The Acrimonious Adventurer Association

Jon Potter said:
S-W-E-E-E-T!

I don't have my BoVD in front of me, but I wonder: does that require an Evil alignment?

Menthos could certainly have been Evil from the beginning, but an alignement shift would explain Haimish's uncomfortableness around the tiefling.

He wasn't evil when he received this "boon", this is another tempting for Asmodeus (who is the real power behind Kador if you have the BotR), the last session we had, Menthos used this ability twice in the same battle. Losing 7 CHA in the process, I think he's used it 5 times total and it tends to work too well.

Last edited:

spacehulkster

First Post
"I think he's used it 5 times total and it tends to work too well"

But it's usually only on a last resort or dire need basis.
Which, I must admit, is getting quite too frequent of late.

I can't wait to see you face HM, when I unleash my ultimate last resort!

spacehulkster said:
"I think he's used it 5 times total and it tends to work too well"

But it's usually only on a last resort or dire need basis.
Which, I must admit, is getting quite too frequent of late.

I can't wait to see you face HM, when I unleash my ultimate last resort!

Come to the dark side, I have cookies! :D

Now you realize the only reason you had to use it twice last battle was due to overzealousness of some PCs (not Menthos of course, if you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter)

Jon Potter

First Post
Hairy Minotaur said:
He wasn't evil when he received this "boon", this is another tempting for Asmodeus (who is the real power behind Kador if you have the BotR),

Gotcha. Your phrasing of that statement makes me wonder if he's currently non-evil in your game. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

the last session we had, Menthos used this ability twice in the same battle. Losing 7 CHA in the process, I think he's used it 5 times total and it tends to work too well.

So he's "overclocking" magic, eh? Either that or using the Dread power - which really doesn't seem all that useful unless you're fighting a lot of lower powered enemies. Now that I think about it they were talking about goblins, so maybe...

Taking a Charisma hit is pretty tough for a warlock, so I hope it would work well. Unless you use it and your own party's int he AoE... :D

Say no to drugs

As most of the party readied their backpacks and supplies for an extended hike up to the Majestics, Kessen waited on the steps of the Temple of Kador hoping to spot a returning Xanthos and as the day waned and nightfall crept across the city, Kessen got his wish.

Xanthos staggers inside the temple asking for a drink of water and a meal of fresh vegetables. Kessens assists him inside and seats him at the table as he calls for the rest of the party to join them.

“At first the Overlord threw me in jail, but I guess he was paranoid enough to look into the matter as he released me two days later telling me that Lord Burghondy would not longer be a threat to Highcastle. He gave me a writ of passage and planted a Blue Oak in his courtyard as requested by me as thanks for my loyalty to the crown.” Xanthos puffed out his chest

“Why a tree? Why not something useful, like a beer garden?” Menthos inquires

“Blue Oaks require lots of tending, he’ll likely have to bring in druids to make it grow, and if he does it’ll eventually grow to near two hundred feet in height and a width of one-hundred fifty feet. Ha!” Xanthos laughs

“Doopa, not find that funny. Bottom of big trees makes good toilet.” The ogre offered

“No wonder no foliage grows on the eastern side of the Cloudwalls, I thought the land was cursed, apparently it’s buried under feet of fertilizer.” Turgar states

“It keeps out your tribe.” Doopa retorted

The party explains their next move to Xanthos who agrees a more wide open space would do his health good, he lobbies for a more scenic route that takes them west to Bulwark first before heading north to Kindoras Keep. This way the party can avoid the Howling Hills and the werewolves, worgs, and dire wolves that predicate that area.

Once they are in agreement, they head out that morning with Kessen and Xanthos leading they reach the Silver Valley before nightfall and stay the night with Xanthos’ clan. Xanthos enlists Haimish to tell stories of civilization to the eager centaurs as Doopa and Turgar gets suspicious eyes and wary looks.

Morning comes and the group heads off for Bulwark, as they near Bulwark small tobacco farms spring up around the landscape along with vegetable farms. The smell of cooking tubers and pies fill the air. Xanthos explains that Bulwark is nearly all halfling now; they sell their tobacco to Highcastle as apparently it has the richest flavor.

Once in the village, Menthos heads off to find a local tobacco shop while the rest of the party are invited as guest of the mayor for a feast at his residence that night.

The small bell on the door jingles as Menthos stoops over to enter the small building. The smell of drying tobacco and other herbs fill his nostrils as Menthos begins browsing the hanging wares of the store.

“Welcome ‘O traveler, ‘Ave ye ‘eard of me store and ye’ve come to see wat all the talk was about?” A middle aged halfling puffs out between hits on his wood pipe

“I know you sell tobacco, I’m looking for something more in the way of knocking me unconscious with a good night’s sleep.” Menthos answered

“I ‘Ave just the ting!” The portly man ambles up a ladder behind the counter and retrieves a burlap sack of rustling leaves and twigs, “tis ‘ere is me specialty, I grow it only wen da nigtesade is its most deadly. It gives da stuff a good kick in the lungs it does.” The halfling advises

“Super, I’ll take the whole bag.” Menthos states

“Wa? Da wole ting? I-I-I don’t know wat to c’arge ye. I don’t tink I can sell da wole ting.” The halfling answers

Menthos dumps out a thousand pieces of gold onto the halfling’s counter.

“Sold!” The Halfling shouts

“Okay, now give me twenty pounds of the stuff you sell to Highcastle, along with enough papers to smoke it all.” Menthos replies

“O’ me stars and roots, I’ll ‘ave to close early tis year, and tats a good ting!” The Halfling beams as he readies Menthos’ purchase

“I’m heading up to Kindoras Keep tomorrow, I’d like to start selling your tobacco up there as the keep grows in size I’m thinking the multitudes of guards are going to need something to spend their wages on, catch my drift shorty.” Menthos relates

“You want me to supply you wit me tobacco to sell up tere? Wat split we talking about ‘ere devil?” The halfling shot back

“Fifty fifty, I do the leg work and you grow the stuff, I’ll sell the product and you move it up to me, deal hammy?” Menthos offered

“Tis could work, you prove to me your selling tecnique and I’ll consider it.” The halfling stated

“Sure thing, watch me sell it to that uppity woodsman over there.” Menthos said as he pointed out Kessen to the halfling through a side window

The two men shook on it and Menthos left to intercept Kessen as he headed for the mayor’s residence.

*whistles* “Hey Kessen, wait up I got something you’ve got to try.” Menthos shouted

“I don’t what nothing from you, we’ve been invited to the mayor’s house for dinner, you would’ve been too had you not run off to sodomize small woodland creatures.” Kessen laughs off Menthos

“I’m serious here, I’m trying to set up a trading venture with a shopkeeper here, but I need someone to test the product for me. My teifling senses are dulled to the taste of smoke and I need someone to tell me if this stuff is as good as he claims it is or if he’s trying to sell me leftover manure.” Menthos pleads

Kessen mulls it over for a bit, could the teifling be going legit, has getting him away from the Kadors helped his outlook on life? Kessen decided to accept Menthos’ bluff and try the tobacco.

Menthos excitedly set the burlap bag down and rolled Kessen a cigar, pulling out a tinder box, Menthos lit the rolled herbs on fire and marveled at the blue tinged smoke that last rose in the air in front of Kessen.

Kessen thanked the warlock and inhaled deeply on the cigar, coughing out the good air in his lungs and almost dropping the cigar in the process.

“Good?” Menthos asked

“Not bad, let me mull this over for you, I’ll let you know at dinner.” Kessen answered

Menthos agreed and began to count the gold in his head as he strode into the mayor’s house and sat down at Kessen’s place for dinner.

“Where’d you come from and where’s Kessen?” Xanthos demanded

“Relax goat boy, Kessen wasn’t feeling well and told me where dinner was and to go in his place. He said he’ll see us in the morning. I think he got a hold of some bad tea leaves.” Menthos advises

“Bad tea leaves? Did he buy them here?” A shocked mayor spoke up

“No sir, had them from Highcastle, I think they got a little wet in the sewer and got moldy. Nothing to worry about, let’s eat!” Menthos assured the mayor

Dinner was filling and the mayor invited the party to stay the night to which they agreed and all slept soundly. That morning as the rooster announced the sunrise, an incensed mayor bounded up his stairs shouting at the party to get up.

“What’s wrong?” Xanthos inquired

“That man, on my lawn. Remove him at once or I shall have him arrested!” The mayor shouted

Xanthos hurried to his window and peered down at a naked Kessen passed out, spread eagle, and laying face up at the sky.

“Get him up and dressed before he’s seen!” The mayor shouted

The party raced downstairs to gape in horror as a crowd had already gathered to watch Kessen water the mayor’s lawn from a prone position

The mayor screamed and howled as Xanthos and Turgar hefted the unconscious Kessen up and onto the back of Xanthos who rode out of town. Haimish bent down to collect Kessen’s clothing when a foul stench assailed his nose, “Doopa? Can you come here?” Haimish asked

The bard handed Kessen’s soiled clothing over to the ogre who placed them in a pouch around his waist. Menthos waited until everyone was preoccupied with the mayor’s lawn and then scurried off to see the shopkeeper and seal the deal.

Forming their own small angry mob, the party exits Bulwark as a profusely apologetic Kessen tries to excuse his behavior. Having forgotten how he ended up in front of the mayor’s house in the first place let alone naked.

“I guess you really were sick last night. I think you should avoid Halflings from now on, maybe you have an allergy, here have a cigar from me.” Menthos offered

“Thanks, don’t mind if I do.” Kessen answered as Menthos lit it and passed it over to the scout.

Who made who?

The trip north to Kindoras Keep was uneventful, save for Kessen urinating all over himself and falling off his horse dazed and confused. This added an extra day onto the travel time; Xanthos was pleased at that outcome but was less favorable to Menthos claiming his cigar had nothing to do with Kessen’s actions. To prove himself right, Menthos gave a cigar to Doopa who smoked down gleefully within minutes, his hardier constitution able to easily withstand the pungent herbs incased therein. Haimish offered to try one as well, but Menthos balked at that idea, claiming to need something to sell the poor keep guards once they reached their destination.

On the fifth day just after the sun had reached zenith, the keep’s form emerge from behind a hill, Xanthos quickly noted with his eagle-like eyes, that the northern wall that faced the Majestics was still sporting an open wound.

“No wonder they need help, that hole’s so wide a purple worm could slither in and not scratch it’s side.” Xanthos remarked

Kessen noted that the keep really did stand at the base of the Majestics, the mountains were visible three days ago and Kessen kept thinking they must be off course as he saw no signs of civilization such as smoke or a scouting party as this keep claimed to have.

“Looks like a giant’s outhouse with no roof.” Kessen opined

Menthos however strode confidently over the broken ground and brambles that marred the hilly terrain, the rest of the party followed and soon they were dancing around fresh vegetables and damp irrigation ditches, although no sign of anyone that was tending the fields.

One hundred yards out, they heard someone on the battlements yell out their approach.

“Well, at least someone’s home, I thought they had abandoned the property.” Turgar offered

The sturdy wooden doors of the keep’s entrance slowly creaked open, Xanthos noted the doors were a recent addition as the wood had yet to be weathered and he could still smell the pine scent from the wood.

The party’s progress was halted by a gruff looking northerner, chiseled from years on the frontier; he weathered reddened cheeks showed above a full beard that hadn’t seen a straight hair in twenty years. The man’s eyes were ice blue and his scarred fingers gripped the pommel of his greatsword with a determination that comes from facing death several times and realizing that it’ll come for you when it’s ready, not when you think it should. His field plate armor had seen better years, Doopa though the contraction laughable an infestation of fleas was likely to cause the whole thing to collapse on the man.

“I am Gorn, captain of the guard and purveyor of the peace for this keep, state your business and be done with it, or kindly get your carcasses out of my keep.” Garn demanded

Before Menthos could speak up, a slender hand snaked it’s way over Gorn’s left shoulder and draw his arm back so the figure behind him could step around and in front of Gorn.

“Calm down Gorn, you can’t go scaring every living thing that wanders in here hoping to validate your own position.” Spoke a dark haired woman of barely twenty years, her face was angular than a normal humans and Xanthos guessed she had some elven blood in her from somewhere. Her eyes were dark and heavy, making her stare weigh on a person’s soul as her gaze passed over them. Her simple blouse and trouser attire concealed the elven thin blade at her side perfectly, and for all the mud that was prevalent within the keep, her boots looked like she had put them on and teleported to this very spot.

“I am Aleena, Priest initiate of the second fire of Kador.” She paused briefly as she took in the sight of the party, “and you must be the travelers Statinisor spoke of. We are happy to have you assist us.” She smiled and bowed

“Yes, where should I start? I did not notice anyone in the fields, am I to presume it is you that I am here for?” Menthos asked

“Were you not sent by Statinisor? Your descriptions match perfectly.” Aleena inquired

“No we were, well actually I was, the rest of these louts are my personal retinue. Shall we commence with the duty or does your kind need to freshen up further?” Menthos stated puffing out his chest and speaking with a breathy tone to his voice.

“What do you mean?” Aleena asked

“The breeding program, Statinisor sent me to help in the defense of this keep, I figure we’re going to need more than just the six of us to do it, so we should get started soon.” Menthos answered

“But, I” Aleena started

“Shh.” Menthos said putting his right index finger over Aleena’s lips, “don’t talk I understand your nervousness, it’s not everyday that a man of my proficiency arrives with a plan to help you build up your defenses.”

“Oh really?” Aleena asks, Menthos nods and the priestess knees the teifling in the crotch.

“Now then, Gorn will give you any information you require about the building’s specifics and current roster of guards. Be advised though we only have what we were sent with.” Aleena advises, having to raise her voice over the incessant moaning of the downed Menthos

“Captain, please see to these men’s needs.” Aleena states pointing out the rest of the party, “leave this one to come crawling for forgiveness in my quarters.” Aleena turns and strides through the muck as if she was barely touching the ground.

“Follow me then.” Gorn orders and leads the rest of the party away from the entrance gate and into the center of the keep. Kessen makes sure to “accidentally” kick mud into Menthos’ open mouth stopping the high pitched whining for a brief moment.

Gorn explains that for the past three months the keep’s been harassed by various goblin and kobold groups, initially Gorn thought them to be a local annoyance as all they would do was get close enough to hit the keep with their slingshots and once we returned fire they would scamper off. The keep’s been able to kill about a two dozen or so and the goblin haven’t killed anyone much less hurt anybody with their pebbles. He began sending out a patrol as the attacks were getting so frequent that the keep was spending most of their day shielding themselves against the rock shower than they were rebuilding the keep or tending to the fields.

Then a sinister thought entered Gorn’s head one day, he noted a method to the goblin’s attacks. One group would draw the patrol further and further away from the keep while another sat and watched the keep from afar. This convinced Gorn that something else was behind these attacks as goblins aren’t’ too bright in the strategy field. Gorn started reeling in the patrols to not go after the fleeing group but to go after the waiting group. This incensed the goblins and they’ve begun using coordinated attacks on the keep, even attacking under a cloudy sky during the day. These renewed attacks are what keeps the farmers from tending the fields and keeps our livestock grazing far to the northwest.

Gorn takes them to the wounded wall and points out the keep’s efforts to have it repaired, “we have a supply caravan coming over from Omen in about four days, laden with quarry stone and some additional masons to help us out.”

Menthos begins his muddy crawl to the far left corner of the keep, where permanent housing has been erected, slowly at first and then up to hands on his knees as he trudges along to finally upright and proud of himself for not vomiting along the way as he opens the door to the partially completed tower.

Menthos waits as his eyes adjust to the dimmer light and he notes the light footprints of a set of small boots heading off to the left, following those his arrives at a closed thick wooden door. Menthos debates whether he should kick the door down and barge in to demand an apology, or whether a knock and polite response would be more appropriate. In the end he decides both are acceptable and lightly raps on the door. He hears the footsteps of someone as they approach and unbolt the door on the inside. Menthos watches as the door begins to open and once the smallest sliver of the room beyond can be seen beyond the door jam, Menthos kicks the door attempting to have the door fling into the face of the person opening it.

However he was never a good dungeoneering study and failed to notice the door was reinforced with iron and only managed to stub his toe and sprain his ankle by kicking the door, and to top of the humiliation the door failed to budge from his kick.

Aleena finished opening the door the rest of the way, dressed now in a gown of faux fire, the bottom was a pale blue color, followed on top of that by an orange color which covered most of her torso, the top part of the gown was yellow around the shoulders and neckline.

“If I am to believe that Statinisor sent you to me to have me baby-sit a perpetually foul up such as you, then I have no recourse but to train you to become effective fodder for the campaign.

Menthos brushed off the insult and instead rolled back onto his elbows and propped himself up to look up at Aleena.

“I know you find me irresistible, there’s a reason I carry a ten foot pole, it’s for clearance.” Menthos speaks

Incensed at the teifling’s disrespectful tone, Aleena draws her elven thin blade and points it at the neck of Menthos, “the next time you tongue fails to address me properly, I shall have it cut out and animated onto your shoulder where it will insult you with your own words for all eternity.”

“You know, I like hearing myself talk as much as the next person, but I don’t think I you could get used to taste.” Menthos answered

Aleena brought her blade down and Menthos rolled away, then leaped up and activated his spider climb ability to prop himself up onto Aleena’s door. Aleena spun around following the warlock’s move, locating Menthos stuck to the front of her door, Aleena looked up and stared into Menthos’ outstretched fist where a small ring was located. With the twitch of a finger muscle, Menthos activated the magical ring and a shower of glittering lights fell in front of Aleena’s eyes.

The rogue blood in Menthos seized the opening and fired an eldritch blast into the flat-footed priestess’ face. Aleena screaming in pain and she tried to clear her vision of the glittering motes in front of her. Menthos used this moment to spider climb up the door and onto the ceiling of the hallway just above the flailing Aleena, timing his move, Menthos waited until the motes were beginning to clear and Aleena let her guard down to wipe her eyes. Then he let go of the ceiling and fell upon her.

The stunned priestess dropped her blade and had the wind knocked out of her as her body slammed into the floor of the hallway. Menthos quickly wrapped her arms up behind her with his left hand. With his right hand he pushed away the dark hair of Aleena that had fallen over her right ear, Menthos put his mouth in close to her ear and whispered, “I think we both know who Statinisor wants to train who, and the next time you think about getting feisty, make sure you drop by my room, preferably nude.”

Menthos retreated and let the pride injured Aleena collect herself before returning her blade to her, she snapped it out of his hand and placed it back in it’s scabbard, spun on her hells and quickly re-entered her room and slammed the door behind her.

“Your welcome!” Menthos shouted as he went to clean himself up and find some suckers to sell tobacco to.

Last edited:

Scout =/= tracker

The party meets with the returning group of scouts, learning about numbers and overall strength of the goblins they’ve encountered.

“Their aim’s getting better though, I got hit in the breastplate yesterday and someone else got hit in the leg last week. Still haven’t killed anyone though.” Reports a guard

“That’s troubling, they turn into crack shots just as we arrive, how convenient.” Turgar laments

“Quit being paranoid, they’re stupid little snots. One cough from you later and they’ll be running for their lives, so calm down. Here have a cigar.” Menthos advises

“I am concerned that these goblins only crime seems to be that they are annoying, I don’t think they’ve done anything to warrant their extermination.” Xanthos replies

“What? Kador sent us a pacifist? Look buddy, I don’t know what tree you un-hugged yourself from, but around here goblins are disease carrying filthy thieves that would love nothing more than to rid themselves of us. So, unless your plan is to stand idly by why they slaughter your friends when you inactivity gives them the chance, then I suggest you strike first, strike hard, and strike down the pukes.” A guard admonishes the shifter

“Maybe you’re the ones who aren’t supposed to be here, I don’t recall you spontaneously generating in this spot. The goblins have more right to this land than you do.” Xanthos defends his beliefs

“We work the ground, grow our crops, and protect the caravans as they head out into the plains. The goblins hide out in caves, strike from the dark and obliterate all forms of lesser life they come in contact with. I’d liken them to a vampire than a meek little mouse you would have them be.” The guard presses on

“Just because you can’t reason with it, doesn’t mean you need to kill it. Humans breed like fleas and suck the life out of the forests just the same; perhaps becoming the hunted would put the shoe on the other foot for you.” Xanthos responds

“Don’t try any of your woodsy mumbo jumbo on us; we’re not some illiterate hicks you can use inflection and innuendo on to get away with not meaning anything. I’ll be real plain and simple for you, if I see one of those goblins; I’ll kill it even if I have to go through your stubborn ass to do it.” The guard finishes

“That sounded threatening; perhaps I should lead a frost worm to your north wall and watch as it slides right in to the heart of the matter?” Xanthos replies

“Fight!” Menthos yells

“Alright you two, quit trying to see who’s got the bigger package and get back to the job at hand.” Kessen advises

The six guards back down after realizing this quarry would fight back a lot harder than six goblins. Xanthos however still fumed at the guard’s words.

“If that is your line of defense, then this keep will surely perish. I weep for the loss of life that will come.” Xanthos says to Menthos and heads off to cool down

“What did I say?” Menthos asks incredulously

“How about fight?” Turgar answers

“Well, without my encouragement Kessen would’ve never spoken up, they looked like two blind bullywugs in a tongue slapping contest.” Menthos replies

“They have those?” Haimish inquires

“Of course not, he’s blowing smoke up your rear again, that’s what he does, that’s all he does.” Kessen answers

“My good man, would it not be prudent to affix your gaze upon the horizon of your future rather than to assail yourself with the unfortunate task of trying to dissuade me from pursuing my respective career path which you have so eloquently pointed out lacks a basic fundamental that you seems to posses in abundance?” Menthos answers

“Crap.” Haimish spits

“What was that? You sound like him only it made sort of sense, at least it wasn’t a metaphor.” Kessen reply trailed off and got quieter at the end after he realized his reply was bolstering Menthos’ argument

“Doopa say we go find some goblins, squish them, then come back and eat lots.” The ogre offered

The party agreed and went to collect Xanthos for their journey.

“Come with us, maybe you can try some diplomacy on them?” Turgar stated

“I don’t think that would result in any breakthroughs.” Xanthos replied

“Well, when they attack you your ethics will enable you to fight back and kill them for us.” Menthos advised which provide to be the obviousness that Xanthos was overlooking.

The party headed out towards the east first and into a rockier terrain as opposed to a rolling hill terrain that dominated south of the Majestics where Kindoras was situated. The party scouted all afternoon until:

“Hey Kessen, we’ve found nothing out here, why don’t you put you vocation to good use and scare us up a set of goblin tracks?” Menthos asked

“I don’t know what goblin tracks look like.” Kessen dismissed the warlock

“What? You’ve never seen a goblin track? Didn’t you come from the Plain of Cairns?” Menthos inquired

“Yes, but that hardly means I’ve seen a goblin track enough times to know what it was and how to track it.” Kessen replied irritated at the request

“Here, I’ll show you.” Xanthos said and transforms into a goblin and walks around the area for awhile, “can you follow some tracks now?”

“Sure.” The scout replies and takes a hard look at the ground and heads off in a northwesterly direction

After three more hours of what Menthos gets annoyed, “What are you doing?

“Following goblin tracks.” Kessen answers

“To me it looks like you’re aimlessly wondering with a purpose to waste our time.” Menthos answers

“Oh yeah? Let’s see you try and track then. I’m the scout here!” Kessen replies

“You’re right, you’re the scout, but even I can tell they didn’t go any further north.” Menthos answers

“Prove it!” Kessen demands

“How do you know that Menthos?” Xanthos asks

“There’s snow on the ground, and thirty feet ahead of you is a mile wide fissure with ice covering it.” Menthos answered

Both Doopa and Turgar looked ahead and concurred with the warlock’s assessment

Embarrassed, Kessen admits to not knowing how to track.

“How can you possibly scout if you don’t know what’s ahead of you?” Haimish asks

“I never needed it, I was always one to lie in wait and ambush people, not go find them to ambush.” Kessen replies

“Great, can anybody track?” Xanthos asks

“What? You’re the nature lover can’t you track?” Kessen asks

“No, when you have the nose of a wolf or a fox, looking for tracks becomes less important.” Xanthos answers

“What about the ogres then?” Kessen inquires

“I’m a dragon shaman, I track dragons.” Turgar replies

“How do you do that? They fly? Do they leave a vapor trail?” Kessen pushes the blame and embarrassment from himself

“How hard can that be? Look for the scorched earth and burned villages, an ooze could track a dragon.” Menthos answers

“It’s not as simple as that, there’s knowing which way they turn after a strafing to knowing which direction they strafe in.” Turgar answers

“Doopa, track food to mouth with eyes.” The ogre announces

“Gee that sound complicated, how many years did it take you to learn that trick?” Kessen asks

“Doopa practices at every meal.” The ogre says proudly

Menthos studies the sky while the rest of the party devolves into a shouting match, finding what he sought he heads southwest.

“Where are you going?” Haimish inquires

“To Kindoras Keep.” Menthos answers

“Bull, you don’t know where we are.” Kessen disputes the warlock

“Well, you see I saw that column of smoke rising in the west, and knowing the breeze is currently heading in a northerly direction up the southern slopes, I’m aiming for just south of where the smoke rises. It’s like I’m tracking the smoke, stick around maybe you’ll learn something.” Menthos admonishes the scout

The party rejoices as Menthos leads them back to the keep, although Doopa was saddened that no goblins were found, he was picked up by the smells of cooking pig.

“I figured you for dead; glad to see you lived long enough to eat dinner.” Gorn says gruffly before gnawing into a burnt ham.

The party ate up and decided to try a different tack in the morning.

Morning came and the party headed northeast from the keep this time. Keeping the Majestics to their right at all times, they decide to travel six hours following the tactic then turn around and head home the reverse direction. Fours hours into their trek the weather turned colder, and the wind changed from a eastern breeze warm off the plains to a northern gale down the Majestic’s slopes.

“This is an odd weather pattern for late summer.” Xanthos remarked

“Going to be early winter.” Doopa said sniffing the air

Another hour had Xanthos uncovering a viciously dismembered and partially eaten bullette.

“Whoa, that’s a big one.” Turgar announces

“Something huge tore into this.” Xanthos says as he sniffs the area and surveys the ground around the kill, “more like some things huge.” Xanthos announces pointing at the huge claw-like foot prints heading east towards the mountains.

“What do you think they are?” Haimish inquires

“I don’t know their feet are a cross between a troll and a hill giant, only much larger obviously.” Xanthos relates

“Finally something Doopa can smash!” The ogre shouts

“I guess we should check it out, the keep might need to know what’s out here.” Menthos argues

“Prudent I suppose, lets follow the tracks and see if we can’t sneak up on them.” Xanthos advises to the agreement of the group

Xanthos tracks the creatures into a sheer slope and spies the three huge purple giants turning around and heading back towards the party, he announces that he’ll go out about a hundred feet and transform into a large moose to lure the creatures out and once they try to engage him, he’ll fly back to the party and have them follow him into the party’s trap.

The plan is agreed upon, and Xanthos heads out as a moose, trying to moan as if injured. The commotion alerts the three beast and they approach steadily towards Xanthos, they pause about eighty feet from the moose and Xanthos is able to get a good look at them. He first hunch seems to be correct, the creatures are warty with greasy straight black hair and pointed noses like a troll, but they are built like a massive hill giant. Xanthos gets up to the eyes and notices a frightening conclusion as the giants reach into pouches at their sides and start chucking boulders at the “wounded” moose.

His plan unraveling, Xanthos decides to head back towards the party in the hopes that he’ll draw the giants out and cause them to switch tactics. Sensing something wrong, Kessen stands up from crouching beside a rock and starts firing at the creatures.

“Come get some!” Kessen shouts

Xanthos not yet able to speak common in animal form yet can only bay at Kessen in a vain attempt to get him to stop firing and hide again.

Too late though as the giants cease firing and clasp hands, the middle giant creates a shimmering door in front of himself and walks through it pulling it’s two companions with it. In an instant the giants have dimensioned doored into the midst of the party. Xanthos transforms into a lion and charges at the nearest creature, the giant raises his hand at the charging beast and Xanthos feels his life force drain away until he is left as what he was months ago, a naïve elf with limited shifting abilities.

“Uh oh, maybe this was not a good plan after all Xanthos?” Menthos shouts

Track this!

Turgar’s muscles, surprised by the materialized purple giant in front of him, were unable to put up an effective defense as the giant’s claws tore through the ogre like paper. The sickening sound of flesh ripping and then the bone cracking sound of a spine snapping, echoed through the lightly failing snow and against the mountains to the east. A red plume of blood erupted around the giant’s head and the smell of a fresh kill permeated the nostrils of the combatants.

Doopa shrugged off his surprise at the giant’s movement as the smell of warm blood filled his lungs, Doopa allowed the primitive rage all his kin held to take over and he flew into a corded mass of a howling tree swinging power ogre. Doopa set his sights on the giant that ripped Turgar apart and blinded charged the beast so fiercely that it appeared his was flying into the beast. The giant whirled on Doopa and connected with a backhand across the barbarian’s face which only served to make the ogre’s rage louder as Doopa wailed his tree trunk of a club across the arms and shoulders of the giant.

Haimish took up a new dwarven drinking song, penned by Billy Jowl, as he armed himself with his long sword and advanced towards the giant that teleported the rest of it’s friends:

And we said we’d all go down together
Our spirits break? Never
I am the end of your fair weather
Your head from your neck I will sever
‘Cause we said we’d all go down together

Inspired, Haimish slashed his blade across the calf of the giant, thick dark green blood oozed out of the wound.

Menthos launched an eldritch blast into the giant Doopa was making respect his authority. While Kessen maneuvered around Menthos and fired a shot into the back of the skull of the giant Doopa was engaged with. The Giant’s knees buckled and then it collapsed on all fours, Doopa then teed off on its head and was please with the high pitched snap its neck made just before it crumpled to the ground.

Doopa raised his arms in victory just as the remaining two giants brought the entire battlefield under total darkness.

Xanthos watched helplessly as Turgar was ripped in half and the area went dark, at least the party had reduced the enemy numbers before that. Four against two was much better odds, even if one of those was a warlock of dubious ethics.

Haimish heard the giant’s heavy breathing and expect the attack, but was ill-prepared for the result. The giant’s claws seemed to rake through his armor as if it were made of tin. The filthy nails digging deep into Haimish’s chest, scooping buckets of blood as they dredged along. Haimish coughed up blood almost instantly as he fell backwards onto the frosted ground.

The dual sound of the blood cough and the thud traveled quickly to Xanthos who hurried through the darkness and reached Haimish’s side. He transformed into an elf and quickly administered healing to the downed bard, halting the bleeding and easing the laborious breathing.

Unable to see in the darkness, Kessen fired two shots near where he thought a giant should be and instead heard them sail on out to range after they failed to hit anything. The teifling, born with darkness in his veins already, saw perfectly through the giant’s rouse. Menthos aimed at the giant that had leveled Haimish, but then thought better of it, fearing an attack would draw undue attention to himself. Instead he backed away and hoped to give the impression that Kessen was the more dangerous foe.

Doopa, his ogre eyes used to the darkness of unlit caves, closed the distance to the uninjured giant and slammed his club into the left thigh of the creature while dodging it’s clawed swipe at Doopa’s head. Xanthos switched his tactics and decided to try and play distracter to the giant near him, to keep him away from a critical Haimish, the shifter darted out to the giant’s left and heckled the creature in giant and then troll.

Conscious but hurting, Haimish broke into a new song of encouraging aid:

H-E-A-L
Buddy can you spare me an H-E-A-L
It’s time you gave me an H-E-A-L
I’ll take anything. Spell, potion or scroll
Just help me get back on a roll

That’s why I’m calling for an H-E-A-L
It’s time to give me an H-E-A-L
I’m bleeding like a sieve
Man, I just want to live
Don’t need your sword, club, or shiv

“I feel oddly inspired to end your life!” Menthos shouts back at the bard

The giant’s roar and one of them chases Xanthos while the other grabs Doopa’s head with it’s clawed hand and drains the life energy right out of the barbarian. The sudden loss of his barbaric rage coupled with the damage already done to him, causes Doopa to keel over bleeding at wounds that were scratches before but were now inches deep.

Xanthos’ heart sank even with Haimish’s proud faltering voice; the party had lost both ogres and the only other person who could tell the sharp end of a sword from the pommel. Xanthos danced around the giant and raced to Doopa’s side, however his new un-experienced self was out of the only healing magic he had, so the shifter put some herbs to Doopa’s most grievous wounds and halted the bleeding, but the ogre would not regain consciousness until well after the battle would be decided.

