A DM's Twilight Tomb questions (SPOILERS)

roderickvd

First Post
My group and I will start playing The Twilight Tomb next session, and during preparation I've stumbled upon a couple of peculiarities I'd like to hear your opinion about. Here goes:

Citadel with a portal? Reading through the adventure background, Mourel was buried in his own citadel which was then cut free from Sildëyuir. Presumably wanting him to never return, I'm wondering what that portal is doing with his citadel.

Supporting structures? Upon waking in the demiplane, it is paraphrased that the PCs are unsure what is supporting the structures. I'm not sure myself, either. Do the towers sit on small rocky outcroppings, are they afloat, do they reach to the ocean floor, or do they rest on some sort of pillars? I can't seem to find it.

Doors sliding to the right? The glass doors open by pushing them inwards and then sliding them to the right. But what if you come from the "other side"? Can they be closed? Are they closed automatically?

Trained zombies? The line that monsters without intelligence were trained on how to open the doors struck me. Can zombies be trained in such a fashion?

Crystalline or smooth? The illustration on the cover pictures a battle amidst a crystalline bridge or footing of some sort. But another picture inside the module shows smooth bridges and towers. How do you picture it?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Welcome to ENworld!

Citadel with a portal? Reading through the adventure background, Mourel was buried in his own citadel which was then cut free from Sildëyuir. Presumably wanting him to never return, I'm wondering what that portal is doing with his citadel.

Sildëyuir is a demiplane that connects to the Realms through various portals, one of which existed in Mourel's citadel. The piece of Sildëyuir that contained Mourel's citadel has been jettisoned and now exists as its own separate (small) demiplane, but the portal remains.

Supporting structures? Upon waking in the demiplane, it is paraphrased that the PCs are unsure what is supporting the structures. I'm not sure myself, either. Do the towers sit on small rocky outcroppings, are they afloat, do they reach to the ocean floor, or do they rest on some sort of pillars? I can't seem to find it.

Page 6, "The Turbulent Sea" states that the towers are anchored in a dark rock that rises from the surrounding sea; one would imagine the rock are small islands. Page 5 describes it as being built on an atoll.

Doors sliding to the right? The glass doors open by pushing them inwards and then sliding them to the right. But what if you come from the "other side"? Can they be closed? Are they closed automatically?

Not specified. I think they can be pushed in on either side; they can be closed, but don't close automatically (the magic has failed).

Trained zombies? The line that monsters without intelligence were trained on how to open the doors struck me. Can zombies be trained in such a fashion?

I'd allow it. :)

Crystalline or smooth? The illustration on the cover pictures a battle amidst a crystalline bridge or footing of some sort. But another picture inside the module shows smooth bridges and towers. How do you picture it?
[/quote]

Fairly smooth, IMO.

Cheers!

roderickvd

First Post
MerricB said:
Welcome to ENworld!
Thanks!

MerricB said:
Sildëyuir is a demiplane that connects to the Realms through various portals, one of which existed in Mourel's citadel. The piece of Sildëyuir that contained Mourel's citadel has been jettisoned and now exists as its own separate (small) demiplane, but the portal remains.
Yeah, I thought about that. What do you think of all the (now long past) fuziness & friendliness in the contested tower? Mourel must've been one sly fox, playing goody-two-shoes on the one hand and unleashing undead forces on the other.

MerricB said:
Page 6, "The Turbulent Sea" states that the towers are anchored in a dark rock that rises from the surrounding sea; one would imagine the rock are small islands. Page 5 describes it as being built on an atoll.
Thanks, I must've missed that. Makes me wonder why that would startle the PCs - perhaps the twilight blurs the distinction between towers, atolls and rolling sea.

It sounds like you've already played through the adventure. If you've got any further advice on DM'ing the module, I'd appreciate it!

Regards,

Roderick

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases