Do magic missiles glow?

dead

Explorer
I was just wondering what the consensus on the appearance of magic missles was?

In the Scourge of Worlds DVD D&D adventure they are depicted as small glowing balls. And, I must admit, I've always envisioned them as being glowing darts of force.

If they do glow with light, however, that means they would act as tracer fire and would not be very good for stealth.

How do your magic missiles work?

(In fact, many of us probably describe the effects of other spells as "glowing" for dramatic effect. If one cast a cure light wounds spell, for example, the DM might describe a glowing blue halo over the wound.)

Sithobi1

First Post
I have, at various times, described my Magic Missiles as the following:
Big blue balls that fly towards the enemy
Several flying darts
Daggers appearing out of nowhere to slash my opponents
Explosions of air

Hedgemage

First Post
They look however you want them to look.
The very best description I ever heard was a player whos elven sorceress would cup her hands, blow into them and release a handful of irridescent dragonflies that would then dart erraticly towards her target.

hanniball

First Post
I definitely prefer a DM that allows her players to arbitrarily describe the visualization of their magical effects as it allots for more personalized and contradistinctive characters.

However, the text for many spells describes the specifics of the visual effects, such as whether or not the spell causes luminescence. Magic Missle has no such descriptor and, therefore, would not "glow." There is a feat in the Player's Guide to Faerun called Spell Thematics that would allow for such shenanigans, IIRC.

Either way...just my 2 cp

kaomera

Explorer
hanniball said:
However, the text for many spells describes the specifics of the visual effects, such as whether or not the spell causes luminescence. Magic Missle has no such descriptor and, therefore, would not "glow." There is a feat in the Player's Guide to Faerun called Spell Thematics that would allow for such shenanigans, IIRC.
Now what you really need is a way to combine Magic Missile and Light...

For, y'know, when you cast it at the darkness... :lol:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Answer #1) They look like whatever the DM says they look like.

Answer #2) They look like whatever the player says they look like after his PC takes Spell Thematics.

Suggestion #1) Make Spell Thematics a bonus feat for all spellcasting classes, theme determined by PC concept or group affiliation.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
DMG p34

Magic is flashy. When characters cast spells or use magic items you should describe what the spell looks, sounds, smells or feels like as well as its game effects.

A magic missile could be a dagger shaped burst of energy that flies through the air. It could also be a fistlike creation of force that bashes into its target or the sudden appearance of a demonic head that spits a blast of energy... < snip >

You can let playerws describe the spells that their characters cast. Don't, however, allow a player to use an original description that makes a spell seem more powerful than it is. A fireball spell that creates an illusion of a dragon breathing flames goes too far < snip >

No need for any 'spell thematics' feat, the ability to choose how to describe it is right there in the DMG

Dioltach

Legend
The D&D Basic Set Player's Manual has a picture showing Bargle cast Magic Missile at the cleric. It's a glowing arrow (and the text describes it as such).

Personally, I feel that all casters should be at liberty to decide their magic's appearance for themselves, at least for something as prevalent as magic missiles.

Zander

Explorer
Dioltach said:
Personally, I feel that all casters should be at liberty to decide their magic's appearance for themselves, at least for something as prevalent as magic missiles.
I agree and, as Plane Sailing points out, so does the DMG. :)

The film/TV depiction I like best of a magic missile-like spell is the one from the made-for-TV movie Merlin starring Sam Neal (sp?) and Miranda Richardson. Richardson's character casts a spell in which her fingers extend to form arrow heads and then the arrows (not her fingers!) shoot off at her target.

Remove ads