3.0 - Cleric as Holy Warrior

My group is currently planning an IRC/OpenRPG-based campaign with a Lawful Good/Holy Warrior theme, as we got to discussing paladins a couple months ago and somehow everybody got excited about it at the same time. There are two, possibly three players, and since the other player is going Rogue/Paladin, I thought I might try the virtues of a cleric in a fighting role, given the benefit I can gain from self-buffs and the occasional righteous nuke. My main concern is how much mixing with Fighter I ought to do.

Here's the particulars: the campaign is 3.0, core books only. Ability generation is 28-point buy. We're starting at level 7. My deity has the Law, War, Strength, and Destruction domains, and has Greatsword as his favored weapon. I'm definitely taking War as one of my domains. The image I've got is very much like Saber in Fate/Stay Night - a stolid, dutiful knight quick on the feet while commanding crushing blows and able to call down holy fury. I definitely want to take Power Attack and (Combat) Expertise for the options they give me.

So, the dilemma I'm running into is this: I'm thinking about dipping into Fighter for four levels for Weapon Specialization, and I'd be Clr4/Ftr3 at the start. However, going this way I'd only have level 2 spells. How much is it going to hurt me to delay my greater spellcasting ability? How does a straight 7th-level Cleric stack up against a Cleric/Fighter multiclass in a melee capacity?

hanniball

First Post
YokoburiKinura said:
My main concern is how much mixing with Fighter I ought to do.

None. But if you must multi-class, one level at the most. Fighter hurts you far more than it helps in a Cleric build. One of the main class features for the Fighter is their weapon proficiencies and you're getting that for free with the War domain (one weapon at least...)

Yokoburikinura said:
How does a straight 7th-level Cleric stack up against a Cleric/Fighter multiclass in a melee capacity?

Cleric > Fighter, IMHO. Once you get Divine Power cast, the only thing the Fighter builds got on you is a couple of feats. In a core-only environment, these feats are much less useful than raw spellcasting power.

A build suggestion:

Human Cleric 7
Domains: Strength, War
Feats: Wpn Focus: Greatsword (War), Extend Spell (1), Power Attack (Human), Expertise (3), Improved Trip (6)

Either way...just my 2 cp

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
In General, I'd agree with Hanniball - if you want the most bang for your level, don't take any fighter levels - you'll get more out of your spellcasting.

The Cleric 7 is going to be way more impressive if given the chance to buff up. With a side benefit of having access to some useful stuff for other team members.

In mechanical terms, all a single fighter level would offer you is 1 feat, 1-2 HP and proficiency in a whole bunch of heathen martial weapons your god doesn't like (and tower shields). In return for which, it slows down your spellcasting.

The Cleric 7 is weaker if: you have a huge number of encounters per day and/or never get a chance to buff before combat and/or run out of spells.

The main issue I've seen with self buff clerics is that they often spend the first couple of combat rounds buffing and by the time they join in, the fights halfway over. In that situation, I find them more effective if they buff other players up instead?

Barbarian 1/Cleric X can be fun. Buff then Rage. But the lawful tone of your campaign indicates to me that probably isn't on the cards. :)

So, Fighter seems to be a losing proposition. Is Weapon Specialization and other bonus feats really so overshadowed by spells, then?

The more I look at it, I can see how single-classing is valuable, but not really for the higher-level spells. However, caster levels are a big deal - at least I'd be getting better at my 'secret martial techniques', as I like to style the buffs.

Haniball's suggestion of Extend Spell is quite astute - thanks! With that, it is a lot easier to do long-term buffs in the morning and be ready for combat all day, holding Divine Power in reserve for the really tough combats.

As for Barbarian, yes, it really is too bad. :)

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Something to consider: you could eschew the war domain and take Destruction and Strength instead.

As others alluded to, the bane of self-buffing clerics is prep time. My comment on several occasions has been, "gee, you really kick butt now that combat's over. Too bad you didn't manage to do anything during the combat." Strength and Destruction domains both, in their own way or combined, allow your cleric to dish out a no prep smackdown. Smite for +4 to hit and +cleric level damage is nice, and, especially at mid to high levels, being able to turn on your strength domain for one round of mightiness is great. At 7th level, assuming an even strength, that's +7 to hit and +10 damage with a one-handed weapon or +7 to hit and +11 to +12 damage with a two handed weapon. That's the kind of a boost that will often take an enemy who you ordinarily need three hits to kill and let you manage it in two or take an enemy who you need two hits to kill and let you do it in one.

But you want to use a greatsword? You could always spend the feat. It's not the best thing you can do with a feat, but you can do a lot worse. (I played a 3.0 cleric who was 7th or 8th level when I converted him to 3.5 and he started by spending a feat on martial weapon proficiency: greatsword). On the other hand, you don't really need to use a greatsword. The good old heavy mace is a very solid weapon and won't let you down.

A bit more advice: 28 point buy is not really enough to make a cleric who can take both expertise and power attack. IMO, the default 28 point martial cleric is probably strength 14, dex 10, con 14, int 10, Wis 15, Cha 12. (Charisma is there for turning and the potential of taking Leadership, etc). You could change that around by dumping charisma and buying a 16 strength or even a 16 wisdom and 12 dexterity (good for maxing out your fullplate), but without dumping dexterity as well or reducing your wisdom to 14, you won't be able to qualify for Expertise. So, you need to narrow your goals a little bit.

A good setup might be the statblock I laid out earlier, and a feat chain depending upon your domains:

War and Destruction: Martial Weapon (bonus), Weapon Focus (bonus), Power Attack, Cleave, Extend Spell, Empower Spell

Strength and Destruction: Power Attack, Cleave, Extend Spell, Empower Spell (You could lose Cleave for Martial Weapon Proficiency or Weapon Focus).

Multiclassing:

The basic rule of multiclassing is this: You're allowed one level of non-spellcasting. After that, you're not really a cleric/wizard/whatever else. You're a fighter/barbarian/whatever else with a extra spellcasting ability. So, you can play a fighter 4/Cleric 3. And while it may lack the raw power of a high level cleric, you would fill a role that the cleric needs at least one round of prep to perform. The proper way to look at such a character isn't, are they better than a cleric--they're not; rather ask if it's better than a fighter 7 because that's the role you would be filling. In that case, you essentially trade 1 point of base attack bonus for minor curative abilities, the ability to cast your own bull's strength (at moderate duration), +2 to will saves and +2 to fort saves, and a once per day smite that adds a noticable attack bonus if not a lot of damage. At 7th level, that looks like a pretty decent trade. The problem is that the marriage of fighter and cleric becomes more uneasy after that. At 8th level, you pick up cleric 4, but then what? If you go up in cleric, you become a cleric who traded two levels of spells for weapon specialization and a few feats. Not a good deal. If you go up in fighter, the benefits your cleric level provide become less significant. (Though with some non-core material, you might be able to make Turn Undead work for you). You could also decide to advance in paladin after that, and that would work for a little while, but sooner or later, you'd get to the point where the cleric spells you got from being a cleric 4 are not as good as the paladin spells you would get for being paladin 4 more. In 3.0, I think you might be able to swing losing a second point of BAB and going up to cleric 8 before going the rest of the way in fighter (with a short dip into paladin because, well, how many worthwhile feats are there really in 3.0 core rules). That would get you empowered bull's strength and empowered endurance along with some spells like air walk and death ward that have an indefinite shelf-life.

As for the rest, remember that this is 3.0 you're playing. Bull's strength and Endurance last 1 hour per level. And Greater magic weapon and magic vestment both advance on the +1/3 caster levels path. And necklaces of prayer beads with the bead of karma are dirt cheap. At 7th level, using the necklace of prayer beads, you can have +3 armor and a +3 weapon for the cost of one 3rd level and one 4th level slot. For the cost of a 3rd level slot, you could prayer bead yourself to a 22 hour extended bull's strength. For the cost of a 4th level slot, you could have an empowered bull's strength up for 11 hours--enough to be active when you want it for the most part.

Advancement: For a real cleric character, the best part of melee clericdom is yet to come. At 8th level, with a bead of karma, your magic vestement and greater magic weapons would advance to +4. At 9th level, you would want to pick up Quicken Spell so you can use Quickened Divine Favor. 3.0 Righteous Might isn't as good as 3.5, but it's still pretty good. And, of course, you could then flame strike things.

Wow, that's a lot to digest. Let's see what I can respond to off the top of my head...

In general, I've tried to take into account both the domain spell lists and domain powers. Destruction's smite ability is clearly one of the best available. I'm not too inspired by the spells, though - I'm just not a big fan of Inflict spells. Strength and War have good lists, and their main failing is the overlap of Magic Vestment, leaving me no choice in that spell slot, not that I'd be prepping anything else for a long time. I'm definitely not going to count out Destruction just yet, though.

You're right about 28-point buy being very tight. Most of my playing with the numbers assumed 14 Wisdom, 12 Constitution, leaving me enough to up the Int score. With an extended or empowered Endurance, I think I could get away with Con as it is. Just how big a problem is it to have less than 15 Wisdom (assuming I'm not terribly worried about True Resurrection and the like)?

I can't really argue with what you say about multiclassing - either Fighter/Cleric (which is almost essentially Paladin without the Paladin benefits) or almost all Cleric... definitely sways me in the direction of pure Cleric at this point.

Ooh, prayer beads! I just may have to rethink blowing my whole budget on mithral armament... :]

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
How big a deal less than a 15 wisdom is will depend upon how long the campaign runs.

My usual answer is: 15 wisdom guarantees you a bonus 3rd level spell at level 5 and, with a +2 periapt, gives you a bonus 4th level spell at level 7. That's a big deal. But, when you start at 7th level, it may not be quite as big a deal as it would be starting from level 1. After all, it's only one level to 8th level where you get to the same spot. Long term, however, a 15 wisdom allows you to reach a 20 base wisdom at level 20 (rather than having an odd stat point to put somewhere). And it's quite nice to get that bonus 5th, 6th, or 7th level slot (depending upon the strength of your periapt) at level 12+.

If you anticipate the campaign being relatively short--ending around 12th level or so, you can probably afford to start with the 14 wisdom (though the first level will hurt). However, if you anticipate the campaign going long-term, I would go with the 15 wisdom.

The 12 Con is a risk that I would prefer not taking--especially as a melee character likely to use a two-handed weapon (and thus forgoe a shield). You don't ever want to count on an endurance to keep your hit points up (though it's still a good idea). Spells can get dispelled or you can roll poorly on the d4+1. Con 14 is the way to go unless you can afford higher.

In 3.0, Expertise wasn't all that special anyway. In 3.5, the feats it leads to (Improved Trip, etc) are much better.

WRT the domain spells, ask yourself what you're going to do with the spell slots. If you have good choices at every spell level, in some ways, it doesn't matter if your second domain has another option. My anticipation would see the usual layout as:

Strength and War: 1. Endure Elements 2. Bull's Strength 3. Magic Vestment 4. Divine Power 5. Flame Strike 6. Blade Barrier

Options 1. Magic weapon--worthless when you have real magic weapons. 2. Spiritual Weapon--not very good in 3.0; 3. Magic Vestment 4. Spell Immunity 5 Righteous Might (not too spiffy in 3.0 but OK) 6. Stoneskin

Strength and Destruction: 1. Inflict Light Wounds. 2. Bull's strength (for a friend) 3. Magic Vestment 4. Empowered Bull's Strength 5. Righteous Might (or extended and empowered Bull's Strength--one for everyone in the party) 6. Harm

Options: 1. Endure Elements--not bad but not great. 2. Shatter--situationally useful. Generally not. 3. Contagion--not particularly good, but it is another option. 4. Inflict Critical Wounds. Competitive with Spell Immunity but not with a 3.0 empowered bull's strength. 5. Circle of Doom. (Flame Strike it's not--unless you have undead minions which doesn't sound like your style). 6. Stoneskin A solid choice and competitive with harm. After this, destruction and strength both have a long list of REALLY good spells.

