Dungeonscape Answers

Ashanderai

Explorer
I would simply treat each dramatic "scene" of roleplaying as an encounter with smaller or less important "scenes" being incorporated into larger more encompassing ones. For example, roleplaying a typical tavern information gathering scene could be incorporated with the shopping scene that takes place in the bazaar for the purpose of inspiration points as these might be less dramatic (in most games), but important none-the-less, while a roleplaying scene at a ball where combat is not expected, but meetings with numerous important NPCs is would be an encounter in and of itself for the purposes of using inspiration points. Of course, if combat ensues because of the PCs actions when the DM otherwise does not expect it to does not constitute resetting the inspiration points (as another way to encourage PCs to find more creative means to resolve problems), but any combat the DM has planned should allow for the inspiration points to be reset at full.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Damn. If I had seen the Beast Heart adept earlier, my Totemist would have gone in a completely different direction.

Cleric in a box makes me smile. I cant wait to see what the other adventuring kits they include are like.

mearls

Hero
Assume that the factotum regains his inspiration points with five minutes of rest. Man, that's an annoying oversight. The funny thing is that some of his abilities, like the skill bonus, have restrictions precisely so they work fine outside of combat.

I'll pass a note along to customer service.

Sorry guys!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Thanks for clarifying that Mike!

*has decided he REALLY likes Factorum just as much as Savant* Just that Savant is a better helper in some ways. But overall, I like Factorum. ;)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
DreadArchon said:
I can almost see justifying it as being powered off of the souls of the surrounding masses, but then again I would never take a feat that only works in major cities.
If you played in an urban campaign, you might. The ship's mage and storm mage feats are equally narrow in their application (Stormwrack and Frostburn, respectively), but both are pretty darn good feats in the appropriate environment.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Particle_Man said:
Note how my first post in this thread talks about Small paladins, like halfings and gnomes, that would be riding the mounts in question. And how I said a Knight *on* Horse is cooler, IMHO, than Knight on Riding Dog or Knight with Dog. *Not* Knight followed by horse.
Knights of whatever size riding around inside a dungeon aren't cool, unless their mount is a fox and it's the Goblin King's dungeon. :p

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hmm, the factotum (and count me as another who likes "journeyman" better, even though I know that word's definition isn't as appropriate) is another class with the cleric's issue about adding spells from non-core sources. I wish it was spelled out more like the war mage advanced learning ability does.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Just picked mine up today. Sweet book! I haven't seen a book yet that got this in-depth about good encounter design. Its about time.

Thumbs up also to

-the Traps section, particularly Encounter Traps

-the Dungeon Design section...all of it.

-the overall missive of the book, which seems to lean towards introducing the fantastical and far-out to your dungeon without turning it into a random fun-house that doesn't make any sense.

-I also applaud the whole "yeah there should be some logic to a dungeon, but keeping it "realistic" only goes so far too." tone of the work.

-Rot Grub Swarm!

Only thing I wonder is, with Dungeons being one half of the title of the game, why did it take this long to produce this book?

Excellent job.

Remove ads