Question about Spontaneous Cleric

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
I have a question about the spontaneous casting cleric from Unearthed Arcana. It says that your number of spells per day is the same as the base cleric's (excluding domain) +1 per day per slot. So a first level cleric has 2 spells per day as a sponaneous caster.

It also says you add your domain spells to your spells known.

What I don't understand is do you still get your extra domain slot per day?

It never says anything regarding this. It just says that your number of spells per day (not counting domain, and yes, that was parenthetical in the writeup) is 1 more per level than the standard cleric and that your domain spells are automatically known.

If the answer is no, then you cast the same number of spells per day as a cleric, AND have a lot less to pick from. If the answer is yes, you cast 1 more spell per level/ day than a cleric but you have a lot less to choose from. So which is it?

Delta

First Post
The answer is "no". Like a sorcerer, this variant creates divine casters with fewer spells but more flexibility in casting each day.

Li Shenron

Legend
epochrpg said:
What I don't understand is do you still get your extra domain slot per day?

If the answer is no, then you cast the same number of spells per day as a cleric, AND have a lot less to pick from. If the answer is yes, you cast 1 more spell per level/ day than a cleric but you have a lot less to choose from. So which is it?

NO.

The extra 1 spell slot per level is exactly what was previously a "domain slot". But now you can cast (spontaneously) domain spells and regular spells with the same slots, so basically there is no need to make a difference between domain slots and regular slots.

Actually the net different is that the UA cleric has 1 more 0th-level slots.

Beside that extra "orison", the spontaneous cleric casts the same amount of spells per day as a PHB cleric, but:
- he knows much fewer
- he can cast them spontaneously
- he makes no difference between domain spells and regular cleric spells

Aries_Omega

Explorer
Thats why I don't do divine casting that way for a cleric. I do use the magic points system. I have been toying with the recharge variant but I don't understand it very well.

Speaking of UA...I been battling with a different rule issue a lot. I love the idea of test based prerequisites. I also like the idea of the prestige bard, ranger and paladin (why not...I mean blackguard you have to qualify for). I need help desperately to come up with test based prerequisites for those three...and to a lesser extent other prestige classes. Any ideas from anyone.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Yeah, actually, I was planning on making this character a prestige paladin, which is why I wanted to do spontaneous cleric instead of favored soul (I hate spell memorization)

Remove ads