Battle Caster

ChimericDream

First Post
Here's one I came up with for a couple of custom classes I'm working on:

Battle Caster [General]
You are able to cast spells while wearing some types of armor.

''Prerequisites:'' Proficiency with the armor or shield type selected.

''Benefit:'' Choose one category of armor or shield: light, medium, or heavy for armor; normal or tower for shields. You may ignore the arcane spell failure when wearing armor or wielding a shield from this category.

''Special:'' This feat may be taken multiple times. Each time it applies to a different category of armor or shield.
I know it's similar to other abilities and has the potential for abuse, but most full casters will have to burn a minimum of two feats just for light armor, and multiclass casters need some help when it comes to defense, since they often have to go unarmored and with fewer spells than full casters.

rgard

Adventurer
muzick said:
Here's one I came up with for a couple of custom classes I'm working on:

I know it's similar to other abilities and has the potential for abuse, but most full casters will have to burn a minimum of two feats just for light armor, and multiclass casters need some help when it comes to defense, since they often have to go unarmored and with fewer spells than full casters.

i would have it scale up as you go...must take light armor first, then medium, etc.

trav_laney

First Post
muzick said:
I allow something similar in my campaign, but it is a lot less powerful. My version of the feat reduces the character's arcane spell failure chances by 10%, to a minimum of 0%. The feat can be taken multiple times, and its effects stack.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
trav_laney said:
I allow something similar in my campaign, but it is a lot less powerful. My version of the feat reduces the character's arcane spell failure chances by 10%, to a minimum of 0%. The feat can be taken multiple times, and its effects stack.

Same here. -10% for a feat, requires armor proficiency.

Cheers, -- N

ChimericDream

First Post
Thanks for the replies. Here's the revised version. I had meant to imply that it must be taken in order, but have added in a note stating such.

Battle Caster [General]
You are able to cast spells while wearing some types of armor.

Prerequisites: Proficiency with the armor or shield type selected.

Benefit: Choose one category of armor or shield: light, medium, or heavy for armor; normal or tower for shields. You may ignore the arcane spell failure when wearing armor or wielding a shield from this category.

Special: This feat may be taken multiple times. Each time it applies to a different category of armor or shield.

Note: This feat must be taken in the same order as the armor proficiency feats. i.e. - You must take this feat for light armor before medium armor, and medium before heavy, etc.

Dominic Ladon

First Post
Interesting feat. Seems balanced since it will ultimately require you to take two feats to gain the benefit. The revision is much better than the original. It would be interesting to see how it play tests. :D You should try it in one of your campaigns. :D

ChimericDream

First Post
Gee, I wonder why you (of all people) would suggest that....

Thanks for the compliment, though. I'll see about letting you take the feat. You've still got to get proficiency first.

ChimericDream

First Post
This is true, but a mage will still have to burn a feat for *each* type of armor or shield they want to wear without taking spell failure, and since they have to start at light armor, there is still a pretty significant trade off.

GreatLemur

Explorer
muzick said:
This is true, but a mage will still have to burn a feat for *each* type of armor or shield they want to wear without taking spell failure, and since they have to start at light armor, there is still a pretty significant trade off.
Not to mention that taking a level of Fighter means not taking a level of Wizard. Our hypothetical armored caster deserves those benefits for falling behind in the spell levels/slots arms race.

As somebody who's never been a fan of niche protection or archetype maintenance, I see no problem with this feat.

Remove ads