War and Destruction: 1. Inflict Light Wounds 2. Shatter 3. Magic Vestment 4 Divine Power 5 Flame Strike 6. Harm

Options: 1 Magic weapon 2. Spiritual Weapon 3. Contagion 4. Inflict Critical Wounds 5. Circle of Doom 6. Blade Barrier

On the whole, I think you have good options for nearly all your domain slots whichever combination of domains you pick, but the strength and war offers slightly better options at low levels with the destruction and strength combo offering the best options at high levels (13+). Destruction and War seems like the weakest combo both in the short and long term.

YokoburiKinura said:
You're right about 28-point buy being very tight. Most of my playing with the numbers assumed 14 Wisdom, 12 Constitution, leaving me enough to up the Int score. With an extended or empowered Endurance, I think I could get away with Con as it is. Just how big a problem is it to have less than 15 Wisdom (assuming I'm not terribly worried about True Resurrection and the like)?

YokoburiKinura said:
So, Fighter seems to be a losing proposition. Is Weapon Specialization and other bonus feats really so overshadowed by spells, then?

In a word? Yes.

Haniball's suggestion of Extend Spell is quite astute - thanks! With that, it is a lot easier to do long-term buffs in the morning and be ready for combat all day, holding Divine Power in reserve for the really tough combats.

Especially since you are playing 3.0. Most of the animal buff spells were 1 hour/level then, so Extend Spell really paid off.

For game-breaking builds using 3.0 rules (and a lot of cleric builds in there), check out the Sultans of Smack thread: http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10188

Okay, here's a small question in relation to 'more hp vs. expertise' - Is it better to have, say, a 26 AC and 42 hp in a round, or a 21 AC and 49 hp? Are hp more valuable overall than AC? And how is this changed if we're playing under 'armor with damage reduction' or 'damage conversion' variants in UA?

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
More hit points vs. Expertise isn't really the tradeoff you're looking at. It's more hit points and a higher to-hit bonus versus more AC. The AC and hit point conversion can be calculated as follows on a purely average damage basis (the easiest way, but not necessarily the most helpful).

Average damage taken per round= damage per hit x chance to hit +chance of a confirmed critical hitx average damagex(crit multiplier-1) The math is simpler if you ignore crits, however so we'll do that for now.

Increasing AC by 5 points generally reduces the chance to hit by 25% (excluding "need a 20 to hit" and "hit on a 2 anyway" scenarios). So the five points of AC reduce the average damage you take per round by 25%. It takes a 25% hit point increase in order to match that in the context of average damage per round from physical attack.

Evidence follows:
If A=average damage per round and R=number or rounds then you are down when A x R >= hp. Logically then, R >= HP/A

If you want R to be equal in the AC scenario and the hit point scenario, then HP2 will be the increase in hit points and:
(HP+HP2)/A >= HP/ (A-.25A) this can be written as (HP+HP2)/A >= HP/(3/4 A)
Therefore 3/4 (HP+HP2)/A >= HP/A
Therefore 3/4 (HP+HP2) >= HP
Therefore 3 HP+4 HP2 >= 4HP
Therefore 4 HP2 >= HP
Therefore it is superior when HP2 >= HP/4

My experience, on the other hand, suggests that the proper ratio of hit points' value to AC's value is not actually 5% hit point total per point of AC. So, what's wrong with the picture?

Well, to start with, our model ignores the sources of damage that don't deal with AC. There are actually quite a few. The 5 point increase in AC does not do anything to reduce damage from spells with saving throws (or with no saves). Fireball, ice storm, flaming sphere, magic missile, etc all ignore your AC. Hit points help against them; AC doesn't. These abilities are far more common than the reverse situation where AC actually reduces damage more significantly than the above math indicates (rend is probably the most common example (where the 5 points of AC will mathematically reduce average rend damage per round by roughly 45% in addition to the 25% reduction in damage from the attacks that produce the rend)). The AC also does not help much in touch attack situations which are far more often "a two hits anyway" situations and where a non-combat expertise AC increase won't apply. The AC also won't help against grapple situations. (Though it may help to prevent the grapple from being started).

A second problem is that our model here treats hit points as a non-renewable resource. In actual game situations, they're not. Combat healing spells can extend the lifespan of both the increased and the decreased AC character and render the high AC less necessary for survival than the above analysis might indicate. (Also note that, if you don't run out of healing in a day's adventuring, then the reduced AC hasn't hurt you).

The third problem, and probably the most significant one is that simple statistics are not actually as relevant to D&D combats as the kind of math I've seen called "discrete probability." This is illustrated very well by some well-known examples from the D&D minis game.

Let's take a character A with 60 hit points. How much of an increase in his effectiveness is produced by bumping his hit points to 65? The real answer is "much more than the <10% amount would indicate." Common damages in D&D minis fall into the 5, 10, 15, 20, and 30 point per swing ranges (That's pretty true in normal D&D too unless you get really mega-buffed and are power attacking for a lot, smite evil on a spirited charge, have a Zealot Pact kick in or are in another corner case situation). Minis that do 5 and 10 points of damage per swing are generally not dangerous enough to be the focus of the game (and, by the level you have 60 hit points in regular D&D, that's also true unless they have dangerous special abilities). Now is where the discrete probability comes in. How many 15 point swings does it take to drop/kill the 60 hit point character? 4. The 65 hit point character? 5. That's effectively a 25% increase in the number of swings it takes to drop the character. How about 20 damage swings? They go from 3 to 4--a 33% increase in survivability. How about 30 damage swings? They go from 2 to 3--a 50% increase in durability. That's a lot better than the 8.33% increase that it looks like using simple statistics and it demonstrates why minis with 65+ hit points are dramatically better than minis with <=60 hit points in the minis game.

Applying that logic to the rpg is more challenging than applying it to the minis game because the situations are far more varied. However, it's worth looking at the various effects of AC and hit points in the game. An ogre attacks at +8 for 2d8 +7 points of damage.

The 42 hit point character will take 3 average hits and be at -6. The 49 hit point character will take 3 average hits and be at 1hp. Well, 1 hp isn't a very good place to be if you're next to a creature that deals 16 points of damage a hit, but it's enough to drop a cure critical wounds spell on yourself and stay in the fight. It is also a pretty nice safety margin. If the ogre rolls just a bit hot on damage, the 42 hit point character is straight up dead. The 49 hit point character has room to take some significantly above average damage and still be alive (although negative). Though it's not as easy to model as the minis game, I think the extra 7 hit points winds up being significantly better than it sounds when you say "7 hit points" or just run the average damage analysis.

Now, on to the most important part: The choice: 5 points of AC or 7 hit points is a false choice. When creating the character, you don't really have a choice between 7 hit points and 5 points of AC. The real choice is between losing the 4 stat points from somewhere that includes 2 points of Con and not qualifying for Expertise. You could, for instance, run a character with 14 str, 10 dex, 14, con, 14 int, 14 wis, 10 cha. There you are losing bonus spells and DCs at certain levels in return for the ability to take Expertise. You could, alternately, go 14 str, 12 dex, 14 con, 10 int, 15 wis, and 8 cha and have the DCs and one point of AC all the time in return for a charisma penalty. There are any number of ways you could arrange your 28 points. The key question is this: Is expertise worth it?

In order to answer that question, you can't look at it as 5 points of AC. It isn't. It is a feat that can give up to 5 points of AC that apply only when attacking in melee and then only when you take a penalty of up to 5 points on your attack rolls. Thus it carries an opportunity cost (another feat), is situational (only when attacking), and comes at a price in terms of your damage output.

Opportunity Cost: Since we were looking at a hit point to AC ratio in the value part, let's look at the one core feat that gives more hit points: Toughness. This is generally acknowledged to be a very weak feat, but if we take the opportunity cost you lay out (sacrifice 2 points of Con), it's interesting to note that the hit point increase reaches 10--nearly the number necessary to offset a non-situational 5 point increase in AC that didn't come with penalties in an analysis that over-estimates the value of AC (25% of 42 would be 10.5). Obviously, that is only true at level 7, but it does give a rough picture of the value of that feat slot plus the con sacrifice. If Improved Toughness were available, that plus the two points of Con would blow Expertise away even in the analysis most favorable to Expertise.

Situational: How often are you going to be able to make it apply? Now, given the design of the character, you will be attacking a lot, but I'd guess that you'll spend at least something like one out of four combat actions casting a spell. Remember, as you weigh its value that it won't be 5 points of AC at those times.

The cost: Taking an attack penalty is serious business. Sometimes it won't matter because you still hit on a 2 (if you're attacking an ooze, for instance) or only hit on a 20 (but there shouldn't be many of those times for you). In general, however, as the math above indicates, it will result in a 25% reduction in your average damage per round as well as a 25% reduction in your opponent's average damage per round. (For whatever significance average damage per round has).

Slowing down the fight like that can be a good deal. If you have a cleric healing you up, maybe he is able to keep his healing in pace with the damage when you're using Expertise but would not be able to otherwise. (However, you ARE the cleric, so that won't really apply for you). If you have an archer or a wizard who can dish out the damage as long as nobody gets in his face, maybe the extra round or two that buys you is enough for your ally to kill the monster. (However, that doesn't sound like your party either). If your allies have withdrawn and are spending a round or two healing before returning to the fray, maybe slowing down the combat means that you're able to stand there and keep the monster off their backs instead of having to retreat yourself. It is also possible that the your damage much more consistently than your opponent so by slowing down the combat, you will eventually win the encounter. (The probability of actually hitting comes in here--if you can reduce the opponent's chance to hit enough while keeping your own accuracy at an acceptable level, you may well be able to get the hits you need in before your opponent gets the hits s/he needs--even if your average damage per round figures are identical. Of course, your opponent could also get lucky and just blow you out of the water too).

However, all of those tactics can be a challenge to pull off. After all, why won't the monster just go around you and finish off the cleric who is healing you, the archer/wizard dealing out the damage, or the dangerous opponents who are healing each other. Why will the enemies attack the high AC character if they can take down your more offensively oriented allies more quickly? (There's a reason that "take down the wizard first!" is a tried and true D&D battle tactic). In order to make Expertise work for you in those situations, you either need terrain that forces your opponents to deal with you because your position prevents them from getting to your allies (a narrow corridor is a good example of this), or an AoO that is likely enough to hit and deals enough damage that it's not worth the risk. A lot of times, Expertise reduces the AoO's likelihood to hit below the range where your AoO is scary.

All told, I don't think Expertise is a very good option for your character in general--certainly not when you consider the opportunity costs.

YokoburiKinura said:
Okay, here's a small question in relation to 'more hp vs. expertise' - Is it better to have, say, a 26 AC and 42 hp in a round, or a 21 AC and 49 hp? Are hp more valuable overall than AC? And how is this changed if we're playing under 'armor with damage reduction' or 'damage conversion' variants in UA?

Remove ads