Heart of Artifice: Part I--Engineered Enigma

Patlin

Explorer
Anvuss considers admitting a role in recovering one such tome, but decides against it. As usual, though, once he begins speaking the questions pour out of him one after another, without sensibly stopping and waiting for an answer to a previous question before posing the next.

"What is the non-mithril exotic material, and is it sufficiently exotic that we might be able to isolate a wrongdoer based on access to it? Also, who might wish to frame you for abducting your own daughter... you have eliminated Helen as a possible culprit, so who does that leave? Are you perhaps in a position to accept some sort of windfall, promotion or honor which would fall to another if you were somehow disgraced? Is it possible anyone seeks to abduct Lucy based on some ability or quality of her own, and merely seeks to shift the responsibility to you in order to help clear their own path? I've heard of magics keyed to bloodlines. Is your bloodline or helens bloodline the key to any sort of treasure, secret or place? Also, we noted it is unlikely that the pieces here if properly assembled would actually function. Do you have any way to tell whether the 'construct' was actually given motive force by a spell or power rather than through the merit of its own construction?"

Patlin

Explorer
Erekose13 said:
Adding to Anvuss' line of questioning, Aethelus adds, "Was Lucy dragonmarked?"

"Excellent question! At what age do dragonmarks manifest? Is she of the right age to be newly manifesting a dragonmark?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
"El, darling, from the way you looked at it, I can tell you don't know what the material is either. I know I can count on you to handle the rest while I run some tests on that, right?"

"But of course, my love," Elizabeth replies with certainty, giving Professor Henley a quick kiss before he gets up to go check out the materials, "Good luck, honey!"

*The Professor leaves to check the material, heading back upstairs.*

"Okay, let's see. Diggy and I don't of any upcoming promotion or honour, but those usually are decided without the honouree's knowledge anyway."

"There's nothing in the family bloodline, or Helen's, of interest of which we are aware, and that includes Dragonmarks. The Henleys have always been simple folk, and the Kirkes have dabbled slightly in the arcane with no great distinction in many years. I can be sure about Diggy's bloodline, but I suppose it is possible Helen knows more about her own. Did you ask her?"

"Hmm...you think it was an animated object instead? There's no way to tell if there aren't any magical residuals left, but I'm fairly sure that the spell is too clumsy to animate something so complicated anyway and let it fly--it seems from Helen's description that they were indeed constructs."

Erekose13

Explorer
"No, I should've but I didn't think of it till now." he replies to Elizabeth. To Anvuss he adds, "Dragonmarks can manifest at any point in a person's life, though they are often triggered by a particularly stressful event."

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Elizabeth nods.*

"Is there anything else? If not, we still need to wait a bit for Diggy to finish that analysis...Want to chat?"

"Anvuss, if it isn't a sensitive subject, when were you born?"
she uses born to refer to the creation of a Warforged, not a usually terminology, used most often by those who are most sympathetic to the Warforged, "Were you always an Artificer, or did you choose that path for yourself?"

Velmont

First Post
"What a start, we have a kidnapped girl and the only clue we have is a construct turned into pieces..." tells Kharas to himself. Kharas straes a moment at the pieces. "Just a wild guess like that, could the Lord of Blades? I know he doesn't trust the non-construct to do his job. Any chance he could have any interest in teh girl or anyone near her?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
"The Lord of Blades!" Elizabeth nearly growls, an effect that is almost comical coming from her, and one that she is unable to pull off with her light velvety voice, "No...no...he couldn't be after Lucy. There's no reason."

Velmont

First Post
"Just wondering. I met a few of his goon these last days and each time, it was a warforged. I almost got killed by one of them. But as you tell, it might be his kind to use construct, but I didn't see any motive... it's like the house Cannith. They are marvelous buidler of construct, but the house itself doesn't seem to have a motive in that. Maybe a member, but it would seem to be a personal goal." answers Kahras

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
"Anvuss, if it isn't a sensitive subject, when were you born?"[/color] she uses born to refer to the creation of a Warforged, not a usually terminology, used most often by those who are most sympathetic to the Warforged, "Were you always an Artificer, or did you choose that path for yourself?"

"I was created three months prior to the treaty of Thronehold, and was specifically designed to assist in the running of the creation forges. While I was intended from the first to be an Artificer, I have been forced to go about it in my own way. I was still less than half trained when the forge of my birth was closed down, depriving me of my assigned task. I prefer to be involved in usefull works, and I have had some success recently in finding tasks to which my skills are suited."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases