The Elfish Gene - Another attack on gamers

grimwell

First Post
On the topic of aging gamers and the need for replacements to fill out the ranks... I'd like to remind everyone that you don't die when you turn 40! I'm an original 80's gamer, started with the red box. I am 35 years old. Statistics says I've got another 35 or so years of natural life ahead of me barring accidents, bad habits, etc.

So we don't need to 'replace' any of our grey gamers -- we need to just continue to have fun and be open to new players from any source. There is definite room for growth, but I don't think it's quite the time to get alarmed about gamers dieing of old age. The Baby Boomers are in the rest home, D&D's generation are the children of Baby Boomers... we have another generation to go before the nursing home begins to house D&D sessions as often as bingo night.

gizmo33

First Post
Zander said:
The average age of gamers is increasing and we're not going to live forever. If we don't find new players, the game will eventually fade.

One of the reasons I want to live to be 100 is to throw off these kinds of calculations. That's the thing about averages. I think it's to be expected that the group of us that started playing in the 80s is going to get older (hopefully). Wait till we get to the retirement homes, then it's really going to look unpleasant. I expect to see them start building retirement communities that look like Rivendell and advertising them in Dragon.

Dragon Vindaloo

First Post
:\ “Another attack on gamers”

The title of this thread sounds like its trying to say gamers are a persecuted minority or something like that, lol! The books light-hearted and means no harm, goodness gracious, get over it and don’t take things so serious, it's just a bit of a geeky hobby that we do for fun right? At least it's not LARPing! :p ;)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Aaron L said:
Actually, elves has always been the correct form. I know that growing up before I played D&D that Santa had elves and not elfs.

Heh, even the Firefox automatic spellchecker recognizes elves and not elfs.

Dwarves was revived by Tolkien, but not invented, I believe.

As it is now, Dwarfs refers to humans with dwarfism, and Dwarves refers to a race of fantasy creatures with big beards and axes.
Elfs, Elves, and even Elphs have all been accepted spellings of the word, going by many sources. (For elphs take a look at Percy's Relics and Childe's Ballads.)

Dwarves was a word created by Tolkien, since he was a student of languages he reasoned that the word would change if it were more commonly used, as would be likely in a world that contained a race of such. Thus, as calfs became calves, halfs became halves, and wolfs became wolves - dwarfs would become dwarves.

Sorry about the threadjacking, but....

The Auld Grump, how much the world has been changed by the invention of the dictionary, and how much more static spelling has become.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I fail to see how this is any different to books poking fun at men, women, blondes, stamp collectors, cricket fans or hairdressers.

Criminey, it's a MEMIOR! Not a JOKE BOOK! :)

I could probably write a similar book about some of my D&D experiences. Of course, it would be more filled with beer runs, football stars, male bonding rituals, smashing stuff in the woods, and gaming with extremely beautiful college women and being very well-adjusted sexually, so it wouldn't be very interesting...

....now my book on Anime Conventions....THAT thing is going to be HILARIOUS! :)

Remove ads