Open Design 2: Castle Shadowcrag is launched!

Man-thing

First Post
Taken from the Custom Adventure Livejournal by Wolfgang Baur

With Castle Shadowcrag clearly in the lead for voting, we're just three members (or one patron) away from meeting the commission and heading off into design.

It would be so perfectly fitting for this shadow-plane castle adventure to launch on Halloween, it makes me just about pop.

Will you be the patron who puts us over the threshold? I hope you will; please sign up and become the launch patron for this project.

Castle Shadowcrag

This large castle sourcebook that includes a shadow plane adventure, with a revolution against aristocrats, family madness and a curse that lets the plane of shifting shadows bleed into the castle. Family history and castle lore are interwoven with site exploration and intense combat, as well as new shadow spells. A set of flashback stories-within-a-story allow PCs to witness the castle's murder, bloodshed, and tragedy — and to set things right.

This adventure is heavy on the tragic prince, castle exploration, Gothic tone, bardic knowledge, historic legacy weapons and items, and it also includes a dungeon crawl, partly based on real castle dungeons. It also includes new shadow spells, a Star & Shadow mage, and all the sordid tales of entangled bloodlines.

Weighing in at a minimum of 45,000 words, it will take at least 4 months to write.

Patronage As a Publishing Strategy
I'm returning to an old, old model for writers with this adventure: patronage. In the medieval age and in the Renaissance, patrons were the ones who commissioned artists and writers. There was no such thing as a "publisher". People who wanted books paid someone directly to write them.

The OpenDesign approach applies that strategy to RPG adventures. It's a both a publishing experiment and a design experiment.

What's good about this approach?
Without big corporations or even small publishers standing between a writer and a buyer, Patrons have a much more significant say about the content. The people who commission the text will also choose the title, level, monsters and so forth. They become, effectively, patrons of the arts. I feel all feudal every time I think about it.

And who are you, exactly?
My name is Wolfgang Baur. I've been professionally involved in the RPG field for 15 years, starting at TSR and later at WotC. Here's an partial list of my credits, but I'm best known for things like Frostburn, Planes of Law, the Book of Roguish Luck, Assassin Mountain, "Kingdom of the Ghouls", and many more. I've written about 12 adventures for Dungeon magazine, and used to be its editor.

How many members do you need to get started?
About 50; the first one launched with 49, the second will have about 53 at launch. Since there's no retailer, no publisher, no distributor, and no print costs, even a tiny audience makes it worthwhile to design exclusively for patrons.

What would I get out of this?
You'd get:

* The complete adventure written to your instructions regarding level, monsters, etc. It is delivered as a PDF, and you'll get updates with errata if needed.
* Access to a private set of posts discussing the design.
* You'd be able to both watch and influence the design as it moves ahead, from outline to final form, with polls and comments.
* A series of design essays on topics that patrons choose. Many patrons find these one of their favorite parts of the experience.
* The adventure will not be sold to the public. Patrons of future Open Design projects may get a copy (for a fee), but the total number of copies will always be limited.

http://customadventure.livejournal.com/

Go sign-up. Voting on Monsters has begun today!

Last edited:

Monkey King

Explorer
Man-thing said:
Me too. It looks like Daniel from Highmoon Media popped over to increase his donation to the project.
He did, and I'm quite grateful! The whole thing is teetering on the edge of a Halloween launch, which just strikes me as totally awesome for a shadow-infested castle.

There's also a ferocious monster-mashing poll going on for patrons behind the scenes, and a general frenzy of launch activity.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
Yep, I upgraded to Patron. I wish I could go higher, too!
Come on, people, sign up so we can get all this shadowy goodness to a start! :)

Man-thing

First Post
Halloween Launch!

From Wolfgang Baur:

Halloween Launch!

Yes, the second Open Design project is now funded and underway. I'm delighted that it happened on Halloween, and I think it constitutes an excellent omen.

I am also delighted that I can stop feeling like one of those Public Television folks during the subscription drives. You know you're offering something good, but I'm still squeamish about saying so. And even more squeamish about asking for donations! It's *just*not*done. Or something.

The patron who put it over the top is [info]varianor, who helped edit "Steam & Brass". Thanks [info]varianor, and thanks to everyone who donated today. Thanks to you, we can now officially ramp up the discussion of monster choices, the Shadow plane, isometric maps, castle design, star & shadow magic, dark fey, and (you know) as much of the AWESOME as I can stuff into this one.

Target date for patrons to have the completed adventure in their hands: March 1.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you haven't joined up yet, there is still time. There is plenty of discussion going on behind the scenes, but it this design is consistent with the last the lower entry price points will start to disappear now that the minimum funding level is reached.

What does the extra money do?
- Allows Wolfgang to pay people for maps, art, and editing
- Allows Wolfgang to continue this sort of design project that is focused on the wants of the patrons.

http://customadventure.livejournal.com/

:cool:

Remove ads