“Kessen and Menthos, the battle needs to end quickly we’re down four, only you guys are well enough to fight!” Xanthos shouts

“Hey jack-ass, would it appease you if I just laid down and took my death like a man to get it over with quicker for you? What the heck do you think we’re doing out here? Pitching a tent?” Menthos shouts back and then blasts a giant with his eldritch power

“Don’t get pissed with him, why don’t you try melee instead of pea-shooting them from afar.” Kessen yells as Menthos

“Don’t make me come over there an tell you what I think of you to your face in a language that will make your colon reject you on principle and your spleen to forcibly expel itself from your body.” Menthos advises

“You sassing me? I can hit you all day from here moron!” Kessen shouts as he aims at the warlock only to wrench his bow back at the sound of a fast approaching giant, the scout launches his arrows into the darkness and connects with both shafts as the massive claw of the giant swishes past Kessen’s head, bring a deep sigh of relief to the scout.

Menthos backs out of the darkness and waits for the attack he knows is coming, as soon as the giant’s head peers out from the veil of darkness, Menthos activates is ring and a bedazzling light show erupts around the giant’s head. The large creature stands there slack jawed and inattentive as the opportunistic Menthos blasts the flat-footed giant up the nostril and into the frontal lobe of it’s brain. Death came quickly to it as Menthos hopped away from the falling body.

The darkness faltered with the death of the giant Menthos hit, and as the last remaining giant surveyed it’s surroundings it spied Haimish struggling to his feet and Xanthos on his feet brandishing a sword. Fearful for it’s life the giant dimension doored away to lick it’s wounds.

The threat abated, Haimish dropped to his knees and wheezed painfully. Xanthos and Kessen collected the separate parts of Turgar and were debating the merits of a burial here versus a burial closer to civilization, when Kessen realized Menthos was not around.

“Where’d that lousy warlock go?” Kessen inquired

“I don’t know.” Wheezed Haimish, “I stopped paying attention when I went back down to my knees.”

“Maybe he left us for dead, or more likely he’s out tracking for us.” Xanthos commented

“What was that for? Anybody could track in snow, it’s not like that’s hard.” Kessen replies

At that Menthos emerged from behind a good sized boulder and rejoined the party.

“Where did you go?” Kessen demands

“Calm down I was in another nation.” Menthos explains

“What’s that supposed to mean? Did you follow the giant and kill it?” Kessen asks incredulously

“Did the giant somehow manage to teleport you along with it? How’d you get back?” Xanthos inquires

Menthos just stood there with a stupefied look upon his face

“Well? What nation did you visit out here in the mountains?” Kessen asks

“You idiots, I was urinating. I was visiting the urination! Can’t a guy get some privacy?” Menthos responds

“That’s it punk; you’ve raised my ire for the last time!” Kessen screams setting an arrow.

“Well, it’s nice to know I have that effect on you, but you’re not my type as you’ve failing to raise anything on me. I don’t think I could even work with the meager effect you’ve had on me.” Menthos responds

Kessen points the arrow at Menthos’ head, “say goodbye half-breed.”

“Goodbye half-breed, I’ll be sitting in Kindoras Keep while you losers are out here following the tracker’s ass in circles.” Menthos said as he helped Haimish to his feet.

Kessen’s trigger finger hesitated as the warlock’s words were likely true, but that didn’t mean that the rest of the party needed to know that, “baloney, I can get us there just as quickly as you can, if not quicker.”

“Fine, I’ll take Doopa, Haimish, and both parts of Turgar back with me. You can lead the shifter back to the keep, and when it starts to get really cold out he can slice you open and use your insides as a blanket.” Menthos said

“Not only will we make it back before you, we’ll make it back days before you do.” Kessen challenges

“I think we should take the rest of the party while you go off alone, I don not want predators tracking the scent of blood from Turgar and finishing off Doopa and Haimish before they’re healed.” Xanthos countered

“Okay, but I have all the connections at the keep, restorations, resurrections, full heals, I could have everyone healed and scouting before you guys ever got the keep in sight.” Menthos proposed

Xanthos pondered this a moment, “Fine I will go with you to and assure that both you and the injured reach Kindoras safely and intact.”

“What you’re siding with him? I can’t believe this! Fine I prove both of you wrong. See you chumps there next week!” Kessen yelled as he sprinted off to the south

Xanthos gave Menthos a wary look as he hefted Doopa over his shoulder

“What did I do? He’s the one who’s going to get lost.” Menthos states

“It better be.” Was all Xanthos replied

The day and a half trek back to Kindoras Keep was uneventful and not once did they see Kessen ahead of them at any point.

“Looks like you will lose the bet.” Xanthos says

“We didn’t bet, and I don’t lose. If he’s ahead of us he did a nice job of clearing out a path for us.” Menthos replied

Once they reached Kindoras Keep and made inquiries however, it was determined that Kessen had not made it back to Kindoras Keep yet.

“Looks like you lost your bet.” Menthos explained

“Maybe, but if you can’t get them healed then you’ll lose more than a bet.” Xanthos threatens

“Back off monkey, that chip on your shoulder smells like a bull chip. Let me go do my thing.” Menthos said and headed off to see Aleena

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases