Into the Moral Darkness: (Now a Completed Story!)

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Nonlethal Force proudly presents ...​

Into the Moral Darkness

The continuation of Bitterness Overcome:
A Story of Rhema, Ischarus, Charis, and Semeion​

[Sblock=Table of Contents]
Chapter 01: The Changing State of Conjugality .............. post 1
Chapter 02: Deception Revealed ................................. post 10
Chapter 03: The Infertile Hunt .................................... post 18
Chapter 04: Deception Doubled ................................... post 25
Chapter 05: The Complete Outlandishness of Them All ..... post 35
Chapter 06: A Snare of Their Own ............................... post 42
Chapter 07: The Coming of the Whetting One ............... post 50
Chapter 08: Arum Dracunculus ................................... post 56
Chapter 09: Essential Faculties .................................. post 62
Chapter 10: You Can't Go Back Again .......................... post 71
Chapter 11: Killing the Roots and All ............................ post 77
Chapter 12: Ferreting Out the Wizard's Hound ............... post 83
Chapter 13: Delusive Cessation .................................. post 91
Chapter 14: Promising Respite .................................... post 98
[/Sblock]

[Sblock=Major Characters]
Rhema - A manipulator of minds - Rhema speaks in Pale Green
Ischarus - A sword wielding arcanist - Ischarus speaks in Light Blue
Charis - A tool of the divine - Charis speaks in Orange
Semeion - A talented mage - Semeion speaks in Plum

Additionally, speech from minor characters will be in Lime. Speech of the antagonist to the party will be in Red. I hope the use of color makes your reading pleasurable! If not, there are Sblocks in which the colored speech has been removed.

Special Note of Appreciation:
I would also like to give serious thanks to the ENWorld poster Hunter for the following picture:

Rhema: Dungeoneering At Its Finest as given in this post.
[/Sblock]

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Chapter One: THE CHANGING STATE OF CONJUGALITY

It was almost summertime once more in the lands of Enigmatica. Ischarus knew that it would be time to begin another sequence of journeys into Quehalost as he turned and looked at himself in the mirror. “Yep, I’ve gained a few pounds over the winter and spring again. There’s nothing like a good trip into Quehalost to trim you up, though!” Ischarus laughed as his eyes took in the sight.

He looked different than normal on this particular day. He wore a new leather jacket and new pants but this was certainly not what made him oddly dressed. The fact that the pants were fresh from being pressed helped make his appearance a bit on the odd side for him. Underneath his new leather jacket he had taken the time to button his shirt completely to the top. This also helped give him an appearance that was different than normal. Ischarus even wore a new pair of thin leather riding gloves upon his hands. But even above all the new clothing, what struck Ischarus as odd about himself was the fact that he was staring into a mirror and seeing trimmed and combed hair on the top of his head.

As Semeion stood beside him in matching clothing, he also noticed that Ischarus looked odd today. Semeion’s eyes were not focused on the clothing or the hairstyle that Ischarus wore, however. Rather, Semeion’s eyes focused on two large shields that rested at their feet. The shields were not for actual use since they had no handles with which to hold them. Rather, these shields had a single leather strap fastened to the top left and bottom right sides of the shield. These shields were designed to sling over one’s shoulders so that the shield rested properly along one’s back.

Semeion spoke as he lifted one of the shields up and slipped the strap over his shoulder. His words demonstrated that he was going to ignore Ischarus’ earlier comment about heading into Quehalost soon. “It was awful nice of Ausaphaborishan to donate two of his scales for the day, even if the scales do kind of remind me of something to make me look a bit like a turtle.” He smiled as he admired his back in his own mirror.

Ischarus replied with a nod. “Indeed, you do look a bit like a turtle!” Ischarus laughed teasingly as he admired the way that the lightly colored dragon scale accented the leather coat. “I’ll need to remember to complement Charis and Rhema on their ability to match the colors of the leather with that of my dragon father’s scales. They did an excellent job in designing these clothes for the day.”

Semeion smiled and nodded. The young mage put his own pair of thin riding gloves on and lifted Ischarus’ shield up from the floor. “Care to see what yours looks like upon your back, sir? The time is drawing near, you know.”

As Ischarus looked at the shield in Semeion’s hands he couldn’t help but smile in pride. The use of a dragon’s scales from the dragon father was a custom in all proper services involving servants of the virtuous dragons. The scales helped identify the dragon to which each of the servants belongs.

Semeion also looked at the shield. “I hope the donation of the scales was not a painful process.”

Ischarus smiled and replied. “While it is good of you to be concerned, the process is relatively pain free. In the same manner as snakes shed their outer scales, dragons also loose their scales from time to time. Some of the dragons lose their scales annually while others loose them less frequently. In any case, new scales are almost constantly growing up from the underside of the current scales. When they are hard enough and large enough, the old scales are simply sloughed off. In most communities of Drakontai, the scales are kept and honored among the people for times like these.”

Semeion smiled and hoisted Ischarus’ shield even higher. “Good to know! Now I don’t need to feel guilty about the pain caused to Ausaphaborishan so that I could wear it!”

Ischarus looked nervously into the mirror once more before turning so that Semeion could slip the strap over his shoulder. In spite of Semeion’s conversation, his face revealed that his mind was on other matters. “You are sure that this is a smart idea, Semeion? I mean, we’ve known each other for the better part of a year and to be honest there’s no man in this land that I trust with my own life more than you. But are you absolutely sure that this is the right thing to do?”

Semeion smiled softly towards Ischarus. He was unaccustomed to this emotional side of the man who usually stepped forward with confidence against the duties of any given day. As he tried to understand Ischarus’ thoughts, Semeion spoke. “So, basically what you are telling me is that you can be confident drawing your sword and squaring off against someone who wants you dead. But when it comes to spending the rest of your life with a woman who’s shown she wants nothing more than to be at your side every day that you are going to be alive you get nervous?”

Ischarus frowned into the mirror. “I know that it doesn’t make sense, Semeion.” Ischarus held out his hands in an empty gesture. “But I can’t help it. Sword fighting comes natural to me. Swinging that piece of steel around so that I am protecting the ones I love is easy. I can put my life in the path of danger time and time again without thinking about it. But this is different. This is life changing. This is something you don’t walk away from. Even if you want to compare our trips to Quehalost to this, it is different. We go in, we do our thing, and we walk away! There’s no walking away from this!”

Semeion shook his head as he chuckled at Ischarus’ oversimplification of their journeys into Quehalost. “It isn’t like we just walk away, Ischarus. One day we might not be so lucky. The land of Quehalost wants us dead every time we go in there. We might not always walk away. But you know that Rhema will always want you there. There won’t be any need to walk away from this in the first place!”

Ischarus looked back in the mirror. “I know. I know that you’re right. She’s a good woman. So is Charis, by the way. I guess it’s just different. I mean, what if we have kids? Or what if things don’t always go well between us? What happens if one of us should happen to not come back alive from Quehalost one of these trips?”

Semeion thumped his knuckles hard against the dragon scale that Ischarus wore to protect his back. “Hello? Is anyone even willing to think in here? I think you are over analyzing the situation, don’t you? Kids can be a blessing. Every married couple has their share of fights. And, I doubt marriage will mean that you’ll miss each other any more or less if one of you should happen to die in or out of Quehalost.”

Ischarus sighed deeply and turned to look Semeion in the face. He looked deep into Semeion’s eyes and smiled. “So, as the man who is going to stand beside me and vouch for my sanity, you are sure that this is a sane thing to do?”

Semeion laughed out loud and reached an arm around Ischarus. “Yes. This is one of the sanest things you could do for your life. Tomorrow you’ll wake up and life will begin anew. Trust me on this one, okay? Besides, couldn’t I ask you the same question?

Ischarus nodded and turned one more time to look in the mirror. This time he smiled. “I guess I don’t look too shabby after all.” Ischarus turned and took several steps to the door.

Semeion coughed and spoke quickly before Ischarus could reach the door. “Uh, Ischarus? Don’t forget your sword. You wouldn’t want to go out there unprepared, after all.” Semeion grinned broadly at the multi-layered nuances of his comment. The young mage reached out for Ischarus’ sword and scabbard and held it out for Ischarus to take.

As Ischarus took the sword and scabbard from Semeion he smiled and spoke in a highly sarcastic tone. “Nice.” He securely strapped the belt that held his scabbard in place around his waist. He reached over and lifted Semeion’s scabbard up off of the shelf upon which it rested. “And your rapier, sir. I shall not have you unprepared should I be in need of a second!”

The men exchanged a healthy laugh and then gave each other a once over. Satisfied, they turned to the door that would lead them out of their chamber. From there it would be a simple walk down the hall and then out into Ausaphaborishan’s valley. Ischarus felt that it was good to be home in Barghost. He felt welcome among his people, and he was pleased to bring his friends among them. It would be a good day.

[Sblock=Color-Free Speech Section]
Chapter One: THE CHANGING STATE OF CONJUGALITY

It was almost summertime once more in the lands of Enigmatica. Ischarus knew that it would be time to begin another sequence of journeys into Quehalost as he turned and looked at himself in the mirror. “Yep, I’ve gained a few pounds over the winter and spring again. There’s nothing like a good trip into Quehalost to trim you up, though!” Ischarus laughed as his eyes took in the sight.

He looked different than normal on this particular day. He wore a new leather jacket and new pants but this was certainly not what made him oddly dressed. The fact that the pants were fresh from being pressed helped make his appearance a bit on the odd side for him. Underneath his new leather jacket he had taken the time to button his shirt completely to the top. This also helped give him an appearance that was different than normal. Ischarus even wore a new pair of thin leather riding gloves upon his hands. But even above all the new clothing, what struck Ischarus as odd about himself was the fact that he was staring into a mirror and seeing trimmed and combed hair on the top of his head.

As Semeion stood beside him in matching clothing, he also noticed that Ischarus looked odd today. Semeion’s eyes were not focused on the clothing or the hairstyle that Ischarus wore, however. Rather, Semeion’s eyes focused on two large shields that rested at their feet. The shields were not for actual use since they had no handles with which to hold them. Rather, these shields had a single leather strap fastened to the top left and bottom right sides of the shield. These shields were designed to sling over one’s shoulders so that the shield rested properly along one’s back.

Semeion spoke as he lifted one of the shields up and slipped the strap over his shoulder. His words demonstrated that he was going to ignore Ischarus’ earlier comment about heading into Quehalost soon. “It was awful nice of Ausaphaborishan to donate two of his scales for the day, even if the scales do kind of remind me of something to make me look a bit like a turtle.” He smiled as he admired his back in his own mirror.

Ischarus replied with a nod. “Indeed, you do look a bit like a turtle!” Ischarus laughed teasingly as he admired the way that the lightly colored dragon scale accented the leather coat. “I’ll need to remember to complement Charis and Rhema on their ability to match the colors of the leather with that of my dragon father’s scales. They did an excellent job in designing these clothes for the day.”

Semeion smiled and nodded. The young mage put his own pair of thin riding gloves on and lifted Ischarus’ shield up from the floor. “Care to see what yours looks like upon your back, sir? The time is drawing near, you know.”

As Ischarus looked at the shield in Semeion’s hands he couldn’t help but smile in pride. The use of a dragon’s scales from the dragon father was a custom in all proper services involving servants of the virtuous dragons. The scales helped identify the dragon to which each of the servants belongs.

Semeion also looked at the shield. “I hope the donation of the scales was not a painful process.”

Ischarus smiled and replied. “While it is good of you to be concerned, the process is relatively pain free. In the same manner as snakes shed their outer scales, dragons also loose their scales from time to time. Some of the dragons lose their scales annually while others loose them less frequently. In any case, new scales are almost constantly growing up from the underside of the current scales. When they are hard enough and large enough, the old scales are simply sloughed off. In most communities of Drakontai, the scales are kept and honored among the people for times like these.”

Semeion smiled and hoisted Ischarus’ shield even higher. “Good to know! Now I don’t need to feel guilty about the pain caused to Ausaphaborishan so that I could wear it!”

Ischarus looked nervously into the mirror once more before turning so that Semeion could slip the strap over his shoulder. In spite of Semeion’s conversation, his face revealed that his mind was on other matters. “You are sure that this is a smart idea, Semeion? I mean, we’ve known each other for the better part of a year and to be honest there’s no man in this land that I trust with my own life more than you. But are you absolutely sure that this is the right thing to do?”

Semeion smiled softly towards Ischarus. He was unaccustomed to this emotional side of the man who usually stepped forward with confidence against the duties of any given day. As he tried to understand Ischarus’ thoughts, Semeion spoke. “So, basically what you are telling me is that you can be confident drawing your sword and squaring off against someone who wants you dead. But when it comes to spending the rest of your life with a woman who’s shown she wants nothing more than to be at your side every day that you are going to be alive you get nervous?”

Ischarus frowned into the mirror. “I know that it doesn’t make sense, Semeion.” Ischarus held out his hands in an empty gesture. “But I can’t help it. Sword fighting comes natural to me. Swinging that piece of steel around so that I am protecting the ones I love is easy. I can put my life in the path of danger time and time again without thinking about it. But this is different. This is life changing. This is something you don’t walk away from. Even if you want to compare our trips to Quehalost to this, it is different. We go in, we do our thing, and we walk away! There’s no walking away from this!”

Semeion shook his head as he chuckled at Ischarus’ oversimplification of their journeys into Quehalost. “It isn’t like we just walk away, Ischarus. One day we might not be so lucky. The land of Quehalost wants us dead every time we go in there. We might not always walk away. But you know that Rhema will always want you there. There won’t be any need to walk away from this in the first place!”

Ischarus looked back in the mirror. “I know. I know that you’re right. She’s a good woman. So is Charis, by the way. I guess it’s just different. I mean, what if we have kids? Or what if things don’t always go well between us? What happens if one of us should happen to not come back alive from Quehalost one of these trips?”

Semeion thumped his knuckles hard against the dragon scale that Ischarus wore to protect his back. “Hello? Is anyone even willing to think in here? I think you are over analyzing the situation, don’t you? Kids can be a blessing. Every married couple has their share of fights. And, I doubt marriage will mean that you’ll miss each other any more or less if one of you should happen to die in or out of Quehalost.”

Ischarus sighed deeply and turned to look Semeion in the face. He looked deep into Semeion’s eyes and smiled. “So, as the man who is going to stand beside me and vouch for my sanity, you are sure that this is a sane thing to do?”

Semeion laughed out loud and reached an arm around Ischarus. “Yes. This is one of the sanest things you could do for your life. Tomorrow you’ll wake up and life will begin anew. Trust me on this one, okay? Besides, couldn’t I ask you the same question?

Ischarus nodded and turned one more time to look in the mirror. This time he smiled. “I guess I don’t look too shabby after all.” Ischarus turned and took several steps to the door.

Semeion coughed and spoke quickly before Ischarus could reach the door. “Uh, Ischarus? Don’t forget your sword. You wouldn’t want to go out there unprepared, after all.” Semeion grinned broadly at the multi-layered nuances of his comment. The young mage reached out for Ischarus’ sword and scabbard and held it out for Ischarus to take.

As Ischarus took the sword and scabbard from Semeion he smiled and spoke in a highly sarcastic tone. “Nice.” He securely strapped the belt that held his scabbard in place around his waist. He reached over and lifted Semeion’s scabbard up off of the shelf upon which it rested. “And your rapier, sir. I shall not have you unprepared should I be in need of a second!”

The men exchanged a healthy laugh and then gave each other a once over. Satisfied, they turned to the door that would lead them out of their chamber. From there it would be a simple walk down the hall and then out into Ausaphaborishan’s valley. Ischarus felt that it was good to be home in Barghost. He felt welcome among his people, and he was pleased to bring his friends among them. It would be a good day.
[/Sblock]

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Not An Update ... Reply to Reader

Thanks, Mahtave!

I'm glad that you (and any of the other readers) transitioned over to this new story. I'm hoping that this story will be a bit less straightforward as the last story. There is nothing wrong with "party goes in, kicks butt, wins in the end." In fact, as a Story Hour designed to introduce the characters I think it works out best that way so that the personalities of the characters become familiar and dependable (like a soft blanket or a pair of good shoes). But with this Story Hour I hope to introduce a few different elements. I hope that every once a while after reading a post my readers sit back and say, "Huh, that I didn't expect." Not always, of course. But more often than in Bitterness Overcome. That will mean that if I can accomplish it successfully the characters will still be dependable but the plot elements might hit them as unexpected as much as it hits the reader. We'll see!

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Across Ausaphaborishan’s valley there was another gathering of quite a different flavor. This room was not quiet like the room containing only Ischarus and Semeion. Two women sat on tall stools while nearly a dozen other women danced around the room moving from the central women to various bags and counters along the walls. The women who were moving among one another and approaching the two central women all looked as though they belonged to the same family. They shared the same hint of flecks as Ischarus that looked of liquid mercury within their eyes. They all shared the same faint silver highlight to their dark hair as Ischarus did. Their actual face shapes were different, but their similar draconic lineage was easily observed.

The two central women were dressed identically to one another and neither of them seemed to particularly mind the primping and other attention that they were receiving. Neither of the women shared the draconic heritage with hints of mercury and silver, although the woman on the left had her own heritage markings of red. Each of these women were in various states of having their hair braided, their nails trimmed and polished, their faces powdered with make-up, and their bodies fitted with various types of undergarments. In many respects they appeared as though they were mannequins in a state of half-preparedness. Each of the women held their hands away from their bodies and kept their fingers spread wide while the white dye dried upon their nails.

Charis spoke first as she looked down upon the nails of her left hand. “If you would have told me that I would be doing this a year ago I would have kicked and screamed the whole way! In fact, if you would have told me a year ago that I was going to happily find a new dragon father and I’d have not believed it. I’d have not even wanted it! I was too busy trying to make life endurable for my people that I’d have completely passed on this opportunity if given the chance.”

Rhema turned her head to look at Charis’ nails as they dried. She shifted her own right hand over so that it was beside the fingers of Charis’ left hand. Once she saw how similar the dye made the nails appear, Rhema spoke. “Yet, here you are. And you did come kicking and screaming. But look at all that you have given to your people. They have a new dragon father and have grown tremendously upon arriving here in Barghost. Your people have begun to overcome their fears. They’ve begun to be able to take responsibility without the fear of enslavement. They’ve become productive and educated, Charis. All of this is true because you came kicking and screaming from Quehalost just a bit less than a year ago.”

Charis smiled at Rhema’s thought. She tilted her head back and looked up to where the wall met the ceiling. “And now Ausaphaborishan’s people gather to honor us. They gather to give to us what hospitality they can. I’m not sure there could be a better way to do this, Rhema. I’m glad you and Ischarus were able to work out the details to make this happen here at Ausaphaborishan’s valley.”

The women who were dancing around Charis and Rhema smiled at each other as they worked fervently. The eldest of the women approached Charis and Rhema and looked closely at how quickly the dye was absorbing into the nails and drying. She smiled as though she was satisfied with the result and quickly turned around. She lifted both of her hands up into the air and clapped quickly.

As the two quick beats of clapping snapped through the room all of the women stopped and turned. Charis and Rhema even gave this woman their full attention. Every woman in the room had a hopeful smile upon their face as the eldest woman spoke. “The dye is dry, ladies. The time has come to finish this production. We’ll begin with the dresses and apply the gloves. Then we’ll finish the facial coloring. Once the faces have been appropriately colored we’ll finish the braiding and then secure the proper headdresses. We’ve less than an hour, people. Let’s not take too long; and we’ll have no mistakes on my shift!”

The women who were in the role of service did not bother to respond. Instead, each of the women gathered up their long skirts so that they lifted another inch off of the floor. If they were to hurry, the shortened skirts would keep them from tripping. Six of the women moved to the wall directly behind Charis and Rhema. Two women each approached a pair of full length cabinets and opened the strong oak doors on each cabinet. The cabinets were not deep, but they were deep enough to allow a single dress to be hung within its walls. Another pair of women reached into each cabinet and lifted the dresses from where they had been hung. The remaining women gathered up the fabric to prevent it from sliding across the floor.

The dresses were terrifically ornate. Rhema and Charis each gasped when they saw the dresses for the first time. Each dress had been made to precisely fit each of the two women. Yet what made the dresses truly remarkable was the shimmering of the dress when it caught the light. It was clear that several of Ausaphaborishan’s scales had been used and cut into pieces roughly the size of a thumb-print. Each of these smaller pieces had been delicately woven into the fabric of the dress so that the dress appeared to have scales in the same pattern as Ausaphaborishan himself. When the dresses did not catch the light they looked as though they were made of liquid mercury. When the dresses caught the light they glinted as though they were fashioned from milky white pearls and shimmered with light blue and green sparkles.

The six women split up into two groups of three and helped Charis and Rhema into their dresses. The dresses opened from the backside and thus each of the eye hooks had to be secured from shoulder to the floor. Considering that there was an eyehook at least every inch, there was plenty of reason to need three women apiece for each dress. In each team, one woman was in charge of ensuring that the dress hung sharply from the shoulders while the other two women made sure that the eyehooks were fastened appropriately. In a matter of minutes Charis and Rhema were beautifully adorned in the dresses. The dresses were so perfectly fitted that they appeared to give the impression that the scales actually belonged to the respective body of each of the women.

A pair of women brought the gloves over to Charis and Rhema. The gloves were equally as impressively designed as the dresses. Similar cut draconic scales had been woven into the fabric of the glove covering the back of the hand and the backs of the fingers. The ends of each of the fingers had a small slit intentionally cut into the gloves. As Charis and Rhema placed their fingers into the gloves they realized that as their white dyed nails slipped through the slits in the end of the gloves their nails appeared to be claws. The scaled backs of the glove completed the draconic appearance of the hand.

As ornate as the outside of the glove was, the underside of each glove was made of a thin fabric that would allow Charis and Rhema the ability to feel with the tips of their fingers and their palms. Each of the women smiled with an odd look of pleasure as they opened and closed their hands and felt the draconic scales adjust across the back of their hands and fingers. The sensation was unusual but quite pleasurable.

The elderly woman approached once Charis and Rhema were completely dressed. She addressed the two women and snapped them out of their admiration of the gloves. “If you will please stand still, our artists will finish painting your faces. I’ll ask that you close your eyes for this stage. We wouldn’t want any paint to find its way into your eye and cause you to tear. If you cry now, you run the risk of destroying the paint.”

Charis wrinkled her eyebrow. “You mean we can’t cry until we’re done with the day?”

For the first time all day, the elderly woman gave a hint of smile upon her face. The other women in the room snickered behind Charis and Rhema. The elderly woman gave an honest and amused answer. “No. The paint will dry hard and fast in about ten minutes. If you can keep from crying until then you will be fine. Once the pain is dried, there is little besides scraping it off that will remove it, trust me.”

Two other women approached Charis and Rhema. These were the women who had put the base coat of paint upon Charis and Rhema much earlier in the day. Charis and Rhema each closed their eyes while the face painters worked their magic. When the women were done they had given shadow and life to the base coat applied earlier. Each of the women had been painted as if to appear to have scales across their foreheads, down their cheeks, across their nose, and under their chin.

The elderly woman spoke to the gathering in the room once more. “We’re almost done, ladies. You may open your eyes. Braiding matrons, work your magic!”

Two more women stepped forward with an assistant each. Earlier in the day both Charis and Rhema had their hair treated, lightly dyed, and a braid had begun to be woven through their hair. Now the braiding matrons continued their work and finished the task. The hair dye had set and this allowed the braids to be turned and twisted to give the impression of greater contour within the hair. In only a matter of minutes the matrons and their assistants stepped back. The smiles upon their faces displayed that they were content with their work.

The final two women in the room stepped forward and began to work the headdresses within the finished braids. By this time, Rhema and Charis had been expecting a sort of veil made from dragon scales. However, these women approached with flowers on small stems to be inserted into the braided hair. When the headdresses were completed, both Rhema’s and Charis’ head was filled with small buds and blooms from the flowers naturally growing in Ausaphaborishan’s valley. The colors had been chosen to match the glimmering of the dresses perfectly.

Now that the women were properly prepared for the service to come, the eldest woman brought forth two mirrors. These were the only mirrors in the room, so this would be the first time that Charis and Rhema were to see themselves as a finished beauty. The elderly woman softly touched each of Rhema’s and Charis’ face and smiled. As she handed them each a mirror the elderly woman spoke. “Your face painting has dried. You are free to laugh, smile, or even cry.”

Charis couldn’t help but smile at the comment about crying. Several of the women who had been pampering them throughout the day also chuckled from behind. As she looked at herself in the mirror she gasped in shock. Charis quickly turned to Rhema and then looked back into the mirror. “We’ve been painted differently!”

Rhema smiled. “Yes, it is my surprise for you on this day. I have been painted to match the coloration of the people and Ischarus’ dragon father. Your painting is a special blend that has never been done before. Your face reflects all three of the dragon father’s who have impacted your life. The majority of your color matches that which has been done to me in honor of Ausaphaborishan. But you have been given accents of Llywessiar’s color and even the color of your original heritage. You need not ever deny who you are and where you came from, Charis. You are accepted by these Drakontai and by Llywessiar’s Drakontai as you are. It is our gift to you.”

It was a god thing that the paint had been given time to dry. As Charis took in Rhema’s words and looked into the mirror at the masterpiece that had been drawn upon her face, she couldn’t help but cry. This day would be a beautiful day. She knew that the time was almost upon them. Rhema smiled upon Charis knowing that her surprise was worth the wait.

Across Ausaphaborishan’s valley there was another gathering of quite a different flavor. This room was not quiet like the room containing only Ischarus and Semeion. Two women sat on tall stools while nearly a dozen other women danced around the room moving from the central women to various bags and counters along the walls. The women who were moving among one another and approaching the two central women all looked as though they belonged to the same family. They shared the same hint of flecks as Ischarus that looked of liquid mercury within their eyes. They all shared the same faint silver highlight to their dark hair as Ischarus did. Their actual face shapes were different, but their similar draconic lineage was easily observed.

The two central women were dressed identically to one another and neither of them seemed to particularly mind the primping and other attention that they were receiving. Neither of the women shared the draconic heritage with hints of mercury and silver, although the woman on the left had her own heritage markings of red. Each of these women were in various states of having their hair braided, their nails trimmed and polished, their faces powdered with make-up, and their bodies fitted with various types of undergarments. In many respects they appeared as though they were mannequins in a state of half-preparedness. Each of the women held their hands away from their bodies and kept their fingers spread wide while the white dye dried upon their nails.

Charis spoke first as she looked down upon the nails of her left hand. “If you would have told me that I would be doing this a year ago I would have kicked and screamed the whole way! In fact, if you would have told me a year ago that I was going to happily find a new dragon father and I’d have not believed it. I’d have not even wanted it! I was too busy trying to make life endurable for my people that I’d have completely passed on this opportunity if given the chance.”

Rhema turned her head to look at Charis’ nails as they dried. She shifted her own right hand over so that it was beside the fingers of Charis’ left hand. Once she saw how similar the dye made the nails appear, Rhema spoke. “Yet, here you are. And you did come kicking and screaming. But look at all that you have given to your people. They have a new dragon father and have grown tremendously upon arriving here in Barghost. Your people have begun to overcome their fears. They’ve begun to be able to take responsibility without the fear of enslavement. They’ve become productive and educated, Charis. All of this is true because you came kicking and screaming from Quehalost just a bit less than a year ago.”

Charis smiled at Rhema’s thought. She tilted her head back and looked up to where the wall met the ceiling. “And now Ausaphaborishan’s people gather to honor us. They gather to give to us what hospitality they can. I’m not sure there could be a better way to do this, Rhema. I’m glad you and Ischarus were able to work out the details to make this happen here at Ausaphaborishan’s valley.”

The women who were dancing around Charis and Rhema smiled at each other as they worked fervently. The eldest of the women approached Charis and Rhema and looked closely at how quickly the dye was absorbing into the nails and drying. She smiled as though she was satisfied with the result and quickly turned around. She lifted both of her hands up into the air and clapped quickly.

As the two quick beats of clapping snapped through the room all of the women stopped and turned. Charis and Rhema even gave this woman their full attention. Every woman in the room had a hopeful smile upon their face as the eldest woman spoke. “The dye is dry, ladies. The time has come to finish this production. We’ll begin with the dresses and apply the gloves. Then we’ll finish the facial coloring. Once the faces have been appropriately colored we’ll finish the braiding and then secure the proper headdresses. We’ve less than an hour, people. Let’s not take too long; and we’ll have no mistakes on my shift!”

The women who were in the role of service did not bother to respond. Instead, each of the women gathered up their long skirts so that they lifted another inch off of the floor. If they were to hurry, the shortened skirts would keep them from tripping. Six of the women moved to the wall directly behind Charis and Rhema. Two women each approached a pair of full length cabinets and opened the strong oak doors on each cabinet. The cabinets were not deep, but they were deep enough to allow a single dress to be hung within its walls. Another pair of women reached into each cabinet and lifted the dresses from where they had been hung. The remaining women gathered up the fabric to prevent it from sliding across the floor.

The dresses were terrifically ornate. Rhema and Charis each gasped when they saw the dresses for the first time. Each dress had been made to precisely fit each of the two women. Yet what made the dresses truly remarkable was the shimmering of the dress when it caught the light. It was clear that several of Ausaphaborishan’s scales had been used and cut into pieces roughly the size of a thumb-print. Each of these smaller pieces had been delicately woven into the fabric of the dress so that the dress appeared to have scales in the same pattern as Ausaphaborishan himself. When the dresses did not catch the light they looked as though they were made of liquid mercury. When the dresses caught the light they glinted as though they were fashioned from milky white pearls and shimmered with light blue and green sparkles.

The six women split up into two groups of three and helped Charis and Rhema into their dresses. The dresses opened from the backside and thus each of the eye hooks had to be secured from shoulder to the floor. Considering that there was an eyehook at least every inch, there was plenty of reason to need three women apiece for each dress. In each team, one woman was in charge of ensuring that the dress hung sharply from the shoulders while the other two women made sure that the eyehooks were fastened appropriately. In a matter of minutes Charis and Rhema were beautifully adorned in the dresses. The dresses were so perfectly fitted that they appeared to give the impression that the scales actually belonged to the respective body of each of the women.

A pair of women brought the gloves over to Charis and Rhema. The gloves were equally as impressively designed as the dresses. Similar cut draconic scales had been woven into the fabric of the glove covering the back of the hand and the backs of the fingers. The ends of each of the fingers had a small slit intentionally cut into the gloves. As Charis and Rhema placed their fingers into the gloves they realized that as their white dyed nails slipped through the slits in the end of the gloves their nails appeared to be claws. The scaled backs of the glove completed the draconic appearance of the hand.

As ornate as the outside of the glove was, the underside of each glove was made of a thin fabric that would allow Charis and Rhema the ability to feel with the tips of their fingers and their palms. Each of the women smiled with an odd look of pleasure as they opened and closed their hands and felt the draconic scales adjust across the back of their hands and fingers. The sensation was unusual but quite pleasurable.

The elderly woman approached once Charis and Rhema were completely dressed. She addressed the two women and snapped them out of their admiration of the gloves. “If you will please stand still, our artists will finish painting your faces. I’ll ask that you close your eyes for this stage. We wouldn’t want any paint to find its way into your eye and cause you to tear. If you cry now, you run the risk of destroying the paint.”

Charis wrinkled her eyebrow. “You mean we can’t cry until we’re done with the day?”

For the first time all day, the elderly woman gave a hint of smile upon her face. The other women in the room snickered behind Charis and Rhema. The elderly woman gave an honest and amused answer. “No. The paint will dry hard and fast in about ten minutes. If you can keep from crying until then you will be fine. Once the pain is dried, there is little besides scraping it off that will remove it, trust me.”

Two other women approached Charis and Rhema. These were the women who had put the base coat of paint upon Charis and Rhema much earlier in the day. Charis and Rhema each closed their eyes while the face painters worked their magic. When the women were done they had given shadow and life to the base coat applied earlier. Each of the women had been painted as if to appear to have scales across their foreheads, down their cheeks, across their nose, and under their chin.

The elderly woman spoke to the gathering in the room once more. “We’re almost done, ladies. You may open your eyes. Braiding matrons, work your magic!”

Two more women stepped forward with an assistant each. Earlier in the day both Charis and Rhema had their hair treated, lightly dyed, and a braid had begun to be woven through their hair. Now the braiding matrons continued their work and finished the task. The hair dye had set and this allowed the braids to be turned and twisted to give the impression of greater contour within the hair. In only a matter of minutes the matrons and their assistants stepped back. The smiles upon their faces displayed that they were content with their work.

The final two women in the room stepped forward and began to work the headdresses within the finished braids. By this time, Rhema and Charis had been expecting a sort of veil made from dragon scales. However, these women approached with flowers on small stems to be inserted into the braided hair. When the headdresses were completed, both Rhema’s and Charis’ head was filled with small buds and blooms from the flowers naturally growing in Ausaphaborishan’s valley. The colors had been chosen to match the glimmering of the dresses perfectly.

Now that the women were properly prepared for the service to come, the eldest woman brought forth two mirrors. These were the only mirrors in the room, so this would be the first time that Charis and Rhema were to see themselves as a finished beauty. The elderly woman softly touched each of Rhema’s and Charis’ face and smiled. As she handed them each a mirror the elderly woman spoke. “Your face painting has dried. You are free to laugh, smile, or even cry.”

Charis couldn’t help but smile at the comment about crying. Several of the women who had been pampering them throughout the day also chuckled from behind. As she looked at herself in the mirror she gasped in shock. Charis quickly turned to Rhema and then looked back into the mirror. “We’ve been painted differently!”

Rhema smiled. “Yes, it is my surprise for you on this day. I have been painted to match the coloration of the people and Ischarus’ dragon father. Your painting is a special blend that has never been done before. Your face reflects all three of the dragon father’s who have impacted your life. The majority of your color matches that which has been done to me in honor of Ausaphaborishan. But you have been given accents of Llywessiar’s color and even the color of your original heritage. You need not ever deny who you are and where you came from, Charis. You are accepted by these Drakontai and by Llywessiar’s Drakontai as you are. It is our gift to you.”

It was a god thing that the paint had been given time to dry. As Charis took in Rhema’s words and looked into the mirror at the masterpiece that had been drawn upon her face, she couldn’t help but cry. This day would be a beautiful day. She knew that the time was almost upon them. Rhema smiled upon Charis knowing that her surprise was worth the wait.
[/Sblock]

Nonlethal Force

First Post
As Charis and Rhema approached the northern most edge of the valley from the south, a strange hiss echoed across the valley. The sound was remarkably reminiscent to that of a hissing crocodile, except that the sound was considerably louder. The sound was loud enough to echo back and forth across the stone faces of the surrounding peaks. No sooner had the sound begun than a second hissing sound joined with the first. The two hisses were clearly separate sounds from separate sources; but they were distinctly related.

Rhema looked slightly confused as she glanced toward Charis at the sudden appearance of the sound. “That sounds rather ominous. Is this part of the celebration?”

Charis returned the confused glance with one of her one. Her lips pursed tightly as she thought for a moment before speaking. “I know that sound. I have heard that sound once a year every year of my life that I can remember. It is the mating hiss of a dragon.”

Rhema stopped her walk as she absorbed Charis’ words and replied. “But, then why are there two distinct calls?” A slight look of concern passed over Rhema’s face as she assumed the worst. “What are the odds that a mate for Ausaphoborishan would come on this day?”

Charis smiled broadly as her mind raced to an opposite conclusion. She laughed at Rhema’s conclusion and walked toward the north end of the valley as quickly as her elaborate dress would allow. Her attendants struggled to keep pace with her while ensuring that the dress kept completely off of the ground. “Your lack of dragon knowledge betrays you, Rhema. Those aren’t the hissing calls of a mating pair of dragons. Those are both male mating calls. I’ve heard the same type of calls from my original dragon father back in Quehalost.”

Rhema called out as she tried to catch up to Charis’ quick approach toward the north. “But, why two males? Certainly two males wouldn’t be trying to call the same mate!”

The women turned the final corner which had been preventing them from observing the north face of the valley. Charis’ jaw opened wide in surprise as she stopped and stared at the sight before her. Instead of seeing Ausaphaborishan standing at the head of the valley as she expected, both women looked on as two large wyrms were present. Both Ausaphaborishan and Llywessiar flanked the north face of the valley. Each of the male dragons emitted the loud mating hiss that could be heard across the valley.

Charis couldn’t believe her eyes. “But, how is this possible? The new dragon father of my people left his valley to come here?” Her mind struggled to put an explanation together.

Rhema’s gaze dropped from Llywessiar’s head down to the feet of each of the dragons. Standing around the great wyrms was an odd mix of people. The people stood expectantly and turned around as both Llywessiar’s and Ausaphaborishan’s hiss announced the arrival of the two women.

As Rhema and Charis looked upon the dragons, Ausaphaborishan stood to the right. Ausaphaborishan’s Drakontai stood around him in a quarter circle extending from the right of their dragon father to a place exactly between the women and the great wyrm. Each of the people within this quarter circle carried the heritage highlights and eye flecks of their dragon father.

Llywessiar was the left dragon as Rhema and Charis looked on. Another group of Drakontai stood awaiting the women in the shape of a quarter circle that was the mirror image of the circle made up by the Drakontai of Ausaphaborishan. This circle extended from the left of Llywessiar to the place where Auasphaborishan’s people stood. The Drakontai standing around Llywessiar were mixed between Llywessair’s natural clan and Charis’ people from the land of Quehalost.

Essentially this meant that at this moment Ausaphaborishan’s valley contained the equivalent of three Drakontai clans. Each of the clans had risen from being seated upon the ground and were focused completely upon the women as they approached. Rhema reached up and lightly touched the side of Charis’ face. “Look down, Charis. Take your eyes off of the dragons and look to the ground.”

Charis’ eyes dropped to the ground beneath the great dragons. Her eyes grew wide in surprise as she observed all of the people. “The people, too? My people have come?” Once more tears began to form at the corners of her eyes.

Rhema smiled and clasped Charis left hand with her right. “Did you expect Llywessiar to miss the opportunity to give one of his daughters away in marriage?”

Charis couldn’t help but allow a radiant smile beam from her face as tears openly flowed down her cheeks. “Well, I didn’t really expect him to devote the resources to bringing himself and his tribe to this occasion, either! After all, I’m not naturally his daughter.”

Rhema spotted three men standing in between the two massive wyrms. She easily recognized Ischarus and Semeion. Semeion stood below and slightly to the right of Llywessiar while Ischarus stood below and slightly to the left of Ausaphaborishan. She could tell by the expressions on the face of each of these men that they were in awe of the way that Rhema and Charis had been prepared for the service. They had not been ready for the beauty and the effects that the draconic themed dresses would have upon them.

The man who was standing in the center between Ischarus and Semeion gave Rhema a bit more of a difficulty in identification. Suddenly the man looked up toward Llywessiar and she caught sight of his own draconic markings. It was Brandt who stood between Ischarus and Semeion.

Charis spoke about the same time as Rhema made the identification of Brandt. “I suppose we should be heading towards that gathering, Rhema. They’ll be a bit disappointed if we turn around now.”

Rhema smiled and nodded. She stepped first with her right foot and Charis joined her. Together the two women walked stride for stride towards the people. When they had reached the place where the two quarter circles of Drakontai came together, the people parted and allowed them to pass through and into the circle. The women who had been serving both Rhema and Charis in the room of preparation filed into the ranks of the Drakontai who stood around Ausaphaborishan.

As the two women approached the inner heart of the circle, the wyrms increased the level of their hissing. Brandt leaned forward and spoke loudly into Ischarus’ and Semeion’s ear. “The hissing is a ceremonial act. It is said that no evil spirit can stand to be in the presence of a hiss from a virtuous dragon. Of course, this is only a legend. But you know superstition and tradition!”

Semeion smiled. Given the line of work that these four adventurers engaged themselves in, he would take all the superstitious wards that he could get his hands on. If enduring the loud hiss of a dragon would give them any luck at all - even if it was only imagined luck – he would take it. In a world where magical charms and telepathic powers had as much reality as the sword at Ischarus’ side there could be no telling how the hiss of a virtuous dragon would affect their lives.

Ischarus fidgeted nervously with his clothing as he watched the women come forward. His fingers adjusted the angle at which his sword and scabbard hung from his belt. Once they had adjusted the sword they slightly adjusted the positioning of the strap holding the dragon scale across his back.

Semeion reached over and lightly placed his hand upon Ischarus’ shoulder. “You don’t need to worry, Ischarus. I’ll be here for you the whole way. Charis will be here for you the whole way. And probably most importantly, Rhema is going to be here for you the whole way. Relax and enjoy the moment.”

Ischarus brought his fingers in on his palms. He could feel the dampness from the sweat soaking into the underside of the glove. “Relax. Those are easy words for you to say.” A smile passed over his face as he mentally tried to focus on the approaching women and not fidgeting.

When the half circle of Drakontai broke to allow the women through, Brandt watched from behind as both Ischarus and Semeion drew in a substantial breath. Their shoulders rose in unison, although Ischarus held his breath considerably longer. When it looked as though Ischarus had forgotten to exhale, Brandt leaned forward slightly to whisper into their ears once again. A devilish grin crossed his lips and a mischievous twinkle appeared in his eyes. “One word and we can all be out of here, you know. We could leave, just the three of us. This is your last chance.”

The comment caught Ischarus completely by surprise. He coughed, expelling a fair amount of the air that he had been holding within his lungs. Brandt’s words had the desired effect, and he straightened himself back to his full height. The grin remained on his face.

Semeion chuckled a bit and turned his head ever so slightly. “Don’t tempt him, Brandt. And if you did use your magic to take us to Tongra again, you know you’d have two angry women hunting you down.”

