Vin Diesel plays D&D

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Dingleberry said:
I'd rather see him as a barbarian, covered in clan tattoos and/or brands and wailing away with a greataxe.

There was a rumor a few months back he would be in the third Conan movie- playing a follower of Conan, Kon.. or something like that.

FD

Psion

Adventurer
Side note:

Pitch black has joined the hall of oft-quoted movies at our gaming table with the "looks clear" quip. Seems to come up whenever players make a dubious spot check and I say "you don't see anything..."

For those who missed the referred to scene:

Johns: How's it look?
Riddick: Looks clear.
[They step forward, and a creature jumps at them. They fight and kill it.]
Johns: You said it was clear!
Riddick: I said it looked clear.
Johns: Well, how does it look now?
Riddick: Looks clear.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Joshua Dyal said:
This "news" was heavily discussed here on this board, what, two-three weeks ago? :confused:

And very very recently in another thread.. ah well. :) I guess people are excited. I'm just glad it's not Tom Hanks.

Reynard

Legend
First of all, FaF was basically "Point Break" with a search/replace done on "surfing" for "racing". Otherwise, same movie.

Now, Vin Diesel himself is a pretty good actor. i like Pitch Black, I liked him in Boiler Room, and he was convincing in SPR. But none of those movies were his first and this is why I like him:

VIn goes to hollywood to become a famous actor. He gets 1 commercial in 2 years. he leaves Hollywood. Vin goes hoem to new yourk and writes, directs, and stars in his own movie. boom, he's famous. The end.

That kind of talent and dedication has to be appreciated.

Plus, he's a geek like us, which is cool.

JDragon

Explorer
Somebody asked earlier why this is a big deal, well in a lot of ways its not, but when you look at the other press D&D has gotten over its life so far this is a good thing.

You have someone that has become a well known actor on their way to becoming the next big action guy, that plays D&D and so far (to my knowledge) has had very little bad press.

If his star continues to rise, we very well could see a (D&Dish) fantasy/action movie writen buy someone that actually plays vs who ever it was that wrote the D&D movie. (which I'm sorry to say I saw) Plus the new people it may bring in when they see someone like Vin Diesel playing.

Well back to work more thoughts later.

JDragon

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Liked Pitch Black, SPR and Boiler Room (didn't see FaF, and xXx isn't out yet, is it?). And I think Vin is a very good actor.

Odd thing to me is what I haven't heard anyone speculate, yet. (Correct, and forgive, me if I have missed a post, please.)

Everyone keeps mentioning possible movies for him to star in that would be D&D related but no one is mentioning the FR series in the works. It's not uncommon these days for stars to cross over between movies and television. I can't think of a better star for them to add into that series and bring lots of fans to the show.

Speculation, of course, but who would he play (assuming that they use known characters) or what type of character might he be slated to play if they did get him for the FR TV series? :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I don't know where you people live, but round where I live, Vin Diesel is big, he's no where near up and coming, since fast and the Furious, he's been the most bad*** action guy around. And with xXx coming out, that just makes him 3x better.

Technically, by Hollywood standards, Mr. Diesel has not even had his "break-out" role yet, much less his "most bad-ass action guy" role. Most of the nation probably still doesn't know his name, and he has not been cast in the lead role in a "big" film, yet. Even xXx will probably not do it for him. He is around the same level as, say, Christian Bale. People in the industry acknowledge that he is there, think generally postively of his acting abilities, and believe he will go places, if he doesn't mess it up by taking too many bad roles.

King_Stannis

Explorer
Mistwell said:

Technically, by Hollywood standards, Mr. Diesel has not even had his "break-out" role yet, much less his "most bad-ass action guy" role. Most of the nation probably still doesn't know his name, and he has not been cast in the lead role in a "big" film, yet. Even xXx will probably not do it for him. He is around the same level as, say, Christian Bale. People in the industry acknowledge that he is there, think generally postively of his acting abilities, and believe he will go places, if he doesn't mess it up by taking too many bad roles.

i disagree with this. is he arnold or bruce? no. i don't know who the hell christian bale is, but i think i can safely say that vin diesel is better known than him.

by the way, as much as critics didn't care for FaF, the movie was a huge success for the studio. plenty of moviegoers liked it despite what critics said. i would argue that FaF was his breakout role. i myself didn't see FaF but have seen all of his other movies and the guy is a pretty good actor.

Remove ads