stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

Doomhawk

First Post
Selase mouths, The ancient witches of Lysaga Hill?, her brow creasing. It sounds like these witches are a permanent fixture of life in Barovia. And this man doesn't mention anything about stopping them, so they must be either very powerful, or not usually evil. If it's the former, removing the curse will be easier said than done. And if it's the latter, why did they curse her in the first place?

Hoping to draw the others' ideas, Selase offers, "If these witches are ancient, and the town has so much wealth, I wonder why something hasn't been done about them...?"

drothgery

First Post
Doomhawk said:
Hoping to draw the others' ideas, Selase offers, "If these witches are ancient, and the town has so much wealth, I wonder why something hasn't been done about them...?"

"I can think of a few reasons, but none that make much sense. Even if drawing someone with the ability to deal with them and an altruistic bent proved difficult, there are certainly plenty in Khorvaire with the right kind of skills for that sort of task who are willing to ply them for coin." Daellin adds.

GwydapLlew

First Post
"This bodes well for us," the shifter declared as he returns to his seat. "We have been hired to recover this 'Tome of Strahd' and presented with a further opportunity to cleanse the self-same region of evil." This last was proclaimed loudly enough that the inhabitants of the tavern could hear his words.

The large shifter leans forward and lowers his voice so that only the other five could hear him. "The messenger was not telling all he knew, however; I fear it could be an ambush - perhaps the Emerald Claw seeks to distract us from our task?"

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Jarrith goes over the letter in his head a few times, listening to the discussion the others are making. His brow furrows and he points a finger at the scroll.

"Let's not get carried away here, and start finding bogeymen behind every corner. All we have is this one man's note saying that the love of his life has been cursed by some supposed witches. For all we know, these 'witches' are nothing more than the girl's family, and there's a lover's dispute involved. That would certainly explain why nothing's been done in Barovia about them... because to everyone else, there ARE NO witches."

He looks over to his Lumin Brother and shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know what the Claw would hope to gain by trying to use this letter to set up an ambush. If they were in the area, they could pounce on us here if they really cared... it's not like we have an army around the corner to rush in to help defend us. Granted, if there's several villages up here in the mountains, they could use this note to hopefully get us to go to a wrong one... but as none of us know where the tome might be in the first place, that seems unlikely."

Jarrith wraps his speech up by looking at all of the group. "I don't think this note changes our plans one bit... with the exception that we now have an 'in' with the town. If nothing else, we now have a desperate man probably willing to attend on us when we arrive, and we don't have to waste time trying to 'make nice' with the locals first. And getting that foot in the door will be the first step on finding the tome."

Last edited:

James Heard

Explorer
This will all end badly, Janis thinks sourly, as she stalks over to her seat and downs her wine before calling for another.

"Badly," she mutters into her cups.

James Heard

Explorer
"Nothing. I think the wine might sit with me badly," says the white-haired magess without slowing down her consumption one bit.

"We should get to bed early so as to leave at first light," she finishes.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The door to the inn opens again, slower this time, and in walks the 'leader' of the expedition, Mateush Orchem, historian of the Twelve. As usual, his hair and clothes are tightly controlled, even after a long days journey.

Once he sees the group, he walks over immediately. "Some sort of commotion, eh? Saw the rider. Any indication of what he wanted?"

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Jarrith rolls up the parchment then tosses it to Orchem. "Seems that the Burgomaster of a small village in the area... name of Barovia... is having some difficulties with 'witches'... or so he says. Some have found the arrival of this message a little too convenient for their tastes... but at the same time, it's not like we have a better place to ride to."

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The historian looks at the letter closely, mouthing the words slightly as he does so. "Hmm. This does seem fortuitous, as that is the place where the item is purported to be." Mateush never called it the 'Tome', always the 'item.' One would almost think he was superstitious. He takes a free seat and looks at the rest of the seated. "If this letter is to be believed, they would prefer assistance as soon as possible. There is no way possible for the carts to get there any sooner than two or three days, but a lone band of forward scouts would make much better time."

Remove ads