Ischarus smiled at the thought as the women drew even closer to them. Brandt spoke so softly that his lips didn’t even need to move. “Well, perhaps not, then. I wouldn’t want their fury after me.”

The women approached the men until they were within an arm’s reach. Semeion reached out and took both of Charis’ hands in his. Ischarus also reached out and took both of Rhema’s hands in his own. The gathered community of Drakontai cheered and clapped as the couples finally came together.

Brandt leaned forward. He noticed that the responsibility of the coming service had finally set in on each of them. All four of the faces before them had gone a touch on the pale side. Of course, Brandt knew that this was quite natural. He spoke softly enough so that only the two couples before him could hear. “Are you all ready to begin another adventure?”

As Charis and Rhema approached the northern most edge of the valley from the south, a strange hiss echoed across the valley. The sound was remarkably reminiscent to that of a hissing crocodile, except that the sound was considerably louder. The sound was loud enough to echo back and forth across the stone faces of the surrounding peaks. No sooner had the sound begun than a second hissing sound joined with the first. The two hisses were clearly separate sounds from separate sources; but they were distinctly related.

Rhema looked slightly confused as she glanced toward Charis at the sudden appearance of the sound. “That sounds rather ominous. Is this part of the celebration?”

Charis returned the confused glance with one of her one. Her lips pursed tightly as she thought for a moment before speaking. “I know that sound. I have heard that sound once a year every year of my life that I can remember. It is the mating hiss of a dragon.”

Rhema stopped her walk as she absorbed Charis’ words and replied. “But, then why are there two distinct calls?” A slight look of concern passed over Rhema’s face as she assumed the worst. “What are the odds that a mate for Ausaphoborishan would come on this day?”

Charis smiled broadly as her mind raced to an opposite conclusion. She laughed at Rhema’s conclusion and walked toward the north end of the valley as quickly as her elaborate dress would allow. Her attendants struggled to keep pace with her while ensuring that the dress kept completely off of the ground. “Your lack of dragon knowledge betrays you, Rhema. Those aren’t the hissing calls of a mating pair of dragons. Those are both male mating calls. I’ve heard the same type of calls from my original dragon father back in Quehalost.”

Rhema called out as she tried to catch up to Charis’ quick approach toward the north. “But, why two males? Certainly two males wouldn’t be trying to call the same mate!”

The women turned the final corner which had been preventing them from observing the north face of the valley. Charis’ jaw opened wide in surprise as she stopped and stared at the sight before her. Instead of seeing Ausaphaborishan standing at the head of the valley as she expected, both women looked on as two large wyrms were present. Both Ausaphaborishan and Llywessiar flanked the north face of the valley. Each of the male dragons emitted the loud mating hiss that could be heard across the valley.

Charis couldn’t believe her eyes. “But, how is this possible? The new dragon father of my people left his valley to come here?” Her mind struggled to put an explanation together.

Rhema’s gaze dropped from Llywessiar’s head down to the feet of each of the dragons. Standing around the great wyrms was an odd mix of people. The people stood expectantly and turned around as both Llywessiar’s and Ausaphaborishan’s hiss announced the arrival of the two women.

As Rhema and Charis looked upon the dragons, Ausaphaborishan stood to the right. Ausaphaborishan’s Drakontai stood around him in a quarter circle extending from the right of their dragon father to a place exactly between the women and the great wyrm. Each of the people within this quarter circle carried the heritage highlights and eye flecks of their dragon father.

Llywessiar was the left dragon as Rhema and Charis looked on. Another group of Drakontai stood awaiting the women in the shape of a quarter circle that was the mirror image of the circle made up by the Drakontai of Ausaphaborishan. This circle extended from the left of Llywessiar to the place where Auasphaborishan’s people stood. The Drakontai standing around Llywessiar were mixed between Llywessair’s natural clan and Charis’ people from the land of Quehalost.

Essentially this meant that at this moment Ausaphaborishan’s valley contained the equivalent of three Drakontai clans. Each of the clans had risen from being seated upon the ground and were focused completely upon the women as they approached. Rhema reached up and lightly touched the side of Charis’ face. “Look down, Charis. Take your eyes off of the dragons and look to the ground.”

Charis’ eyes dropped to the ground beneath the great dragons. Her eyes grew wide in surprise as she observed all of the people. “The people, too? My people have come?” Once more tears began to form at the corners of her eyes.

Rhema smiled and clasped Charis left hand with her right. “Did you expect Llywessiar to miss the opportunity to give one of his daughters away in marriage?”

Charis couldn’t help but allow a radiant smile beam from her face as tears openly flowed down her cheeks. “Well, I didn’t really expect him to devote the resources to bringing himself and his tribe to this occasion, either! After all, I’m not naturally his daughter.”

Rhema spotted three men standing in between the two massive wyrms. She easily recognized Ischarus and Semeion. Semeion stood below and slightly to the right of Llywessiar while Ischarus stood below and slightly to the left of Ausaphaborishan. She could tell by the expressions on the face of each of these men that they were in awe of the way that Rhema and Charis had been prepared for the service. They had not been ready for the beauty and the effects that the draconic themed dresses would have upon them.

The man who was standing in the center between Ischarus and Semeion gave Rhema a bit more of a difficulty in identification. Suddenly the man looked up toward Llywessiar and she caught sight of his own draconic markings. It was Brandt who stood between Ischarus and Semeion.

Charis spoke about the same time as Rhema made the identification of Brandt. “I suppose we should be heading towards that gathering, Rhema. They’ll be a bit disappointed if we turn around now.”

Rhema smiled and nodded. She stepped first with her right foot and Charis joined her. Together the two women walked stride for stride towards the people. When they had reached the place where the two quarter circles of Drakontai came together, the people parted and allowed them to pass through and into the circle. The women who had been serving both Rhema and Charis in the room of preparation filed into the ranks of the Drakontai who stood around Ausaphaborishan.

As the two women approached the inner heart of the circle, the wyrms increased the level of their hissing. Brandt leaned forward and spoke loudly into Ischarus’ and Semeion’s ear. “The hissing is a ceremonial act. It is said that no evil spirit can stand to be in the presence of a hiss from a virtuous dragon. Of course, this is only a legend. But you know superstition and tradition!”

Semeion smiled. Given the line of work that these four adventurers engaged themselves in, he would take all the superstitious wards that he could get his hands on. If enduring the loud hiss of a dragon would give them any luck at all - even if it was only imagined luck – he would take it. In a world where magical charms and telepathic powers had as much reality as the sword at Ischarus’ side there could be no telling how the hiss of a virtuous dragon would affect their lives.

Ischarus fidgeted nervously with his clothing as he watched the women come forward. His fingers adjusted the angle at which his sword and scabbard hung from his belt. Once they had adjusted the sword they slightly adjusted the positioning of the strap holding the dragon scale across his back.

Semeion reached over and lightly placed his hand upon Ischarus’ shoulder. “You don’t need to worry, Ischarus. I’ll be here for you the whole way. Charis will be here for you the whole way. And probably most importantly, Rhema is going to be here for you the whole way. Relax and enjoy the moment.”

Ischarus brought his fingers in on his palms. He could feel the dampness from the sweat soaking into the underside of the glove. “Relax. Those are easy words for you to say.” A smile passed over his face as he mentally tried to focus on the approaching women and not fidgeting.

When the half circle of Drakontai broke to allow the women through, Brandt watched from behind as both Ischarus and Semeion drew in a substantial breath. Their shoulders rose in unison, although Ischarus held his breath considerably longer. When it looked as though Ischarus had forgotten to exhale, Brandt leaned forward slightly to whisper into their ears once again. A devilish grin crossed his lips and a mischievous twinkle appeared in his eyes. “One word and we can all be out of here, you know. We could leave, just the three of us. This is your last chance.”

The comment caught Ischarus completely by surprise. He coughed, expelling a fair amount of the air that he had been holding within his lungs. Brandt’s words had the desired effect, and he straightened himself back to his full height. The grin remained on his face.

Semeion chuckled a bit and turned his head ever so slightly. “Don’t tempt him, Brandt. And if you did use your magic to take us to Tongra again, you know you’d have two angry women hunting you down.”

Ischarus smiled at the thought as the women drew even closer to them. Brandt spoke so softly that his lips didn’t even need to move. “Well, perhaps not, then. I wouldn’t want their fury after me.”

The women approached the men until they were within an arm’s reach. Semeion reached out and took both of Charis’ hands in his. Ischarus also reached out and took both of Rhema’s hands in his own. The gathered community of Drakontai cheered and clapped as the couples finally came together.

Brandt leaned forward. He noticed that the responsibility of the coming service had finally set in on each of them. All four of the faces before them had gone a touch on the pale side. Of course, Brandt knew that this was quite natural. He spoke softly enough so that only the two couples before him could hear. “Are you all ready to begin another adventure?”[/Sblock]

Nonlethal Force

First Post
The ceremony proceeded quickly once it was underway. In his capacity as temple priest, Brandt officiated the double wedding between the couples with grace and piety. Ausaphaborishan readily accepted the marriage of Rhema to Ischarus and his clan of Drakontai welcomed Rhema as a member of Ausaphaborishan’s people. In many respects they had already done so upon learning of her work with Ischarus in Quehalost several months back when Ausaphaborishan had been summoned to help the party rescue Charis’ people.

The same could be said about Semeion and the people of Llywessiar’s clan. With Semeion’s marriage to Charis, the invitation was extended for Semeion to become part of Llywessiar’s people. The separate clans under Llywessiar showed absolutely no distinction in their welcoming Semeion among the unified clan.

The couples were married in the eyes of the gods, in the eyes of the two dragon fathers, and in the eyes of the people. The service itself took hardly more than three-quarters of an hour. The gathered Drakontai erupted in a loud cheer as the service concluded with the combined draconic roars of approval. Several of the men of Ausaphaborishan’s clan quickly departed to a nearby pavilion and began bringing out casks of wine and barrels of ale while other men began lighting a giant bonfire. A mighty celebration would follow such a memorable service. It was rare enough for a double wedding to occur. It was even rarer for it to involve separate dragon fathers.

As the day passed into night, the foursome began to wind down in their duties of receiving the people. There had been enough talk of congratulations, enough discussion for future plans, enough well-wishing in general. The intermingling of the Drakontai clans began to separate into the more natural cliques according to the clans. Llywessiar’s people would not be leaving until the next morning, but once the sun passed over the horizon the mingling grew less and less. Many people were tired and desired to return to their accommodations. Others in the village enjoyed sipping ale and wine while sitting beside the bonfire. There was plenty of roasted meat to carry the remaining celebrants well into the evening.

It was at this time that the foursome found themselves alone. They were standing away from the fire and rapidly growing more and more tired as the night took hold. Each of them had either shaken the hand or joined in dance with nearly everyone from both of the clans. Their minds were exhausted and their bodies ached. Yet it had been a good day.

Brandt approached the party for the first time since the celebration had ended. His position among Llywessiar’s people had kept him from officially greeting the newlyweds until now. With the majority of the Drakontai clans beginning to retire, his official duties of office could also be retired for the evening. As he approached the foursome, each of the newlyweds greeted him with a weary smile.

Charis stepped forward and met him in an embrace. “Thank you so much for your willingness to officiate over our marriages. With your tutelage over Ischarus and Semeion I doubt they could’ve found a more meaningful person to do the task. As a fellow member of your clan I don’t think that I could be more proud to have you as one of our leaders.”

Brandt returned the hug warmly and deeply. “It is always a pleasure to serve my people. It is especially meaningful to serve those who have dedicated their lives in service of others as well.”

Charis released Brandt from her hug and stepped back. There were a small amount of tears still left in her tear ducts and her eyes decided that this was an appropriate time to shed them. As Charis stepped back, Semeion and Ischarus each exchanged sturdy handshakes with Brandt in recognition of his service.

When the men were finished thanking Brandt, Rhema approached Brandt and embraced him again. “I agree with Charis and the others. It was an honor to have you serve. Although I have to confess that you caught me off guard when you began the service by whispering and asking us if we were ready for another adventure. I almost imagined us vanishing at that moment into thin air through one of your teleportation spells!”

Brandt and the others chuckled at the thought. “No, I had nothing so devious planned for that particular moment. The adventure I spoke of is the adventure of marriage. Marriage is one of the most joyful and difficult things that you will encounter in life. I hope that you do not take it too lightly.”

The foursome simply stood in silence as they listened to the elder Drakontos. They each realized that they had little that they could add that would be meaningful at this point. Sure, they thought they understood what marriage was about, but they weren’t foolish enough to even hint that they knew what to expect. Their chosen careers would make their marriage all the more unique. Most married couples did not voluntarily head into hostile territory several times a year.

Brandt continued with his advice. “Although, I do have a bit of a wedding gift for you that you might consider an adventure.”

The Drakontos priest removed a small thin box from an inside pocket of his robes. The box was ornate in the carvings along the outside. Two Celtic Knot designs had been engraved into the wooden box so that the Celtic Knots appeared as ribbon tied around a package. The box was made from solid oak so that even in its thin condition it was quite sturdy.

As Brandt held the thin box in his right hand he reached over the box with his left hand and gripped the top. The box emitted a small creaking noise as Brandt slid the lid of the box to the left. The lid slipped off completely, revealing small interlocking grooves that had been cut in both the top and the bottom of the box so that the box would remain securely closed. As the box slid open the light cast from the bonfire flickered and cast shadows along the rich blue velvet used to line the inside.

Semeion smiled as his eyes moved past the rich fabric and onto the contents. Lying inside the box were four simple gold rings. One of the rings had a small oak leaf that had been twisted around its circle as some sort of identification. Brandt offered the three unmarked rings to Rhema, Charis, and Semeion respectively. The fourth ring he placed in his own left palm and undid the leaf binding. As he undid the oak leaf wrapping around the ring, he offered a simple explanation. “These are a simple gift, really. Do not value them any more than you ought. It is expected that the four of you will go anyplace that you desire in celebration of your marriage. When that time of celebration is up, it is also expected that you will begin another trip from the villa in Huetown to the land of Quehalost. These rings will aid you in that journey. Within each of the three rings that I have already handed out is the latent energy of one single teleportation spell. It will take you from wherever you are in this world and transport you back to your own bedrooms within Rhema’s father’s villa. This ring, which I will give to Ischarus, has the magic of two spells inside. I’ll use it to demonstrate the magic.”

