Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic [SPOILERS]

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Is anybody reading this? I played the video game (which occurs after these books), and I've read some of the other KotOR material, but I'm really digging these. They're so ... DARK.

What are other opinions? What are you liking/disliking? Does it fit the genre well for you? What do you make of the characters and their actions/motivations, etc.?

In particular, I'm interested in what people make of Lucian's action in the first few books, and the Covenant. Have these folks fallen to the Dark Side? Is it possible to be an evil Light Sider? Is what they did evil? Can you fall to the Dark Side, and still see the Sith as the enemy?

Anyway, lots of questions, and I'm thinking that between KotOR and Legacy, there are two great new eras for Role Playing.

possum

First Post
I'm loving the KotOR comic series. It's no Tales of the Jedi, but it does do the era justice. It's also trading places constantly with Legacy for my favorite current ongoing series.

As to the Covenant... Definate Dark Siders, but the Miraluka seems to be the one that would be the easiest to redeem. Lucien's a definate goner, though.

The only thing that I really dislike about the series is the lack of any real TotJ references. Nomi and/or Vima should have been shown on the Council in issue #9, but they weren't. All we have are Mandalore, and a few pathetic references to Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma. Where are Tott and Sylvar, dammit!

Ryngard

Explorer
I haven't read comics since they ruined X-men after the Age of Apocalypse but I did get both Star Wars KOTOR and Star Wars Legacy. Both are EXCELLENT!

I really like KOTOR (Its my favorite era) and I hope it continues for years.

It would be nice for more TotJ inclusion... but I do like that they are using the video games to foreshadow stuff. i.e. the Jedi Council has most if not all the members who banish the Exile, etc.

possum

First Post
I haven't really noticed that about the Council personally, since my computer is unable to play the games at the moment. I have, however, heard that from other people. So, I guess that could be considered an adequate excuse.

Sadly, TotJ has been treated like this since the KotOR games, so I'm not that surprised at the lack of references. While I'm enjoying the comics, I just absolutely loved the old TotJ stuff that pretty much created the era, and I do wish there was at least more connections to them instead of acting like they aren't even there.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Some of the stuff I've read on the internet suggest that Zayne might be the Exile (though I haven't played KotOR II, so I'm not as up on the plot details as I otherwise might be). It's interesting to speculate where this might all go -- Zayne might be the exile, and perhaps Lucian Darth Nihilus?

Who knows? I'm just enjoying the fact that it's a starwars era where I can really feel invested in the choices of the characters, because I haven't known for 20 years how it all turns out. Same with Legacy.

possum

First Post
Remus Lupin said:
Some of the stuff I've read on the internet suggest that Zayne might be the Exile (though I haven't played KotOR II, so I'm not as up on the plot details as I otherwise might be). It's interesting to speculate where this might all go -- Zayne might be the exile, and perhaps Lucian Darth Nihilus?

Who knows? I'm just enjoying the fact that it's a starwars era where I can really feel invested in the choices of the characters, because I haven't known for 20 years how it all turns out. Same with Legacy.

Zayne can't be the Exile. The Exile's a woman. If Zayne is anyone except for Zayne, I think he'd be Nihilus. Personally, I hope he's just Zayne.

Ryngard

Explorer
Exile's a man in my game. :) That would be cool but it won't work as Exile was trained by Atris and Zayne by this Lucien guy.

TotJ occurs 40+ years in the past. How often do we discuss the Korean War (50s)? Its the same thing in KOTOR. TotJ is the past and this is two generations later.

As far as the Exile's identity, last I knew regarding Lucasarts' official stance in regards to EU continuity was that the Exile was male, and the light side ending is the "canon" ending, much as it was for Revan.

I know that Leeland Chee was trying to get the Exile to be female in the KOTOR/EU canon, but I don't think that panned out.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
How often do they retcon things in the Star Wars universe (Han shooting first notwithstannding)? Maybe they could decide retroactively that the Exile IS in fact male.

Regardless of how they play the connection to the videogames, I'm intrigued by the characters and their moral decisions. I have a hard time believing that any well-trained Jedi would make the decision that Lucian and the seers made on Taris. But based on the subsequent comics, I get the impression that they WEREN'T well-trained, but rather were indoctrinated by Lucian's monomaniacal mother.

As the issues come out, I find myself increasingly intrigued by Lucian. It seems he was formed to be what he is, not entirely of his own volition. Yet, he crossed the line on Taris, and unless there's a serious intervention to bring him back to the light he and the whole covenant will decend to the Dark Side, and rather quickly.

Remove ads