of the Ashen Compact vs. Drow, by Jim Bishop. A "secret cabal of subterranean races that recruit and train surface adventurers to make war against the drow." Details the agents they send to the surface, their operations and the academies they set up. Three 10-lvl prestige classes: the Deep Avenger (martial), the Gloomblade (sneaky), and the Gray Sage (blind spellcaster that supports a squad of troops). Also, two magic weapon special abilities (subterranean, sunlight), and three alchemical items (deepsmoke stick, flashball, rockburn oil).

Shades of Death: Necromancer Class Combinations, by Wade Nudson. Looks at the approaches taken by evil, neutral, and good necromancers. Five new feats (Animation Mastery, Desecrated Animation, Improved Animation, Undead Legion and Greater Undead Legion). The two combos are the Pale Commander (Ftr/Wiz with two Tome and Blood PRCs), and the Savage Shaman (Brb/Clr with two Defenders of the Faith PRCs).

Living Greyhawk Journal

The Vault of the Drow: Dark Elf Metropolis, by Frederick Weining (based on out-of-print material by Gary Gygax and Monte Cook). After a short description (and a map) of the huge cave, this focuses on the city of Erelhei-Cinlu; with a map, coverage the eight ghettos and a paragraph each on the noble families that rule them, four NPCs of various races, and three gods (Kiaransali and the new Keptolo and Zinzerena -- these don't have stat blocks).

Chainmail "Exiles from the Vault," by Chris Pramas. The activities of the drow noble house Kilsek, exiled after civil war in the Vault of the Drow. Two 10-lvl prestige classes: the Bloodsister (martial), and the nightshade (infiltrates the surface world, gains powers from spider venom).

At the Table/Pullout Insert "The Cave of Pain Battlemat/Chainmail Collectors Poster" and "Monster Tokens," The battlemat depicts a cavern with a spider design set into the center of the floor, illustrating a scenario from the Chainmail set 4 guidebook, Shadow of the Drow. The Chainmail poster includes a group photo and checklist for each faction, for use with sets 1-4. The page of tokens features monsters mentioned in the drow-themed articles.

DM's Toolbox "Preparing to Improvise," by John Four.

The Play's the Thing "Trouble at the Table," by Robin D. Laws. Common problems between DM and players.

Silicon Sorcery "Battle Realms," by Clifford Horowitz. Two 10-lvl PRCs adapted from the real-time strategy game: the Kabuki Warrior (combines theatrics with martial skills), and the Dragon Warrior (combines aspects of monk and berserker in channeling "the spirit of the Dragon").

Sage Advice, by Skip Williams. Focusses on Masters of the Wild and magic.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Great. I do not, and never will use drow. So there is very little in this issue to interest me. I hope the new publishers do away with the themed issue concept.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Buttercup said:
Great. I do not, and never will use drow. So there is very little in this issue to interest me. I hope the new publishers do away with the themed issue concept.

i can see why they are pushing this issue out as it goes along with the queen of the spiderwebs or whatever that module was called. This correlates with it and will cause more modules to be sold.

I don't have a problem with the themed issues, it's rather nice sometimes, but as long as they still put in crunchy bits and not a ton of fluff.

Henrix

Explorer
I think themed issues are fine, as long as it's done in moderation.
Some of the latest, as well as this issue by the sounds of it, are far too heavily themed. It is nicer when there's room for something else than the theme.

On another note, I hope that the drow equipment is not of the silly self-destructing kind. I can't help but feel that that is too ridiculuous and metagamey.
It just feels like somebody who wants to give the nasty drow all kinds of nasty über-stuff, but does not want the players to have it. Mean, silly and unfair.

Aitch Eye

First Post
To be fair, the Ashen Compact can be repurposed, the items don't really need to be drow, some of the monsters could be tweaked to be non-drow related and you might be able to use the maps. But overall, this might be the hardest theme to mine bits out of.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
In the Forgotten Realms, there IS a Surface Realm where Lolth is worshipped openly.
She is worshipped alongside Loviatar.
The Church of Loviatar is the state religion.

The name of this country is Dambrath.

East of Halruaa.
West of Luiren.
South of the Shaar.
And a serious threat to the entire continent.

Pain? Combine Lolth and Loviatar, half-elves with half-drow, and a militant and highly organized society, and then you have pain ...

Remove ads