Hat of Disguise

phillipjp

First Post
Exactly how long does a Hat of Disguise last? Is it 30min (3rd level caster to Craft Wondrous) or is it "until you take it off"?

Initially, I went with 30min, but then again Boots of SS (as well as some other wearables) are also based on a first level spell, and they last until you take them off.

Galfridus

First Post
Technically, it's 20 minutes. You have to be 3rd level to create the item, but you can create it at a lower caster level, and the DMG entry says "2nd level" as a default.

That means you have to "renew" the spell every 20 minutes. Personally, I fudge that and let the hat renew itself -- makes things more interesting (people can sleep without wearing their disguise out, etc.).

However, don't forget the big limitation of the Hat: it's a Glamer. Anyone who interacts with the disguise potentially gets a Will save to see through the disguise, at a whopping DC 11.

BlindKobold

First Post
Isn't it a use activated item? I believe it is active as long as the person is wearing it, much like boots of striding and leaping.

If it was a spell activation item, that would be different. But since it's use activated, without limited charges, I would put it in the always on category.

phillipjp

First Post
[Said in a deep, ominous voice:]

I summon forth the divine wisdom of the oracle of oracles, the sage of sages Caliban, to solve this great mysterious riddle...

[...waits patiently for the thunderous reply...]

'o Skoteinos

First Post
However, don't forget the big limitation of the Hat: it's a Glamer. Anyone who interacts with the disguise potentially gets a Will save to see through the disguise, at a whopping DC 11.

That's not correct: you are changed as through the Change Self spell, which gives a +10 Disguise Check. This means that you can make a Disguise Check, add +10, add your normal modifier, and still get a *very* nice result.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Hmm... wouldn't "interact with" require more than just looking at? Unless they're grabbing your face, I'm not sure that the save applies.

BlindKobold

First Post
Actually, you can change your whole body, so just shakin hands might give them a chance.

Personally, I would think they would need to first see thru the disguise roll using a successful Spot.

Once they saw something was amiss, they would get a save to see thru the glamour.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Note: Creatures get Will saves to recognize the glamer as an illusion if they interact with it (such as by touching the character and having that not match what they see, in this case of this spell).
. . .
Saving Throws and Illusions (Disbelief): Creatures encountering an illusion effect usually do not receive saving throws to recognize it as illusory until they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion.
. . .
A failed saving throw indicates that a character fails to notice something is amiss. A character faced with incontrovertible proof that an illusion isn't real needs no saving throw.

So just looking? No save.

Studying carefully? Save.

Conversing with? Hmm, I would say no save if you are not trying to change your voice, and if your mouth was in the right place.

Touching? Yes, save. Unless the change was so minor that even the texture matched up with the part touched.

I would also allow a save for just being in close proximity to an illusion if the sound or such did not match up with the visuals (for example, if a guy in chainmail use a Hat of Disguise to make himself look like a guy wearing just a robe).

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Galfridus said:
Technically, it's 20 minutes. You have to be 3rd level to create the item, but you can create it at a lower caster level, and the DMG entry says "2nd level" as a default.

That means you have to "renew" the spell every 20 minutes. Personally, I fudge that and let the hat renew itself -- makes things more interesting (people can sleep without wearing their disguise out, etc.).

Galfridus is basically correct. As a "use activated" item, the hat is activated when worn, but you still have to decide on your disquise, and then it would last for the normal length of time of the spell.

Since it is "use activate" (the default for wondrous items), it can be "re-activated" as a free action as long as it's worn, giving it an effectively unlimited duration.

Personally, I wouldn't count it as "interacting" with the disguise unless you are touching them, or have the "Scent" ability and their scent is at odds with their appearance (i.e. they look like a dirty beggar but don't stink, or vice versa.)

phillipjp

First Post
What? No boom? No crackle of energy? I would have least thought that my monitor would have shaken slightly when Caliban posted his reply. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases