Six Monarchs of Demonium

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'm sorry I don't know for sure, but all of that sounds like Greyhawk talk to me. Try searching for old gaming supplements, or for Greyhawk message boards...?

howandwhy99

Adventurer
victorysaber said:
This is all I've been able to find. What are they, and what is their history? Anyone knows?
Try asking over on the Canonfire forums you're linking too. The article you are quoting, like almost every other at that site, is a homebrew creation adding to the lore of Greyhawk. This one to be so too.

The only person who would have more information is likely the original author of that fan article. You can always try emailing him (from your linked page).

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Technically, that was I believe adapted from Erik Mona. It's technically "non-canon", as the only reference to those Monarchs were in the Gord the Rogue series--I believe Dance with Demons.

Hey guys! :)

I always thought it would have made more sense to have:

Pazuzu: Air
Zuggtmoy: Earth
Fraz-Urb'luu: Fire (He looks like a Balor)
Demogorgon: Water
Graz'zt: Life (Lust)
Orcus: Death

Ripzerai

Explorer
victorysaber said:
From http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=152

The Six Monarchs of Demonium: Graz'zt - Earth, Demogorgon - Water, Marduk - Fire, Orcus - Air, Zuggtmoy - Death (Decay and Fungus), Lolth - Life (Mother [of Spiders]). Odd as it may seem, Lolth is indeed a Mother aspect.

This is all I've been able to find. What are they, and what is their history? Anyone knows?

That's better summarized in this essay, which is largely based on Gary Gygax's post-TSR novels and the 1st edition Monster Manuals. All of those demons are mentioned in the Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss, although Marduk is called Kardum in that text.

The elemental associations are by Samuel D. Weiss, and generally not official. It's hard to argue that Demogorgon's realm is largely watery and that Marduk is associated with fire demons, but the other associations are suspect. I could as easily say that Zuggtmoy is associated with life, and Lolth with earth. Or Zuggtmoy with earth, and Graz'zt with life. Or Orcus with death and Lolth with air.

I don't think Sam got his information directly from Erik's article, as he has access to the same sources Erik drew from. But Erik's article, linked above, is useful for context.

I don't think Fraz-Urb'luu looks much like a balor, personally.

Last edited:

Remove ads