Newbie Question - Wizard/Sorcerer Spell Selection?

Ricimer

First Post
Paul,

Each class has a spell list in the PHB they can choose from. This list is directly before the spell descriptions where it tells you what the spell does, how it looks, how it works etc.

There are Seperate spell lists for a bard, ranger, druid, paladin, cleric, and the arcanes (sorcerer's and wizards use the same spell list).

A bard and a sorcerer learn their spells once and are stuck with them. No adding, changing, removing etc. But they don't have to prepare, so they can cast what they need, when they need, it as many times as they need it (up to thier limit, and if they know the spell of course). Now, if they don't know a spell they need often (like monster summoning 1) they can always use a scroll, wand or item to do it for them.

Wizards can obtain spells, one might say collect them. They can collect as many as they can afford (and it can get quite pricey, this is a bit of a balance point). BUT despite having a Huge selection that can change they must prepare thier spells. In the morning they have to look at thier collection and choose which ones to prepare and make ready for use that day. They think...hmm to get rid of the monsters a fireball is good, and Fly will put me out of harms reach, and haste is always good...but if they need a spell they did not prepare (like a nice invisibility), they cannot cast it even if its in thier spell book. They must use a scroll, wand or magic item to do it for them, just like the sorcerer.

theoretically, they can get every spell on their spell list (not cast them all, but be able to if they have time to get it ready). But this is EXPENSIVE, really really expensive just to put into the permanent spell book. To obtain the scrolls is going to be costly. And many the DM may say you have to trade for with other wizards or research on your own for a few days/weeks/months.

Druids, clerics, rangers and paladins, while all having different spells availiable to them at different times are run the same. These are the Divine spellcasters. They get thier spellcasting not through hard study or sheer power (wizards, sorcerer/bard respectively) but they get it a gift from thier diety.

They each have a spell list, and during the morning they can prepare ANY spell on THEIR spell list. Not any spell in the PHB but on thier spell list. Of course you can only prepare spells you can cast (so no preparing that nice miracle when you're 1st level). And you can only prepare as many spells as you have spell slots. And, like the wizard, once prepared these spells are locked for the DAY only. The next morning you can change your line up.

Benefits of the divine spellcasting: No worries about finding/choosing spells to have available long term. I.e. no spellbook, AND you don't have to worry about getting stuck with one like the sorcerer. Disadvantage: much smaller spell lists. Not as big a selection. Also there can be other limitations, like a nature diety not liking magick that creates undead and abominations for example. This can limit your available choices even more.

You CAN prepare spells multiple times by the way. So the wizard can prepare 2 fireballs from his spell book so he can cast 2 fireballs later that day. You can't use more spell slots than you have though, so if you can cast 5 3rd level spells a day you can't prepare 6 fireballs.

That help?

Paul_Klein

Explorer
It does. I'm pretty sure I understand now.

I know the d20 system pretty well (grew up on it with Star Wars), but now that I'm "officially" playing D&D, I have some hurdles to jump over :)

Thanks everyone.

Darklone

I have to agree with Hong that sorcerers are easier to play for newbies IF someone helps them to choose their spells. If not: Play a fighter! No... a barbarian!

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Just to add to Ricimer's and Christian's excellent posts.

A spellcaster can also prepare or cast a lower level spell in a higher level slot, as long as they are able to prepare/cast those higher level slots. For example, your 4th level wizard has 4 cantrip slots, 3 first level slots, and 2 second level slots. Let's say for some reason you need to prepare 4 first level spells. You can prepare 3 in your first level slots and 1 more in one of your second level slots. You can always prepare a lower level spell in a higher level slot.

This is only for those spellcasters who prepare their spells (wizards, clerics, et. al.). You may leave a few slots open in the morning when you prepare your spells. Then, later that day, you may prepare spells in those open slots.

Finally, don't forget about bonus spells for a high requisite ability score. Your 4th level wizard normally gets 4, 3, and 2 spells per day. But if your Intelligence score is 14, you get one bonus spell per day of first and second level spells. So you actually get 4, 4, and 3 spells per day.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
hong said:
I would actually say that if you're a new player, you're better off going with the sorc rather than the wizard. The sorc chooses spells at each level; but the wizard has to choose spells every day.

Except, he doesn't really have to choose every day. I don't know anybody who cooks up a new spell selection every day. Mostly they make small changes on their previous day's list, or they have a few standard lists that they choose among.

It's true that this process can be daunting for a newbie, and unless you're prepared to reevaluate your spell list every day you're not getting maximum use out of being a wizard. However, it's pretty valid to take a wizard who largely sticks with a standard selection of prepared spells until you get more comfortable with the process.

Sure, it's not optimal, but newbies shouldn't be thinking about optimizing anyway precisely because it's too much for 'em. There's something to be said in favor of not having too many decisions that will stick with you for the rest of your career.

Remove ads