Populating a tropical archipelago

Hairfoot

First Post
Shrimp and coral

Dannyalcatraz said:
Something else to think about...Pistol and Mantis shrimp
I spotted that in the giant crayfish thread (only at ENworld...).

I think they'd make great guard dogs for communities of offshore aquatic races. I'm thinking of including a nearby "coral town", perhaps of aquatic elves, which uses cultivated coral for building and defense. It probably breaks every law of oceanography, but D&D's not known for realism.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Actually, not only is that cook, it could work!

Pistol shrimps have been known to form symbiotic relationships with fish like gobies, and may live to be 20 years old. In a fantasy setting, aquatic elves could use their husbandry skills to form symbiotic relationships with them. Indeed, oversized ones would make ideal companions for non-nomadic aquatic druids or rangers, or possibly even familiars for arcane spellcasters.

Stomatopods like Mantis shrimps are highly intelligent (for crustaceans) and are active hunters. For adventuring aquatic druids, rangers, or paladins, the aggressiveness and fighting instincts of oversized specimens would be ideal. They would also make good stationary guard animals...as long as you only place one in the room- they only get along with others of their species when they're male & females.

And if your druids just happen to know Awaken...

Last edited:

CarlZog

Explorer
My favorite source for this kind of stuff is Blue Planet, a waterworld SF game written by a marine biologist. It's OOP now, but you can find the supplements online cheap. The setting ecology and monsters are wicked cool!

Carl

Remove ads