D&D 3E/3.5 ToB: Bo9S - Nifft's Compendium

hong

WotC's bitch
Maybe the martial assassin should be d6 HD and get 1d6 sneak attack per 2 levels, like most roguish classes?

Also, "martial assassin" sounds a bit... mundane. Not that I can think of a better alternative right now.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Dr. McNinja!

Okay, write-ups for the last school (formerly known as Medical Ninja, now with the equally terrible name Dr.McNinja) are up.

I've added (Su) descriptors to some of the maneuvers, and made one maneuver [Evil] and another one [Good]. Specific changes:
- Reduced Soul Activation's fast healing to 5 (was 10); now I think it's comparable to Supreme Blade Parry.
- Tendon Crippling Grip can reduce you to 0 ft. movement, but it should be fairly easy to cure (outside of combat). And you can always crawl. Because it's a penalty, though, it won't stack with itself. Yes, sometimes it sucks to be a Dwarf. :]
- Chakra Blade damage reduced below what Superior Unarmed Strike grants; made it (Su) so the damage is magical.

There are some things that I'm not entirely happy with, but I'll save my concerns for a future post -- for now, please rip these new ones up! Let me know what's unclear, let me know what's just plain wrong. Some of them were quite troublesome.

I'm not done correcting all the errors reported so far (thanks again Flamewarrior)... but hopefully this weekend I'll have time to address all of them and fix my mistakes.

Thanks, -- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
hong said:
Maybe the martial assassin should be d6 HD and get 1d6 sneak attack per 2 levels, like most roguish classes?

Also, "martial assassin" sounds a bit... mundane. Not that I can think of a better alternative right now.

Yeah... but I prefer to be plainly descriptive than to impose flavor on someone else's campaign. Feel extremely free to rename it for your campaign. :)

Between the stance (Assassin's Stance) and the boost (Ambush Tactics), I see this guy being about on-par with other Rogue-likes when he really wants to lay down Sneak Attack damage. I really don't want him to be as good at it as a core Rogue without expending some of his class features, though.

Cheers, -- N

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'd like to suggest Circle of Seven (Or Circle of Heaven) for the Dr. McNinja name... since there are traditionally seven chakras in the body. Circle of Heaven just *sounds* cooler, though. :)

GreatLemur

Explorer
Nifft said:
Okay, write-ups for the last school (formerly known as Medical Ninja, now with the equally terrible name Dr.McNinja) are up.
As much as I love Dr. McNinja--great comic--I'd steal Eloi's nomenclature and call the style "Enlightened Physician".

EDIT: Then again, that sounds more like a class. Following the usual format of martial styles from Tome of Battle, I'd go with something like Sublime Breath. Something breath-related, anyway, since that word is the literal translation of "qi".

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Goodbye, Dr.McNinja...

Clearly the mechanics won't get any attention until this name is fixed. :)

- - -

Valetudo Iugum

"Valetudo" -- health; good health, bad health
"Iugum" -- yoke, join, pair; harness, union

It's not Asian, but it is foreign.

- - -

Alternately, something based around the Staff of Asclepius (which is the whole reason the school favors the quarterstaff, of course).

Serpent Rod
Serpent Staff

Viper Helix Rod
Orroborus Staff

Serpent Bough
Wood Serpent
Wood Wyrm
Wood Dragon

...er... still not good. :(

Thanks, -- N

atom crash

First Post
"Chakra Khan"? :p

EDIT: In the Word document where I've yoinked and compiled this stuff, I'm using the moniker "Violet Spider," if only because it kinda sounds cool.

saucercrab

Explorer
GreatLemur said:
As much as I love Dr. McNinja--great comic--I'd steal Eloi's nomenclature and call the style "Enlightened Physician".

EDIT: Then again, that sounds more like a class. Following the usual format of martial styles from Tome of Battle, I'd go with something like Sublime Breath. Something breath-related, anyway, since that word is the literal translation of "qi".
I agree with this as well. A two-word title with "breath" in it would be fitting. Too bad I can't find anything to go with it. The best I can come up with right now is Life's Breath, but the other style names aren't in the possessive. :(

(I've been trying to look for a flower or something that is symbolic of or derived from life.)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Ouroboros Breath - It's got a nice ring to it, and the possessive can be implicit, or ignored, just like Tiger Claw.

Serpent Breath - As above, but fewer syllables and less symbolism.

Life Wheel - That's got some duality in it.

Wheel of Life - It's not two words, but WoL is unambiguous at least. I guess someone has to make the first predicated ninja school. Also, it's kinda badass to be able to say, "I will break you on the Wheel of Life."

Hmmm... thoughts?

Cheers, -- N

EDIT: Ooo, another thought: Vital Wheel or Vital Breath.

Remove ads