Inspire Courage Optimization

Korak

First Post
I don't know about the style of most other peoples games, but the major factor that always keeps bards out of my groups' games is the fact that most bard abilities are mind-affecting. We tend to make it a priority to be mind blanked most, if not all the time after we reach 15-16th level. However, with boni of this magnitude available, it might compensate for the lack of protection from divinations and dominations.

Darklone

Slaved said:
But bards do not suck even straight from just the players handbook. This is an optimization thread. Those are not the same thing.

It looks like the cost to say "Bards don't suck, see?" is free as everything you need is in the online system resource document.
Careful, Slaved, or Firebeetle will start his yearly "Bards suck" thread for the second time this year :D

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Firebeetle said:
Thank you for making my point clear.

The price of suckage:

Eberron Campaign Setting - $39.95
Book of Exalted Deeds - $32.95
Spell Compendium - $39.95
Complete Mage - $29.95
DMG II - $39.95
Complete Adventurer - $29.95

Cost to be able to say "Bards don't suck, see?"- $212.70

Of course, there is more material in other books, including the new Complete Scoundrel, adding to that total. I personally can't invest $300 into my bard character, thank you very much.

Y'all can have the last word. Money speaks loudest and I am done.

What does this thread have to do with bards sucking? The topic was optimizing a particular bard ability as a thought experiment, not the topic you seem to think it was.

Sounds like you have some issues...

Mistwell

He did raise the issue of Complete Scoundrel. I didn't see anything in that book that boosts Inspire Courage. Did anyone else? Would be nice if it did!

Mistwell

Korak said:
I don't know about the style of most other peoples games, but the major factor that always keeps bards out of my groups' games is the fact that most bard abilities are mind-affecting. We tend to make it a priority to be mind blanked most, if not all the time after we reach 15-16th level. However, with boni of this magnitude available, it might compensate for the lack of protection from divinations and dominations.

Can't you volunteer to miss the save, or does mind blank block everything regardless of your desire?

Mistwell

So the Dread Pirate prestige class, from Complete Adventurer, might combine with this build.

Rally the Crew (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, an honorable dread pirate can inspire his allies (including himself) to great bravery in combat once per day. This inspiration grants them a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and weapon damage rolls. To be affected, an ally must be able to see or hear the dread pirate. The effect requires a free action to activate and lasts for 1 minute per class level, even if the dread pirate moves out of range or loses consciousness. This is a mind-affecting ability. At 7th level, a dread pirate can use this ability twice per day, and the bonus increases to +2. If a dread pirate has the inspire courage bardic music ability, he can add the morale bonus gained from that ability to the morale bonus gained from this ability to determine the total morale bonus granted. For example, an 8th-level bard/3rd-level dread pirate would provide a +3 morale bonus on attack rolls and weapon damage rolls.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Mistwell said:
So the Dread Pirate prestige class, from Complete Adventurer, might combine with this build.
Looks like you're definitely right--of note, the Dread Pirate bonus would not be doubled by Words of Creation, though.

Remove ads