How to be a party leader?

Saladrex

First Post
Hello,

Any advice on how to make a Paladin become a leader (and a successful one) of a party? Basically its a "good" party, but with two CNs on it.
I mean: do what in which situations...

hmmm...

Reynard

Legend
NOTE: I am generally DM, so the following is based on what i *see*, not necessarily what I *do*.

First of all, becoming "partyy leader" can have a wide variety of meanings, and which meaning you prefer colors how you might go about it. Also, there is the question of whether you mean partyy leader (as in PCs) or group leader (as in players). in my experience, they tend to be the same person, and they tend to be the same person over and over again. It changes sometimes, based upon DM, setting, and group dynamics, but overall, if you play with the same group all the time, you generally see the same players (and their characters) take on the leadership role.

On to an answer that might actually be of interest and/or help to you: The best way to become party leader is to be decisive, but not overbearing. That means that when the party has listened to the old man in the bar and are talking about what to do next, you listen to everyone then make a decision. You don't want to just yell it out, but we all know how those "group decision making exercises" can bog down. So just make the decision. (By the way, if it turns out to be a bad one, guess who gets all the blame). This tactic should be used in any situation in which the game starts to bog down because of extraneous discussion. Everybody (including the DM) appreciates the player that can keep the game moving.

The other thing to do on a regular basis is act on behalf of the rest of the party. If someone is in trouble, heal them with your last potion. If someone has angered a tough NPC, go to bat for them. If two PCs are in an argument, resolve it in a way that is good for both characters. these kinds of things keep you on everyone's short list when they are looking for help and guidance.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Being a party leader can be difficult if the party isn't looking to be led...

That being said, if your group plays with an eye toward CHA being a stat that actually means something (rather than just another # to crunch for sorc and bard spells, or the basis of undead turning, for example), then it might be easier than you thought. Because the paladin will usually have a higher charisma, other characters may give his suggestions more weight than, say, someone with a below average CHA. This gives a great in game reason for people to listen to your character.

Assuming that 1) the party is looking to be led and 2) in game reasons (like high CHA) exists for you to lead, the key at that point is to learn everyone's strength. Once you know who in the party is the best to do any one task, start helping make sure that those people gravitate to those tasks. Stop short of assigning, but statements like "I think that you'd be the best to deal with that" are appropriate. This will help give other players/characters the idea that you know what your talking about.

Once people have confidence in your judgement, confidence in your decisions follow closely behind, and that is the point that party leadership develops.

OR...

Another way to develop party leadership is to predetermine character loyalties. If you think that someone needs to try their hand at party leadeship, make sure that other characters feed into that situation. Build a party dynamic from character generation.

Hope these suggestions come in handy!

Something about good leaders that is true outside of roleplaying:

A leader listens to the advice (especially from someone with more knowledge in the area being discussed than the leader has), and then makes a decision.

This is important in a game because you need to allow the other players to contribute to the game.

Also, once making a decision the leader must accept any failures from that choice is his own. It is no good to listen to someone, accept their advice and then blame them if it goes wrong.

HTH

Duncan

Volefisk

First Post
Leaders

A lot of very good advice has been posted here, though more theoretical than practical.

In my experience as both DM and player, the position of group leader almost exclusively falls on the character that doesn't want to be leader, but is willing to reluctantly accept the responsibility. The take-charge types that openly make an effort to claim the position of group leader most often alienate the other players/characters. It is the active, but non-threatening character whom doesn't want to be the leader that usually gets thrust into the role.

<volefisk>

Remove ads