He slipped the ring onto his finger and gave it a single twist. Immediately his body wavered as if the ground under his feet emitted a great heat. His body vanished immediately. The foursome smiled in delight.

Semeion carried a look of awe on his face. “I have got to learn that spell someday.”

Charis placed her firm had on his shoulder and smiled. “Not until Brandt confirms that you are ready to handle the magical energies, of course. I’ll not have my new husband teleporting himself into a wall or something more dangerous because you can’t handle the magic.”

Semeion’s expression reduced from awe to that of simple pleasure. He spoke in a teasingly sarcastic tone. “Yes, dear.”

Ischarus coughed in reaction to Semeion’s comment and placed his left arm around Rhema’s shoulders. “By the gods, they’ve started already.”

Semeion laughed as he immediately understood the meaning of Ischarus’ words. Charis gave Ischarus and Rhema a questioning glance. “Started already?”

Rhema smiled at Charis and laughed. “A commentary on Semeion’s subservience.”

Charis gave a polite smile to Ischarus and spoke with a tone mocking Ischarus’ earlier sarcasm. “Darn right.”

The foursome shared a hearty laugh. During the laugh, the air beside Semeion wavered again as Brandt returned via another teleportation spell. His face revealed deep concern, however. The foursome picked up on his expression and looked on with interest.

Ischarus spoke for the group. “Brandt? What’s wrong? Didn’t the ring work as you expected?”

Brandt slowly shook his head, obviously in disbelief. He quickly took off the ring and tossed it to Ischarus. “No, the rings work perfectly. Put them on and use them to follow me. Rhema, the villa has been destroyed! It’s been completely destroyed!”

The foursome gasped in a unison sense of shock and Rhema exclaimed in surprise. “Destroyed? But, destroyed how?”

Brandt only shook his head side to side. “I didn’t take long enough to investigate it. It’s been leveled. Come and see!” Brandt waited until he saw that each of the foursome had their rings. Once he was sure that the rings were in the right hands he spoke his magical command. “Placilicuhn ul-Tactum.”

Brandt vanished once more in a waver as if hit by a great source of heat. Rhema, Charis, and Semeion each twisted their rings and vanished in a similar effect. Ischarus was left alone for a brief moment of time.

Rhema’s new husband paused for a moment and looked around. He breathed in deeply and sighed. By this time in the celebration most of the Drakontai wouldn’t even notice that they were gone. He spoke to himself before twisting the ring that Brandt had given to him. “They say that there is no rest for the weary. After this day, I am weary. But apparently there is also no time to enjoy the first night of marriage for the weary, either.” With another sigh he twisted the small gold ring on his finger and vanished.

The ceremony proceeded quickly once it was underway. In his capacity as temple priest, Brandt officiated the double wedding between the couples with grace and piety. Ausaphaborishan readily accepted the marriage of Rhema to Ischarus and his clan of Drakontai welcomed Rhema as a member of Ausaphaborishan’s people. In many respects they had already done so upon learning of her work with Ischarus in Quehalost several months back when Ausaphaborishan had been summoned to help the party rescue Charis’ people.

The same could be said about Semeion and the people of Llywessiar’s clan. With Semeion’s marriage to Charis, the invitation was extended for Semeion to become part of Llywessiar’s people. The separate clans under Llywessiar showed absolutely no distinction in their welcoming Semeion among the unified clan.

The couples were married in the eyes of the gods, in the eyes of the two dragon fathers, and in the eyes of the people. The service itself took hardly more than three-quarters of an hour. The gathered Drakontai erupted in a loud cheer as the service concluded with the combined draconic roars of approval. Several of the men of Ausaphaborishan’s clan quickly departed to a nearby pavilion and began bringing out casks of wine and barrels of ale while other men began lighting a giant bonfire. A mighty celebration would follow such a memorable service. It was rare enough for a double wedding to occur. It was even rarer for it to involve separate dragon fathers.

As the day passed into night, the foursome began to wind down in their duties of receiving the people. There had been enough talk of congratulations, enough discussion for future plans, enough well-wishing in general. The intermingling of the Drakontai clans began to separate into the more natural cliques according to the clans. Llywessiar’s people would not be leaving until the next morning, but once the sun passed over the horizon the mingling grew less and less. Many people were tired and desired to return to their accommodations. Others in the village enjoyed sipping ale and wine while sitting beside the bonfire. There was plenty of roasted meat to carry the remaining celebrants well into the evening.

It was at this time that the foursome found themselves alone. They were standing away from the fire and rapidly growing more and more tired as the night took hold. Each of them had either shaken the hand or joined in dance with nearly everyone from both of the clans. Their minds were exhausted and their bodies ached. Yet it had been a good day.

Brandt approached the party for the first time since the celebration had ended. His position among Llywessiar’s people had kept him from officially greeting the newlyweds until now. With the majority of the Drakontai clans beginning to retire, his official duties of office could also be retired for the evening. As he approached the foursome, each of the newlyweds greeted him with a weary smile.

Charis stepped forward and met him in an embrace. “Thank you so much for your willingness to officiate over our marriages. With your tutelage over Ischarus and Semeion I doubt they could’ve found a more meaningful person to do the task. As a fellow member of your clan I don’t think that I could be more proud to have you as one of our leaders.”

Brandt returned the hug warmly and deeply. “It is always a pleasure to serve my people. It is especially meaningful to serve those who have dedicated their lives in service of others as well.”

Charis released Brandt from her hug and stepped back. There were a small amount of tears still left in her tear ducts and her eyes decided that this was an appropriate time to shed them. As Charis stepped back, Semeion and Ischarus each exchanged sturdy handshakes with Brandt in recognition of his service.

When the men were finished thanking Brandt, Rhema approached Brandt and embraced him again. “I agree with Charis and the others. It was an honor to have you serve. Although I have to confess that you caught me off guard when you began the service by whispering and asking us if we were ready for another adventure. I almost imagined us vanishing at that moment into thin air through one of your teleportation spells!”

Brandt and the others chuckled at the thought. “No, I had nothing so devious planned for that particular moment. The adventure I spoke of is the adventure of marriage. Marriage is one of the most joyful and difficult things that you will encounter in life. I hope that you do not take it too lightly.”

The foursome simply stood in silence as they listened to the elder Drakontos. They each realized that they had little that they could add that would be meaningful at this point. Sure, they thought they understood what marriage was about, but they weren’t foolish enough to even hint that they knew what to expect. Their chosen careers would make their marriage all the more unique. Most married couples did not voluntarily head into hostile territory several times a year.

Brandt continued with his advice. “Although, I do have a bit of a wedding gift for you that you might consider an adventure.”

The Drakontos priest removed a small thin box from an inside pocket of his robes. The box was ornate in the carvings along the outside. Two Celtic Knot designs had been engraved into the wooden box so that the Celtic Knots appeared as ribbon tied around a package. The box was made from solid oak so that even in its thin condition it was quite sturdy.

As Brandt held the thin box in his right hand he reached over the box with his left hand and gripped the top. The box emitted a small creaking noise as Brandt slid the lid of the box to the left. The lid slipped off completely, revealing small interlocking grooves that had been cut in both the top and the bottom of the box so that the box would remain securely closed. As the box slid open the light cast from the bonfire flickered and cast shadows along the rich blue velvet used to line the inside.

Semeion smiled as his eyes moved past the rich fabric and onto the contents. Lying inside the box were four simple gold rings. One of the rings had a small oak leaf that had been twisted around its circle as some sort of identification. Brandt offered the three unmarked rings to Rhema, Charis, and Semeion respectively. The fourth ring he placed in his own left palm and undid the leaf binding. As he undid the oak leaf wrapping around the ring, he offered a simple explanation. “These are a simple gift, really. Do not value them any more than you ought. It is expected that the four of you will go anyplace that you desire in celebration of your marriage. When that time of celebration is up, it is also expected that you will begin another trip from the villa in Huetown to the land of Quehalost. These rings will aid you in that journey. Within each of the three rings that I have already handed out is the latent energy of one single teleportation spell. It will take you from wherever you are in this world and transport you back to your own bedrooms within Rhema’s father’s villa. This ring, which I will give to Ischarus, has the magic of two spells inside. I’ll use it to demonstrate the magic.”

He slipped the ring onto his finger and gave it a single twist. Immediately his body wavered as if the ground under his feet emitted a great heat. His body vanished immediately. The foursome smiled in delight.

Semeion carried a look of awe on his face. “I have got to learn that spell someday.”

Charis placed her firm had on his shoulder and smiled. “Not until Brandt confirms that you are ready to handle the magical energies, of course. I’ll not have my new husband teleporting himself into a wall or something more dangerous because you can’t handle the magic.”

Semeion’s expression reduced from awe to that of simple pleasure. He spoke in a teasingly sarcastic tone. “Yes, dear.”

Ischarus coughed in reaction to Semeion’s comment and placed his left arm around Rhema’s shoulders. “By the gods, they’ve started already.”

Semeion laughed as he immediately understood the meaning of Ischarus’ words. Charis gave Ischarus and Rhema a questioning glance. “Started already?”

Rhema smiled at Charis and laughed. “A commentary on Semeion’s subservience.”

Charis gave a polite smile to Ischarus and spoke with a tone mocking Ischarus’ earlier sarcasm. “Darn right.”

The foursome shared a hearty laugh. During the laugh, the air beside Semeion wavered again as Brandt returned via another teleportation spell. His face revealed deep concern, however. The foursome picked up on his expression and looked on with interest.

Ischarus spoke for the group. “Brandt? What’s wrong? Didn’t the ring work as you expected?”

Brandt slowly shook his head, obviously in disbelief. He quickly took off the ring and tossed it to Ischarus. “No, the rings work perfectly. Put them on and use them to follow me. Rhema, the villa has been destroyed! It’s been completely destroyed!”

The foursome gasped in a unison sense of shock and Rhema exclaimed in surprise. “Destroyed? But, destroyed how?”

Brandt only shook his head side to side. “I didn’t take long enough to investigate it. It’s been leveled. Come and see!” Brandt waited until he saw that each of the foursome had their rings. Once he was sure that the rings were in the right hands he spoke his magical command. “Placilicuhn ul-Tactum.”

Brandt vanished once more in a waver as if hit by a great source of heat. Rhema, Charis, and Semeion each twisted their rings and vanished in a similar effect. Ischarus was left alone for a brief moment of time.

Rhema’s new husband paused for a moment and looked around. He breathed in deeply and sighed. By this time in the celebration most of the Drakontai wouldn’t even notice that they were gone. He spoke to himself before twisting the ring that Brandt had given to him. “They say that there is no rest for the weary. After this day, I am weary. But apparently there is also no time to enjoy the first night of marriage for the weary, either.” With another sigh he twisted the small gold ring on his finger and vanished.[/Sblock]

Nonlethal Force

First Post
When the foursome had actually appeared in Tongra at Rhema’s father’s villa, they could each feel the magic of the rings drain across their fingers into the air around them. This simple passing of the magical effect paled in comparison to the emotional effect that they experienced from the destruction that stood before them. Small patches of fire still reached up into the air as the flames tried to consume each and every ounce of combustible material nearby. The fires greedily latched onto anything that would burn and suffocated it until there was nothing more to give.

The villa had crumbled and was completely destroyed. It had once been a proud testament to the land. The stone that made up the bottom floor had been pulled out of the fields as Rhema’s ancestors used teams of horses to clear the land. The second floor had been constructed from the large timbers of the surrounding forest. The building had withstood many strong gales without even flinching. It received a plethora of snow each winter, but the roof and the foundation never once sagged. The stone foundation had even lessened the risk of natural fire from dangers of outdoor cooking and even lightning strikes. The villa had stood for well over a century needing only casual repair.

Rhema ran the few short steps to her father’s villa and knelt in some of the ash that had fallen and cooled some time ago. Her words seethed angrily out of her mouth. “Arson. It has to be arson.” Her eyes had not yet shifted away from the house to take in the surrounding farmland. Charis wrapped her arms around Rhema to embrace her in the midst of the great pain.

Ischarus and Semeion had turned their gaze to the land surrounding the villa. The scene of destruction sprawled away from them as far as they could see. The new crops had been burned in the fields. They would not produce a harvest this coming fall. Blackness scorched the earth running in long swaths across the ground. It was almost as if a great scythe made of fire had cut across the land. It appeared as though the destruction was premeditated and executed rather than left to burn on its own.

Ischarus spoke next, adding to Rhema’s earlier conclusion. “Arson comes in many kinds, Rhema. A look at the destruction in the fields proves that there was some kind of intelligence behind the attack. But the stretches of black are far deeper than what could have been left by the young green plants. The plants would not have burned so strongly. Something with a great source of fire thoroughly burned the fields.”

Semeion assumed that he knew where Ischarus was headed with his assertion. “Are you thinking this is the work of a dragon? Perhaps Charis’ father dragon wasn’t destroyed after all? Maybe the red wyrm has come back to exact revenge?”

Ischarus nodded in partial agreement. “A dragon is a definite possibility as the culprit, but it couldn’t have been Charis’ dragon father. Ausaphaborishan, Lllywessiar, and Sappurapolician all saw the red wyrm enter into death. The wyrm exploded when it was overcome by my dragon father’s icy breath.”

Rhema turned and gasped for the first time as she drew her eyes away from the house and looked at the fields. “By the gods! How could this have happened? Look at the destruction!”

The foursome, with Brandt standing behind them, knew that the destruction had to be worse than what they could see. It was already a few hours past dusk and they were looking by the means of starlight. Thankfully the night was clear and they could get a firm understanding of what exactly the damage would look like in the morning. However, they all knew that the light of day would shed a much more devastating picture on the destruction in this place.

Charis replied to Rhema’s rhetorical question as she turned to look at the carnage. “I don’t think that it is likely to be a dragon strike. Most of the evil dragons in Quehalost would’ve seen what we did to my dragon father as a blessing. There’s less competition in Quehalost now.”

Semeion nodded in agreement. “Yeah. Not only is there less competition, but there is also available space to move into. Surely the land is not still empty.”

Rhema continued to stare at the burned fields before them. “But, what other force could provide enough fire to completely raze the villa and the fields? I don’t know of many forces in the world that can burn their way through fields that haven’t grown up enough to sustain the fire themselves!”

Ischarus looked up to the sky, wondering what had happened here while they were being united in marriage. He turned to Brandt and offered up a quizzical expression. “You don’t give the dragon theory much credence, do you Brandt?”

Brandt slowly shook his head side to side. “Not for a moment. The destruction appears to be designed to look as though something large and powerful flew through here and wanted revenge. It looks as though to be caused by somebody who knew about the connection between this place and the red wyrm from Quehalost. But I know for certain that Tongra does not carry threats from red dragons this far north. There is occasionally a threat from a green or brown dragon that is native to the land. But the thought of a red wyrm this far north into Tongra is almost inconceivable. They’d have to cross the Tongra-Quehalost Mountains and fly the entire distance up here. Surely a wyrm large enough to produce this kind of destruction would be spotted by another dragon. Not only that, but this kind of thoroughness in destruction would have taken a single dragon too much time. If this was from a draconic source, it would have had to have been a flight of dragons. If that is the case, the Assembly of Virtuous Dragons would have been alerted of the threat.”

Rhema pursed her lips in anger. “Who, then? Who would have a large enough grudge against my father to burn down his villa and the crops in the fields?”

She paused for a moment and Charis gasped in realization. “Rhema, your father! Is he still safe in Ausaphaborishan’s valley in Barghost?”

A look of horror descended upon the faces of the five gathered among the ash covered remains. Up until now this was only a simple act of violence upon property. None of the five people standing together had once thought of the people in this place. With the celebration, only a skeleton staff was left behind to run the villa’s operations.

Rhema replied as a tear descended down her cheek. “Yes, my father is still in Ausaphaborishan’s valley. Most of those who were living at the villa had come to Barghost to witness the wedding. But certainly not everyone had come.”

A lump stuck in Rhema’s throat as she spoke the last words of her sentence. Whoever or whatever had brought this destruction upon the villa had obliterated the structure. They had destroyed the crop fields thoroughly. There could be little hope for anyone who was caught at the villa when the destruction had hit.

Ischarus looked back toward the rubble from the stone villa that was now covered in ash from the massive fire. “How many were left, Rhema? Do you remember?”

Rhema shook her head from side to side. “Four? Five? Six at the most? I don’t recall. I was too worried about the wedding celebration to really know for certain. I know that all the Drakontai still at the villa had come with us to Ausaphaborishan’s valley. There would have been someone to watch the house, someone to oversee the fields, someone to care for the farm animals.”

Her voice stopped suddenly at the thought of the animals. The whole group instinctively turned to the location of the barn. They were not surprised in the least to find smoldering remains left behind. In truth, the party had witnessed enough carnage by this point that there was little that would have surprised them any more. The act was so violent and so senseless that there was little reason for any of what they saw. It was impossible to make any sense of the destroyed land before their eyes.

Ischarus wrapped an arm around Rhema. “I know this isn’t really what you want to hear at this time, Rhema. But do you think that we’ve seen enough of the destruction for this night? I know that I can’t stomach much more of this destruction, and there isn’t much else that we can do for a while until the morning. We won’t get any answers until then.”

Charis approached Rhema from the side opposite to which Ischarus stood and wrapped her own arm around Rhema’s waist. “He’s right, you know. There isn’t much we can do in the dark. We’ve all lost a bit of ourselves in this. Maybe the animals escaped the barn burn. Maybe the hands were able to flee if they got any warning at all. And we can certainly rebuild.”

Rhema turned her head into Ischarus’ strong shoulder and began to weep. She needed to mourn. It was supposed to be one of the happiest nights of her life. Instead, it would be a night that she wished she could forget.

Brandt motioned for Semeion to return to his side and complete the circle around Rhema. As Rhema continued to weep, the others joined hands around her and made sure that Rhema was included in the circle. Brandt spoke the simple arcane words that would return them to Ausaphaborishan’s valley. As silently as they had come, the party wavered once more and vanished into thin air.

When the foursome had actually appeared in Tongra at Rhema’s father’s villa, they could each feel the magic of the rings drain across their fingers into the air around them. This simple passing of the magical effect paled in comparison to the emotional effect that they experienced from the destruction that stood before them. Small patches of fire still reached up into the air as the flames tried to consume each and every ounce of combustible material nearby. The fires greedily latched onto anything that would burn and suffocated it until there was nothing more to give.

The villa had crumbled and was completely destroyed. It had once been a proud testament to the land. The stone that made up the bottom floor had been pulled out of the fields as Rhema’s ancestors used teams of horses to clear the land. The second floor had been constructed from the large timbers of the surrounding forest. The building had withstood many strong gales without even flinching. It received a plethora of snow each winter, but the roof and the foundation never once sagged. The stone foundation had even lessened the risk of natural fire from dangers of outdoor cooking and even lightning strikes. The villa had stood for well over a century needing only casual repair.

Rhema ran the few short steps to her father’s villa and knelt in some of the ash that had fallen and cooled some time ago. Her words seethed angrily out of her mouth. “Arson. It has to be arson.” Her eyes had not yet shifted away from the house to take in the surrounding farmland. Charis wrapped her arms around Rhema to embrace her in the midst of the great pain.

Ischarus and Semeion had turned their gaze to the land surrounding the villa. The scene of destruction sprawled away from them as far as they could see. The new crops had been burned in the fields. They would not produce a harvest this coming fall. Blackness scorched the earth running in long swaths across the ground. It was almost as if a great scythe made of fire had cut across the land. It appeared as though the destruction was premeditated and executed rather than left to burn on its own.

Ischarus spoke next, adding to Rhema’s earlier conclusion. “Arson comes in many kinds, Rhema. A look at the destruction in the fields proves that there was some kind of intelligence behind the attack. But the stretches of black are far deeper than what could have been left by the young green plants. The plants would not have burned so strongly. Something with a great source of fire thoroughly burned the fields.”

Semeion assumed that he knew where Ischarus was headed with his assertion. “Are you thinking this is the work of a dragon? Perhaps Charis’ father dragon wasn’t destroyed after all? Maybe the red wyrm has come back to exact revenge?”

Ischarus nodded in partial agreement. “A dragon is a definite possibility as the culprit, but it couldn’t have been Charis’ dragon father. Ausaphaborishan, Lllywessiar, and Sappurapolician all saw the red wyrm enter into death. The wyrm exploded when it was overcome by my dragon father’s icy breath.”

Rhema turned and gasped for the first time as she drew her eyes away from the house and looked at the fields. “By the gods! How could this have happened? Look at the destruction!”

The foursome, with Brandt standing behind them, knew that the destruction had to be worse than what they could see. It was already a few hours past dusk and they were looking by the means of starlight. Thankfully the night was clear and they could get a firm understanding of what exactly the damage would look like in the morning. However, they all knew that the light of day would shed a much more devastating picture on the destruction in this place.

Charis replied to Rhema’s rhetorical question as she turned to look at the carnage. “I don’t think that it is likely to be a dragon strike. Most of the evil dragons in Quehalost would’ve seen what we did to my dragon father as a blessing. There’s less competition in Quehalost now.”

Semeion nodded in agreement. “Yeah. Not only is there less competition, but there is also available space to move into. Surely the land is not still empty.”

Rhema continued to stare at the burned fields before them. “But, what other force could provide enough fire to completely raze the villa and the fields? I don’t know of many forces in the world that can burn their way through fields that haven’t grown up enough to sustain the fire themselves!”

Ischarus looked up to the sky, wondering what had happened here while they were being united in marriage. He turned to Brandt and offered up a quizzical expression. “You don’t give the dragon theory much credence, do you Brandt?”

Brandt slowly shook his head side to side. “Not for a moment. The destruction appears to be designed to look as though something large and powerful flew through here and wanted revenge. It looks as though to be caused by somebody who knew about the connection between this place and the red wyrm from Quehalost. But I know for certain that Tongra does not carry threats from red dragons this far north. There is occasionally a threat from a green or brown dragon that is native to the land. But the thought of a red wyrm this far north into Tongra is almost inconceivable. They’d have to cross the Tongra-Quehalost Mountains and fly the entire distance up here. Surely a wyrm large enough to produce this kind of destruction would be spotted by another dragon. Not only that, but this kind of thoroughness in destruction would have taken a single dragon too much time. If this was from a draconic source, it would have had to have been a flight of dragons. If that is the case, the Assembly of Virtuous Dragons would have been alerted of the threat.”

Rhema pursed her lips in anger. “Who, then? Who would have a large enough grudge against my father to burn down his villa and the crops in the fields?”

She paused for a moment and Charis gasped in realization. “Rhema, your father! Is he still safe in Ausaphaborishan’s valley in Barghost?”

A look of horror descended upon the faces of the five gathered among the ash covered remains. Up until now this was only a simple act of violence upon property. None of the five people standing together had once thought of the people in this place. With the celebration, only a skeleton staff was left behind to run the villa’s operations.

Rhema replied as a tear descended down her cheek. “Yes, my father is still in Ausaphaborishan’s valley. Most of those who were living at the villa had come to Barghost to witness the wedding. But certainly not everyone had come.”

A lump stuck in Rhema’s throat as she spoke the last words of her sentence. Whoever or whatever had brought this destruction upon the villa had obliterated the structure. They had destroyed the crop fields thoroughly. There could be little hope for anyone who was caught at the villa when the destruction had hit.

Ischarus looked back toward the rubble from the stone villa that was now covered in ash from the massive fire. “How many were left, Rhema? Do you remember?”

Rhema shook her head from side to side. “Four? Five? Six at the most? I don’t recall. I was too worried about the wedding celebration to really know for certain. I know that all the Drakontai still at the villa had come with us to Ausaphaborishan’s valley. There would have been someone to watch the house, someone to oversee the fields, someone to care for the farm animals.”

Her voice stopped suddenly at the thought of the animals. The whole group instinctively turned to the location of the barn. They were not surprised in the least to find smoldering remains left behind. In truth, the party had witnessed enough carnage by this point that there was little that would have surprised them any more. The act was so violent and so senseless that there was little reason for any of what they saw. It was impossible to make any sense of the destroyed land before their eyes.

Ischarus wrapped an arm around Rhema. “I know this isn’t really what you want to hear at this time, Rhema. But do you think that we’ve seen enough of the destruction for this night? I know that I can’t stomach much more of this destruction, and there isn’t much else that we can do for a while until the morning. We won’t get any answers until then.”

Charis approached Rhema from the side opposite to which Ischarus stood and wrapped her own arm around Rhema’s waist. “He’s right, you know. There isn’t much we can do in the dark. We’ve all lost a bit of ourselves in this. Maybe the animals escaped the barn burn. Maybe the hands were able to flee if they got any warning at all. And we can certainly rebuild.”

Rhema turned her head into Ischarus’ strong shoulder and began to weep. She needed to mourn. It was supposed to be one of the happiest nights of her life. Instead, it would be a night that she wished she could forget.

Brandt motioned for Semeion to return to his side and complete the circle around Rhema. As Rhema continued to weep, the others joined hands around her and made sure that Rhema was included in the circle. Brandt spoke the simple arcane words that would return them to Ausaphaborishan’s valley. As silently as they had come, the party wavered once more and vanished into thin air.[/Sblock]

Nonlethal Force

First Post
The night was long for each of the foursome who had just been married. Instead of the excitement of spending their first nights together as married couples, the four huddled together in Ischarus’ and Rhema’s room around a wood burning iron stove. They couldn’t sleep knowing what they had seen earlier in the night. They couldn’t bear to be alone and to be left with their thoughts to keep them awake. They spent much of the night talking amongst themselves and lightly dozing in and out of the conversation.

Just after sunrise, the foursome was alerted to the coming day by a knock upon the door. Brandt spoke to them from the other side. “Hello? Is everyone in this room? I tried the room for Semeion and Charis and couldn’t find anyone.”

Semeion and Charis sat closest to the door. The young mage stood up wearily and crossed the few steps to where he could open the door. He opened the door wide to allow Brandt free access to the room.

Brandt smiled as he saw Semeion and then the other three occupants of the room. “Well, I guess that is why I couldn’t find you, then.” He knew that there wasn’t much point in asking them how their night was. The dark circles under their eyes told him all that he needed to know.

Charis stood to greet Brandt. “We didn’t sleep much, but that shouldn’t really surprise you. We were just waiting for the sun to come up so that we could go back to Tongra and start looking at what happened.”

Rhema looked out the window. “The sun hasn’t been up for that long of a time, has it?”

Brandt shook his head from side to side. “Ten, maybe fifteen minutes by now. Certainly it is still dark in Tongra to the west. However, the light of the sun should be reaching your father’s land within an hour. Does he know?”

Ischarus looked to his new wife, but Rhema turned her head back to the window. She couldn’t bear the thought of telling her father what had happened. Ischarus turned his head back to look at Brandt but could see that Brandt had already interpreted Rhema’s actions. He spoke the truth anyway, knowing that Rhema needed to hear the words. “We couldn’t justify ruining his night of sleep. We could console each other, and there was nothing any one of us could have done last night anyway. We thought it best to let him sleep. I’ll go tell him while we get ready to return.”

Rhema reached her hand out back to where she knew Ischarus stood. She wasn’t looking in his direction, so she hand reached back blindly. Ischarus saw the gesture and reached out to take her hand into his own. At the touch, Rhema spoke as she continued to stare out the window. “I’ll go, too. It was my land and he is my father. I should be there with you.”

Charis looked to Semeion and spoke the words that she knew Semeion was also thinking. “We can all go, Rhema. We can all be there to support you and your father.”

Rhema smiled and turned away from the window to face Charis. “No. You both stay here and pack. When you are ready, pack up what little Ischarus and I have brought as well. We’ll meet you wherever Brandt wants to meet so that we can return together.”

Brandt spoke next. He wanted to interrupt the plans with the information that he had already learned before coming to the newlyweds’ chambers. “Ausaphaborishan and Llywessiar have already been told of this. I took the liberty to tell them early this morning. Ausaphaborishan desires to return with us and if nothing else to provide for our security. There is no telling if the ones who accomplished such destruction might still be in the area. If they are, Ausaphaborishan would like to be there to help discourage them from staying.”

Ischarus smiled and hugged Rhema. “Then it is settled. We’ll go to Rhema’s father. Semeion and Ischarus will pack up what little belongings that we’ll need for the day. And we’ll meet you and Ausaphaborishan where, Brandt?”

Brandt looked directly into Ischarus’ eyes. “We’ll meet Ausaphaborishan at the north face.”

The foursome nodded and with a solemn determination they went about their tasks. Rhema and Ischarus had no easy time telling Rhema’s father, but within a half an hour they had worked through the shock and immediate despair to be able to bring themselves to the north face. Semeion and Charis were already standing beside Brandt waiting for them. Ausaphaborishan was lying in a great circle with his neck and tail wrapping around those who had gathered. As Ischarus approached with his new bride and father-in-law, the dragon stood. When everyone had reached out and placed a hand upon his tail, Ausaphaborishan spoke the magic words and the group vanished in the familiar wavering effect.

In Tongra, the group appeared under the cover of darkness. The teleportation spell had managed to beat the sun’s rays of light across the land. Ausaphaborishan lifted his head to the sky and searched the stars above him. As his nostrils filled with the smell of ash, he thought. The large wyrm spoke through a mighty exhale that nearly sounded light a deep moan of pain. “The sun will make its appearance in about ten minutes by the look of the stars and the clouds in the sky to the east.”

Rhema’s father fell to his knees as the starlight gave him his first glimpse of the ruined villa. As he collapsed to the ground, his left knee struck the remains of a completely burned timber that had once made up the outer wall of the house. The wood had been burned so quickly that it retained much of its shape despite being deeply blackened and ashen in color. As his knee struck the scorched log, it became obvious that the fire had destroyed the wood entirely, however. The log burst into a cloud of ash upon receiving the weight of the man’s knee.

Rhema’s father began to weep bitterly as the cloud of ash surrounded his body and then settled back upon the ground around him. The man reached down to the ground and scooped up a small handful of ash into his left hand. He spit several times into his right palm and mixed the two hands together. As the ash mixed together with the spit, he took the fingers of his left hand and smeared the mixture over the skin of his face.

The rest of the party could do nothing but stand around him and support the man in his pain. Rhema reached out and placed her hand lightly upon her father’s left shoulder. His right hand crossed his body and reached up to embrace the top of her hand. Rhema’s hand was smeared with the ash and spittle mixture. Ischarus reached out and wrapped his right arm around Rhema’s shoulders. There was little to do here but mourn.

After several minutes of silence, Rhema’s father spoke softly through the weeping. “Who could have done this? Who has the power enough to have accomplished this task?”

Silence passed for several moments. Nobody desired to speak until they were sure that the man’s words were complete. Ausaphaborishan spoke first in order to break the silence. “Not only should you ask who could have done this and who would have done this, but I think that you should also ask who knew of the details of the wedding. The strike against this villa was obviously timed to occur when it was most defenseless.”

The dragon’s voice from above had caught the gathered people off-guard. With the mourning of Rhema’s father they had completely forgotten that there was a large dragon in their midst. The wyrm’s voice had thundered down from above as if it were coming unexpectedly from the heavens above.

Rhema’s father shook his head. “I told my friends, of course. Any proud father would do such a thing. All of the servants at the villa knew of the wedding. Of course that means that most of Huetown would have known, or at least those who had any interest in the wedding would have known. But what would the rest of the world care? We have but few dealings with anyone of substantial power in the civilized lands. Our greatest enemies live in Quehalost. I doubt any word of the wedding would have made it that far!”

Brandt chewed on his lower lip for a second as he thought. “I agree. The threats in Quehalost are unlikely. They simply are just too far away to take this much effort in revenge. Not only that, but the red wyrm has been destroyed. That was the biggest foe for this adventuring band.”

The sun began to peak over the horizon to the east. With the sun’s rays taking such a slight angle with relation to the sun, Ischarus thought he could make out a simple glint of metal about twenty feet towards the coming appearance of the sun. His arm left Rhema’s shoulder and he slowly walked over to where he was sure the glint of metal had been seen.

When he reached the spot, he couldn’t see any metal. His feet began to sift through the ash and his boot struck something solid. As he knelt to the ground his hand reached gingerly into the short layer of ash that covered the ground. His fingers found what his foot had struck earlier. It was a small blade.

The rest of the party looked on with curiosity. When Ischarus knelt down to lift something up, Semeion called out with curiosity and began walking toward Ischarus. “Ischarus, what have you found?”

Ischarus carefully lifted the blade out of the ash that covered it. Ischarus discovered that his hands held a ceremonial dagger. Most likely, it had accidentally fallen from its owner’s hands or its sheath. Ischarus found that there was a pattern burned into the leather that bound the handle of the dagger. The symbol was as simple as the blade was ornate. The symbol was that of a crescent moon with a small dagger sticking through it. Ischarus narrowed his eyes as he thought about the design.

The night was long for each of the foursome who had just been married. Instead of the excitement of spending their first nights together as married couples, the four huddled together in Ischarus’ and Rhema’s room around a wood burning iron stove. They couldn’t sleep knowing what they had seen earlier in the night. They couldn’t bear to be alone and to be left with their thoughts to keep them awake. They spent much of the night talking amongst themselves and lightly dozing in and out of the conversation.

Just after sunrise, the foursome was alerted to the coming day by a knock upon the door. Brandt spoke to them from the other side. “Hello? Is everyone in this room? I tried the room for Semeion and Charis and couldn’t find anyone.”

Semeion and Charis sat closest to the door. The young mage stood up wearily and crossed the few steps to where he could open the door. He opened the door wide to allow Brandt free access to the room.

Brandt smiled as he saw Semeion and then the other three occupants of the room. “Well, I guess that is why I couldn’t find you, then.” He knew that there wasn’t much point in asking them how their night was. The dark circles under their eyes told him all that he needed to know.

Charis stood to greet Brandt. “We didn’t sleep much, but that shouldn’t really surprise you. We were just waiting for the sun to come up so that we could go back to Tongra and start looking at what happened.”

Rhema looked out the window. “The sun hasn’t been up for that long of a time, has it?”

Brandt shook his head from side to side. “Ten, maybe fifteen minutes by now. Certainly it is still dark in Tongra to the west. However, the light of the sun should be reaching your father’s land within an hour. Does he know?”

Ischarus looked to his new wife, but Rhema turned her head back to the window. She couldn’t bear the thought of telling her father what had happened. Ischarus turned his head back to look at Brandt but could see that Brandt had already interpreted Rhema’s actions. He spoke the truth anyway, knowing that Rhema needed to hear the words. “We couldn’t justify ruining his night of sleep. We could console each other, and there was nothing any one of us could have done last night anyway. We thought it best to let him sleep. I’ll go tell him while we get ready to return.”

Rhema reached her hand out back to where she knew Ischarus stood. She wasn’t looking in his direction, so she hand reached back blindly. Ischarus saw the gesture and reached out to take her hand into his own. At the touch, Rhema spoke as she continued to stare out the window. “I’ll go, too. It was my land and he is my father. I should be there with you.”

Charis looked to Semeion and spoke the words that she knew Semeion was also thinking. “We can all go, Rhema. We can all be there to support you and your father.”

Rhema smiled and turned away from the window to face Charis. “No. You both stay here and pack. When you are ready, pack up what little Ischarus and I have brought as well. We’ll meet you wherever Brandt wants to meet so that we can return together.”

Brandt spoke next. He wanted to interrupt the plans with the information that he had already learned before coming to the newlyweds’ chambers. “Ausaphaborishan and Llywessiar have already been told of this. I took the liberty to tell them early this morning. Ausaphaborishan desires to return with us and if nothing else to provide for our security. There is no telling if the ones who accomplished such destruction might still be in the area. If they are, Ausaphaborishan would like to be there to help discourage them from staying.”

Ischarus smiled and hugged Rhema. “Then it is settled. We’ll go to Rhema’s father. Semeion and Ischarus will pack up what little belongings that we’ll need for the day. And we’ll meet you and Ausaphaborishan where, Brandt?”

Brandt looked directly into Ischarus’ eyes. “We’ll meet Ausaphaborishan at the north face.”

The foursome nodded and with a solemn determination they went about their tasks. Rhema and Ischarus had no easy time telling Rhema’s father, but within a half an hour they had worked through the shock and immediate despair to be able to bring themselves to the north face. Semeion and Charis were already standing beside Brandt waiting for them. Ausaphaborishan was lying in a great circle with his neck and tail wrapping around those who had gathered. As Ischarus approached with his new bride and father-in-law, the dragon stood. When everyone had reached out and placed a hand upon his tail, Ausaphaborishan spoke the magic words and the group vanished in the familiar wavering effect.

In Tongra, the group appeared under the cover of darkness. The teleportation spell had managed to beat the sun’s rays of light across the land. Ausaphaborishan lifted his head to the sky and searched the stars above him. As his nostrils filled with the smell of ash, he thought. The large wyrm spoke through a mighty exhale that nearly sounded light a deep moan of pain. “The sun will make its appearance in about ten minutes by the look of the stars and the clouds in the sky to the east.”

Rhema’s father fell to his knees as the starlight gave him his first glimpse of the ruined villa. As he collapsed to the ground, his left knee struck the remains of a completely burned timber that had once made up the outer wall of the house. The wood had been burned so quickly that it retained much of its shape despite being deeply blackened and ashen in color. As his knee struck the scorched log, it became obvious that the fire had destroyed the wood entirely, however. The log burst into a cloud of ash upon receiving the weight of the man’s knee.

Rhema’s father began to weep bitterly as the cloud of ash surrounded his body and then settled back upon the ground around him. The man reached down to the ground and scooped up a small handful of ash into his left hand. He spit several times into his right palm and mixed the two hands together. As the ash mixed together with the spit, he took the fingers of his left hand and smeared the mixture over the skin of his face.

The rest of the party could do nothing but stand around him and support the man in his pain. Rhema reached out and placed her hand lightly upon her father’s left shoulder. His right hand crossed his body and reached up to embrace the top of her hand. Rhema’s hand was smeared with the ash and spittle mixture. Ischarus reached out and wrapped his right arm around Rhema’s shoulders. There was little to do here but mourn.

After several minutes of silence, Rhema’s father spoke softly through the weeping. “Who could have done this? Who has the power enough to have accomplished this task?”

Silence passed for several moments. Nobody desired to speak until they were sure that the man’s words were complete. Ausaphaborishan spoke first in order to break the silence. “Not only should you ask who could have done this and who would have done this, but I think that you should also ask who knew of the details of the wedding. The strike against this villa was obviously timed to occur when it was most defenseless.”

The dragon’s voice from above had caught the gathered people off-guard. With the mourning of Rhema’s father they had completely forgotten that there was a large dragon in their midst. The wyrm’s voice had thundered down from above as if it were coming unexpectedly from the heavens above.

Rhema’s father shook his head. “I told my friends, of course. Any proud father would do such a thing. All of the servants at the villa knew of the wedding. Of course that means that most of Huetown would have known, or at least those who had any interest in the wedding would have known. But what would the rest of the world care? We have but few dealings with anyone of substantial power in the civilized lands. Our greatest enemies live in Quehalost. I doubt any word of the wedding would have made it that far!”

Brandt chewed on his lower lip for a second as he thought. “I agree. The threats in Quehalost are unlikely. They simply are just too far away to take this much effort in revenge. Not only that, but the red wyrm has been destroyed. That was the biggest foe for this adventuring band.”

The sun began to peak over the horizon to the east. With the sun’s rays taking such a slight angle with relation to the sun, Ischarus thought he could make out a simple glint of metal about twenty feet towards the coming appearance of the sun. His arm left Rhema’s shoulder and he slowly walked over to where he was sure the glint of metal had been seen.

When he reached the spot, he couldn’t see any metal. His feet began to sift through the ash and his boot struck something solid. As he knelt to the ground his hand reached gingerly into the short layer of ash that covered the ground. His fingers found what his foot had struck earlier. It was a small blade.

The rest of the party looked on with curiosity. When Ischarus knelt down to lift something up, Semeion called out with curiosity and began walking toward Ischarus. “Ischarus, what have you found?”

Ischarus carefully lifted the blade out of the ash that covered it. Ischarus discovered that his hands held a ceremonial dagger. Most likely, it had accidentally fallen from its owner’s hands or its sheath. Ischarus found that there was a pattern burned into the leather that bound the handle of the dagger. The symbol was as simple as the blade was ornate. The symbol was that of a crescent moon with a small dagger sticking through it. Ischarus narrowed his eyes as he thought about the design.
[/Sblock]

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Chapter Two: DECEPTION REVEALED

Ischarus looked up from the markings along the dagger’s face and handle. “It’s nothing that I have seen before. I mean, it’s a ceremonial dagger, of course. But I’ve never seen these markings.” Slowly Ischarus walked back towards the party. He turned the dagger over several times in his hands in an attempt to look for any other evidence of hidden symbols. He couldn’t find any.

Semeion met him half way and extended out his hand to receive the dagger. “Do you mind if I take a look? I have studied arcane symbols to some extent.” Of course, Semeion completely forgot that Brandt and Ausaphaborishan were present and would likely have been able to recognize any symbol that Semeion could identify. He shook his head slowly and handed the blade back to Ischarus. “Nope, I don’t really recognize it either. It’s clearly a hidden message of some kind. The crescent moon is etched in outline only and the engraving of the dagger is no less basic in design.”

Brandt’s eyes narrowed as Semeion spoke of the symbol. “I’m sorry, did you say crescent moon and dagger?” His voice betrayed a subtle tone of alarm.

Semeion turned his head around sharply at Brandt’s intrusion. “Yeah. It’s a crescent moon with a dagger plunged halfway though it. Does that symbol mean something to you?”

Brandt looked up to Ausaphaborishan. He noticed that the dragon appeared as worried as he felt. “If it is what I think it is, then you have found a ceremonial dagger of the Ephistaemi. And, no, that is not a good thing.”

Rhema’s father stepped towards Semeion and held out his hand to receive the blade. Rhema was not more than a step behind him when the man spoke to Brandt. “But I have never heard of such a people. Are they a race? And what could they have against me?”

Brandt smiled at the simple questions. “No, the Ephistaemi are not a race of people. The best way to describe them is that they are an organization.”

Ausaphaborishan’s deep and rumbling voice interrupted Brandt from above. “You are being much to kind, Brandt. They are not an organization like we would think of. They are more like an international Maven’s Guild. They are experts at what they do. Not all of them are evil, but neither are all of them good as well.”

Rhema spoke up to further her father’s questions. She was largely confused by Ausaphaborishan’s explanation. “Experts? I am sure that whoever caused this kind of destruction is indeed at expert at dealing with fiery destruction! But why would bunch of experts do this?”

Brandt continued the explanation now that Ausaphaborishan had clarified his earlier point. “The Ephistaemi pride themselves on being able to get into places where other people intend to keep them out. They delight in accomplishing the once thought impossible. Yet they are not all evil, greedy, self-motivated demolition experts as one might suspect from the example before us. The driving force of the Ephistaemi is the ability to defeat the challenge and thus earn the rewards. Sometimes their skills are hired legitimately to accomplish an honorable task. As we can see before us, there are those among their ranks who take less than upstanding jobs on the side.”

Rhema’s father’s face turned red with anger. “This destruction was done for the sake of the challenge? I have lost everything simply because it was nearly impossible to pull the task off?”

Brandt rubbed his chin as he thought of the proper words to use in reply. As he did, Rhema reached out and stroked her father’s shoulders to help calm him down. She spoke lightly to him once she felt the tense muscles under his cloak. “Father, please. Brandt and Ausaphaborishan are not at fault, here. They know no more about why this happened than we do.”

Brandt continued once Rhema was done trying to soothe her father’s fury. “The Ephistaemi do not have a collective purpose. They are more like a clearinghouse for unique jobs. I have heard of tortured people joining the Ephistaemi to apprentice under a master so that they can become skilled in whatever means they wish to execute their revenge. I’ve heard of thieves joining the Ephistaemi simply because they believe it is honorable to steal from the wealthy in order to demonstrate just how insecure the wealth standing is of the nobility. There are members of the Ephistaemi who join so that they have an avenue to be a private investigator or even a spy. Not all the Ephistaemi are bad or join for the wrong reasons. About the only thing that is true about the whole collective of Ephistaemi is that they join because their talents are often in rare supply and they involve skills that you wouldn’t want to publicly announce. Even good skills, like those of a bounty hunter who is hired to find a kidnapped child, could be found within the ranks of the Ephistaemi. The Ephistaemi are secretive, but not necessarily evil in total.”

Charis spoke from her position just outside the rest of the party. “But what I hear you saying is that although a member of the Ephistaemi may have done this that it wasn’t because the Ephistaemi wanted it done.”

Ausaphaborishan chuckled and a deep rumble spread across the land covered in ash. “You would make Llywessiar proud, Charis. That is precisely what Brandt is saying. The Ephistaemi are merely the collectors of talent for hire. If this was indeed an Ephistaemi led job, then there is probably someone more significant who wanted it accomplished. That person would likely not be a member of the Ephistaemi. Furthermore, if this was done by the Ephistaemi you can bet that the person who wanted it done has wealth or power.”

Brandt smiled and quickly added to the wyrm’s comment. “Or, perhaps they have both.”

Rhema’s father continued to pour through the new information in his mind as it was presented. “Be that as it may, but who would benefit from the destruction of this villa? The red wyrm is dead! From an economic perspective, the people of Huetown benefit enormously from the training process that goes on here. Lord Ironblood is paid well for his silence and certainly he doesn’t want to lose out on my patronage. Nobody else besides those who are trained here should even know of what goes on in this place!”

Brandt scratched his chin. “Grick is still serving time in Lord Ironblood’s jail in Fingerdale, correct?”

Ischarus nodded. “As far as I could tell, yes. And that’s assuming that you can trust Warden Farette and Captain Jacobseille.”

The foursome smiled at the instant memory of the past events when Ischarus was thrown in jail. Semeion replied in all sincerity to Ischarus’ assertion as he realized that his feelings had mellowed over time. “Yes, and in spite of locking up an innocent man for a short period of time they did get it right in the end. You can’t really fault them for doing their job, that’s for sure.”

Brandt grinned as if he understood a private inside joke. “No, that much is very true. Captain Jacobseille and the warden are quite thorough. That is probably why Lord Ironblood has kept them in service for all this time.”

Charis also smiled at the memory. “And with any luck, they will continue to serve. But either way, as far as we know Grick is still in jail and will remain there for several more years because he attempted to kill more than once.”

Brandt looked down once more to the dagger. “Something doesn’t feel right, then. If we assume for a moment that this was an Ephistaemi attack, then there has to be a grand motivation to bring this about. This destruction would have cost a small fortune or a tremendously large favor in exchange. Something must have brought this about.”

Every one of the four party members shook their head in disbelief. None of them had any answers. The significant threats had already been removed from the equation. Those threats that remained should not have had enough justification to cause this type of destruction.

Rhema turned to her father and looked deep into his eyes. He had gained a remarkable composure since his earlier outbursts. She felt his tension ease as everyone shared in the unbelievable truth that lay at their feet in the form of ash. The more the answers eluded the gathered party the more Rhema’s father could share in the frustration. When Rhema understood that her father was more able to honestly answer questions she decided to speak. “Father, there is no figure from your past that might have brought this about is there? We are almost positive that the destruction did not come through the adventures into Quehalost of the four of us. If we can assume that the villa was not burned by someone who stood against just Ischarus and myself, then could it have been from your past?”

Rhema’s father shook his head slowly. “That is unlikely. For the past four years I have been intentionally inactive. For many years before that I was only active in a few minor political circles. I doubt that there are many people in the world who are not on my payroll and who still remember that I exist!”

Brandt lightly gripped the tip of the blade of the dagger between the ends of his index finger and his thumb. He looked once more at the blade in his hand and then extended the handle to Rhema’s father. “I believe this is yours, sir. And I believe that we have a certain mystery on hand.”

Chapter Two: DECEPTION REVEALED

Ischarus looked up from the markings along the dagger’s face and handle. “It’s nothing that I have seen before. I mean, it’s a ceremonial dagger, of course. But I’ve never seen these markings.” Slowly Ischarus walked back towards the party. He turned the dagger over several times in his hands in an attempt to look for any other evidence of hidden symbols. He couldn’t find any.

Semeion met him half way and extended out his hand to receive the dagger. “Do you mind if I take a look? I have studied arcane symbols to some extent.” Of course, Semeion completely forgot that Brandt and Ausaphaborishan were present and would likely have been able to recognize any symbol that Semeion could identify. He shook his head slowly and handed the blade back to Ischarus. “Nope, I don’t really recognize it either. It’s clearly a hidden message of some kind. The crescent moon is etched in outline only and the engraving of the dagger is no less basic in design.”

Brandt’s eyes narrowed as Semeion spoke of the symbol. “I’m sorry, did you say crescent moon and dagger?” His voice betrayed a subtle tone of alarm.

Semeion turned his head around sharply at Brandt’s intrusion. “Yeah. It’s a crescent moon with a dagger plunged halfway though it. Does that symbol mean something to you?”

Brandt looked up to Ausaphaborishan. He noticed that the dragon appeared as worried as he felt. “If it is what I think it is, then you have found a ceremonial dagger of the Ephistaemi. And, no, that is not a good thing.”

Rhema’s father stepped towards Semeion and held out his hand to receive the blade. Rhema was not more than a step behind him when the man spoke to Brandt. “But I have never heard of such a people. Are they a race? And what could they have against me?”

Brandt smiled at the simple questions. “No, the Ephistaemi are not a race of people. The best way to describe them is that they are an organization.”

Ausaphaborishan’s deep and rumbling voice interrupted Brandt from above. “You are being much to kind, Brandt. They are not an organization like we would think of. They are more like an international Maven’s Guild. They are experts at what they do. Not all of them are evil, but neither are all of them good as well.”

Rhema spoke up to further her father’s questions. She was largely confused by Ausaphaborishan’s explanation. “Experts? I am sure that whoever caused this kind of destruction is indeed at expert at dealing with fiery destruction! But why would bunch of experts do this?”

Brandt continued the explanation now that Ausaphaborishan had clarified his earlier point. “The Ephistaemi pride themselves on being able to get into places where other people intend to keep them out. They delight in accomplishing the once thought impossible. Yet they are not all evil, greedy, self-motivated demolition experts as one might suspect from the example before us. The driving force of the Ephistaemi is the ability to defeat the challenge and thus earn the rewards. Sometimes their skills are hired legitimately to accomplish an honorable task. As we can see before us, there are those among their ranks who take less than upstanding jobs on the side.”

Rhema’s father’s face turned red with anger. “This destruction was done for the sake of the challenge? I have lost everything simply because it was nearly impossible to pull the task off?”

Brandt rubbed his chin as he thought of the proper words to use in reply. As he did, Rhema reached out and stroked her father’s shoulders to help calm him down. She spoke lightly to him once she felt the tense muscles under his cloak. “Father, please. Brandt and Ausaphaborishan are not at fault, here. They know no more about why this happened than we do.”

Brandt continued once Rhema was done trying to soothe her father’s fury. “The Ephistaemi do not have a collective purpose. They are more like a clearinghouse for unique jobs. I have heard of tortured people joining the Ephistaemi to apprentice under a master so that they can become skilled in whatever means they wish to execute their revenge. I’ve heard of thieves joining the Ephistaemi simply because they believe it is honorable to steal from the wealthy in order to demonstrate just how insecure the wealth standing is of the nobility. There are members of the Ephistaemi who join so that they have an avenue to be a private investigator or even a spy. Not all the Ephistaemi are bad or join for the wrong reasons. About the only thing that is true about the whole collective of Ephistaemi is that they join because their talents are often in rare supply and they involve skills that you wouldn’t want to publicly announce. Even good skills, like those of a bounty hunter who is hired to find a kidnapped child, could be found within the ranks of the Ephistaemi. The Ephistaemi are secretive, but not necessarily evil in total.”

Charis spoke from her position just outside the rest of the party. “But what I hear you saying is that although a member of the Ephistaemi may have done this that it wasn’t because the Ephistaemi wanted it done.”

Ausaphaborishan chuckled and a deep rumble spread across the land covered in ash. “You would make Llywessiar proud, Charis. That is precisely what Brandt is saying. The Ephistaemi are merely the collectors of talent for hire. If this was indeed an Ephistaemi led job, then there is probably someone more significant who wanted it accomplished. That person would likely not be a member of the Ephistaemi. Furthermore, if this was done by the Ephistaemi you can bet that the person who wanted it done has wealth or power.”

Brandt smiled and quickly added to the wyrm’s comment. “Or, perhaps they have both.”

Rhema’s father continued to pour through the new information in his mind as it was presented. “Be that as it may, but who would benefit from the destruction of this villa? The red wyrm is dead! From an economic perspective, the people of Huetown benefit enormously from the training process that goes on here. Lord Ironblood is paid well for his silence and certainly he doesn’t want to lose out on my patronage. Nobody else besides those who are trained here should even know of what goes on in this place!”

Brandt scratched his chin. “Grick is still serving time in Lord Ironblood’s jail in Fingerdale, correct?”

Ischarus nodded. “As far as I could tell, yes. And that’s assuming that you can trust Warden Farette and Captain Jacobseille.”

The foursome smiled at the instant memory of the past events when Ischarus was thrown in jail. Semeion replied in all sincerity to Ischarus’ assertion as he realized that his feelings had mellowed over time. “Yes, and in spite of locking up an innocent man for a short period of time they did get it right in the end. You can’t really fault them for doing their job, that’s for sure.”

Brandt grinned as if he understood a private inside joke. “No, that much is very true. Captain Jacobseille and the warden are quite thorough. That is probably why Lord Ironblood has kept them in service for all this time.”

Charis also smiled at the memory. “And with any luck, they will continue to serve. But either way, as far as we know Grick is still in jail and will remain there for several more years because he attempted to kill more than once.”

Brandt looked down once more to the dagger. “Something doesn’t feel right, then. If we assume for a moment that this was an Ephistaemi attack, then there has to be a grand motivation to bring this about. This destruction would have cost a small fortune or a tremendously large favor in exchange. Something must have brought this about.”

Every one of the four party members shook their head in disbelief. None of them had any answers. The significant threats had already been removed from the equation. Those threats that remained should not have had enough justification to cause this type of destruction.

Rhema turned to her father and looked deep into his eyes. He had gained a remarkable composure since his earlier outbursts. She felt his tension ease as everyone shared in the unbelievable truth that lay at their feet in the form of ash. The more the answers eluded the gathered party the more Rhema’s father could share in the frustration. When Rhema understood that her father was more able to honestly answer questions she decided to speak. “Father, there is no figure from your past that might have brought this about is there? We are almost positive that the destruction did not come through the adventures into Quehalost of the four of us. If we can assume that the villa was not burned by someone who stood against just Ischarus and myself, then could it have been from your past?”

Rhema’s father shook his head slowly. “That is unlikely. For the past four years I have been intentionally inactive. For many years before that I was only active in a few minor political circles. I doubt that there are many people in the world who are not on my payroll and who still remember that I exist!”

Brandt lightly gripped the tip of the blade of the dagger between the ends of his index finger and his thumb. He looked once more at the blade in his hand and then extended the handle to Rhema’s father. “I believe this is yours, sir. And I believe that we have a certain mystery on hand.”
[/Sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases